OT: Avatars, the real story.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I moved to ottawa from Montreal for work back in 2007. My friends and I used to watch Seinfeld together and so naturally we drifted to Always sunny in Philadelphia which is like Seinfeld but on crack. So given that I was only 26 when I moved here, I kept the always sunny avatar as a reminder of my boys from MTL

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I like the Dos Equis commercials and the idea of a mature gent with irresistible appeal resonates with me, especially since I'm a late bloomer in many aspects of my career and personal life (I already told my wife that I don't plan on retiring until my late 70s, not uncommon among profs, or even 80s...). So I concocted this persona of his obsessively jealous understudy. :skeptic:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Currently pretending like life is better aka the 80s. Binge watching Miami vice and listening to 80s playlists. Might change it to a pic of Roy in his rookie year

• Love
Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Let me play too!

I shamelessly stole the terminator with a pimp hat picture from somethingawful.com and asked whoever was making these playoff avatars in like... I don't know... 2008? 2009? I don't remember... But everyone had this stamp with "drive for 25"... Anyway I like it and I am not going to change it.

Edit: And I don't condone proxenetism in any shape or form by the way... Just to emphasize on this, I never went to strip club in my life and I plan to keep it this way (Yes I understand that strip clubs have mostly nothing to do with prostitution but still...) . I don't know why I am drawn to this aestheticism... Go figure.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
The Big Bird was always my favourite hockey player because he could do it all, and he could do it all well! He didn’t lose it very often, but when he did, guys got hurt. In mine he’s laying a beating on Ted Irvine (also known as the father of wrestling legend Chris Jericho), and Gilles Marotte is coming in as a third man to help and jumps but misses and is promptly tackled and hog tied while Gainey and Jerry Butler wrestle around.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Eric Blair, cuz y'know, Ignorance is Strenght
I didn't even know he had a pen name and I read 5 books of him, both 1984 and Animal Farm multiple times in both French and English. :laugh:

Thankfully this is the internet, which means I can gracefully accept my lack of knowledge on a given subject with strangers... Right? :nod:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I didn't even know he had a pen name and I read 5 books of him, both 1984 and Animal Farm multiple times in both French and English. :laugh:

Thankfully this is the internet, which means I can gracefully accept my lack of knowledge on a given subject with strangers... Right? :nod:

FFS read a wikipedia page every once in awhile :rolleyes:

Jk

Depending on which edition/reprint, the foreword in one of his books mentions it. That's how I learned his real name.

We're all just really ignorant anyway

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can @HuGo Sham @NobleSix and @Runner77 tell us about their avatars?

All three have been sporting the same avy since before the garbageman came to town.
Hi Ozy, thx for asking.

Mine is Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead playing at Coachella in 2012.

Loved the image but also, it’s an homage to my son who has taken his musicianship to a level I never did by becoming a versatile pro guitarist with a penchant for Prog.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking of @Runner77 I wonder where he went. I haven't seen him post in the Playoffs threads, maybe not watching. Hope he's OK.

METS-EN! That's a meme?
I took a break. I’m only answering here cause my name came up but I’m thinking of moving on from the forum for reasons I’d rather not get into. I don’t have much to show for my 10 years here, so it’s probably for the best.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I took a break. I’m only answering here cause my name came up but I’m thinking of moving on from the forum for reasons I’d rather not get into. I don’t have much to show for my 10 years here, so it’s probably for the best.
...bullshyte, amigo...you have friends here...we've never met and I consider you a friend...

...and yes, I went creepy...

dealwithit.gif

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Not every endeavor is about productivity. Just like Seinfeld, my posts here are about absolutely nothing. But for the most part, I've enjoyed myself. I can be productive the rest of the time. And my posts date back to my days as JapanMontrealExpat, going back to 2001, through GermanyMontrealExpat (06-08), NCarolinaMtlExpat (08-11) and my current instantiation. Nothing useful, but a resolutely contrarian and hockey-passionate viewpoint.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I’m always thinking I should leave too. Just get so consumed with it, it’s the only social media I take part in too. And I hardly post compared to the majority, and on top of that everyone says everything so quick and so well hockey wise, all I can add are jokes and sarcasm. But the Habs addiction is real.

Anyway, probably sharing too much, but I understand the feeling.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...bullshyte, amigo...you have friends here...we've never met and I consider you a friend...
Thx man, you and our fellow posters are special to me and always will be.

I didn’t post during last year’s Stanley Cup Final, nor will I post on this forum during the Draft or any other activity generated by HuGo and those are only the most appealing things for a longtime fan.

My fellow posters are doing a great job keeping the forum interesting. I have no regrets.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I’m always thinking I should leave too. Just get so consumed with it, it’s the only social media I take part in too. And I hardly post compared to the majority, and on top of that everyone says everything so quick and so well hockey wise, all I can add are jokes and sarcasm. But the Habs addiction is real.

Anyway, probably sharing too much, but I understand the feeling.

...that's why most of us are here, amigo...what do I add, besides comic relief that is light on comedy??...most of the time, nothing...I'm here for ME, not to impress anyone with my hot takes or knowledge of fancy stats or whatever...I'm a lifelong Habs fan and enjoy talking with other lifelong Habs fans and hockey fans in general...and I've met some really awesome people, like yourself, Runner, and lots of others that I would have never had a chance to meet, let alone shoot the shyte with...I might disappear for awhile every now and then (last year/this year for reasons outside my control for the most part), but I'm always happy when I come back and see y'all still here and "fighting the good fight", as in just having fun having fun...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Thx man, you and our fellow posters are special to me and always will be.

I didn’t post during last year’s Stanley Cup Final, nor will I post on this forum during the Draft or any other activity generated by HuGo and those are only the most appealing things for a longtime fan.

My fellow posters are doing a great job keeping the forum interesting. I have no regrets.

...I get it, amigo...if it is what I think it is, that pissed me off too and, unlike you, I deserved, for the most part, at least some if not alot of the crap I got...just don't let that, if that is what it is, stop you from at least dropping by to chat with a few friends...I for one would miss you...

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
My first avy was the Carina Nebula because I was in awe of it's stunning beauty and it was part and parcel of what drew me to astrophysics.
1655701419812.png

My second avy was the no mediocrity that I put up in in 2018 to signal my frustration with Bergevin not being able to pick a direction.
1655701497904.png

My current avy is when the Habs were crowned Kings of the North last year:
1655701738920.png

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Over the years I've had several, so I can't remember them all. I started with a picture of a Habs key chain. That was followed by picture of the Kovalev/Tucker hit. The two that really stand out for me were the Habs banner with my username and the number 10. And the one with the Simpson's monkey, wearing a Habs jersey. Both made by past posters, who sadly I've forgotten. My current one is the first picture I was sent on the day Guy died.

Also, to jump into the conversation about taking a break from HFB. As someone that does it all the time. I highly recommend taking some time away. Stepping away to spend time with your family and friends is healthy.

Take it from me, who used to spend up to 18 hours per day here on HFB as a mod/admin. It gets to you after awhile. Now after taking a break, when I come back. It's like things are new again, and the excitement of learning Habs related things is incredible. Sure I miss a lot of you while I'm away. But coming back here, it's like getting to see a bunch of old friends. So before some of you decide to pull the plug. Take a minute to think back on all the fun times that you've had here.

HabSgt

Go Habs D'OH
Oct 19, 2019
Montreal
Hey guys. I lurked here for a long time before I signed up officially after Mike Boone's HIO closed down.

My first avatar when I signed up was Tex Murphy from an old gaming series.

Tex2.jpg

Why Tex? I liked the pose & it was what I used in an old PC gaming forum I was part of & for HIO.

During the run against the Jets I had devil Flanders for Mark Scheifele mockery.

Devil Flanders.png

This led to me keeping with the Simpsons theme & Habs Homer is what I resemble most in my old age. Plus les boys make me go D'OH a lot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad