Post-Game Talk: Avalanche VS Red Wings l 12/2/18 l 7 PM EST

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
While we're discussing in-game controversies, I'd like to take a moment to mention Gabe the Showoff. So uncouth scoring an empty netter on a defeated opponent like that. The cojones on that guy!

Reactions: mantha39

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Calvert put a nasty spear into Bertuzzi. I would have done the same thing. That was well deserved.
Perhaps if Bertuzzi doesn't want to get speared, he shouldn't hold onto players sticks from the bench. And then to escalate it with an uppercut?

No, there's no way to defend that.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Perhaps if Bertuzzi doesn't want to get speared, he shouldn't hold onto players sticks from the bench. And then to escalate it with an uppercut?

No, there's no way to defend that.
Holding a stick is worth getting a 2 handed spear in the stomach? Really? It's a 2 minute penalty and not "dirty," it's just being annoying. A forceful spear to the stomach with a stick as a weapon is "dirty." He got popped for it like he deserved.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
When is the last time a player's stick got held after getting checked by the bench? I can't think of a time that I've seen that happen.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
When is the last time a player's stick got held after getting checked by the bench? I can't think of a time that I've seen that happen.
Really? It's been a while since the Wings have done that sort of thing I guess but it still goes on. As I said in the thread in the main forum, Corey Perry has made a career out of this type of thing. Spraying water in guys gloves.

When someone gets checked into the bench it's still not unheard of for someone to hang on or try to get their stick.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

The last time a guy got his stick in the opposing bench, they always grab that in scenarios like that.

Thing is most the time you see a guy get checked in the bench he leaves the stick and just goes and changes at his own bench after he extricates himself or leaves his stick and changes. The power spear attempt is something you see far less than the stick hold.

My guess is Larkin and Bertuzzi get a small fine for what they were doing there and Calvert will for the spearing action too more than likely. Nothing real big to see here in my opinion unless one of the teams asks the league for more and send the play in.

Reactions: ealong59

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
The last time a guy got his stick in the opposing bench, they always grab that in scenarios like that.

Thing is most the time you see a guy get checked in the bench he leaves the stick and just goes and changes at his own bench after he extricates himself or leaves his stick and changes. The power spear attempt is something you see far less than the stick hold.

My guess is Larkin and Bertuzzi get a small fine for what they were doing there and Calvert will for the spearing action too more than likely. Nothing real big to see here in my opinion unless one of the teams asks the league for more and send the play in.
Avs players didn't really seem too angry about it or Calvert. Nobody was crying. That's hockey. You want to spear someone you're going to get hit. Fine em all 5k each and move on.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Bert's just an agitator. I don't know why people are up in arms about what he did, that was hilarious. He probably deserves a one game suspension if he dropped his glove (which you can't really tell) but that was well worth it in a game that wasn't a high scoring affair. Gets the fans into it :laugh:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Bert's just an agitator. I don't know why people are up in arms about what he did, that was hilarious. He probably deserves a one game suspension if he dropped his glove (which you can't really tell) but that was well worth it in a game that wasn't a high scoring affair. Gets the fans into it :laugh:
There's a video in the thread on the main boards where it's pretty clear his glove is off when he punches him.

I honestly have no idea how the DoPS will react to this. I could see Bert getting a couple games but I could also see nothing coming of it.

I doubt Calvert gets much of anything. The league for whatever reason goes pretty light on spearing.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
About the same amount the Av's player gets for high sticking 3 players on the bench!! His stick never should have been in players faces on the bench. So in total none.

This is something that gets overlooked in this situation. The reason his stick got held is because his stick ended up in the bench hitting players. You have to control your stick at all times so the wings should've gotten a 2 for holding the stick and Calvert shoulda got 2 for the stick hitting those guys in the first place.

Also, if you get a chance go read the Avs board it is pretty funny. Someone was talking about how scared all the wings were of Zadorov lol. They musta missed Abdelkader doing everything in his power to get him to fight when he wanted to be a tough guy. No wings played scared tonight. Bertuzzi and Mantha both clearly won their scraps, Abdelkader was doing everything he could to get after Zadorov. The Avs got the win which is all that really matters but the back pedalling to make it sound like their team is tough is pretty funny. Bertuzzi, Abdelkader and Mantha are probably the wings 3, 4 and 5th toughest players and the Avs couldnt handle them, what if Witkowski or even Ericsson decided to get involved today? Could've been much worse for them

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
NHL board is popping off too. Lots of people are pretty upset :laugh:
its the same people from the colorado board. <MOD deleted PG-13 statement about why avs fan like calvert so much>

seriously though, spend your game against the Blues running Schenn, spend your game against the Wings running AA and Larkin - maybe if the Blues had bloodied them up more Bertuzzi wouldn't have had to get dirty tonight. also Tim Peel sucks at his job.

Last edited:

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Wow that main forum board is ridiculous. So many salty avs fans. It’s wild when at the Pepsi center for a game, the Avs can literally cross check a player in the face and fans get mad at the ref for a bad call.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Wow that main forum board is ridiculous. So many salty avs fans. It’s wild when at the Pepsi center for a game, the Avs can literally cross check a player in the face and fans get mad at the ref for a bad call.

The posts would be brilliant if the work of trolls. Unintentionally hilarious knowing they are serious. Regretting not ordering a Bertuzzi jersey on Black Friday. I'll have a layover in Denver on my way to Michigan in 2 weeks. Would love to sport his sweater for the few hours I'll be there. Just for the improbable chance one of those whiners would cross my path.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
The posts would be brilliant if the work of trolls. Unintentionally hilarious knowing they are serious. Regretting not ordering a Bertuzzi jersey on Black Friday. I'll have a layover in Denver on my way to Michigan in 2 weeks. Would love to sport his sweater for the few hours I'll be there. Just for the improbable chance one of those whiners would cross my path.

All you have to do is wear any wings gear. I wear a hat often and random people come up to me and act like it’s 1997. Best response I have is to ask who the captain was the year before Landeskog and watch them squirm. I do that with Hawkes fans too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I do think that un-gloved punch might get him a game or two. But they are likely to match whatever he gets to Calvert for the spear. Not sure, again I still kind of feel like this is a sweep it under the rug fine event.

Seems the big media types are far more interested in Kunitz's hit anyway.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
I do think that un-gloved punch might get him a game or two. But they are likely to match whatever he gets to Calvert for the spear. Not sure, again I still kind of feel like this is a sweep it under the rug fine event.

Seems the big media types are far more interested in Kunitz's hit anyway.
No nuh uh he didn’t spear him and you can’t prove it /s

Sorry, I had to see myself out of that thread after that. I agree, Bert gets a few, Calvert a few, and maybe fine the bench guys?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
No nuh uh he didn’t spear him and you can’t prove it /s

Sorry, I had to see myself out of that thread after that. I agree, Bert gets a few, Calvert a few, and maybe fine the bench guys?
I should leave the thread but keep hitting the reply button for some idiotic reason.

Bert's punch was a dirty move, but it's hilarious to me how there's so many Avs fans who are denying that Calvert was trying to spear Bertuzzi.

Honestly I'll be a bit surprised if Calvert gets suspended. The league is light on spears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad