Post-Game Talk: Avalanche VS Red Wings l 12/2/18 l 7 PM EST

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I should leave the thread but keep hitting the reply button for some idiotic reason.

Bert's punch was a dirty move, but it's hilarious to me how there's so many Avs fans who are denying that Calvert was trying to spear Bertuzzi.

Honestly I'll be a bit surprised if Calvert gets suspended. The league is light on spears.

The league traditionally is pretty light on this kind of bench stuff as long as you don't leave it to fight on ice we have seen plenty of this over the years with no supplemental discipline whatsoever.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Got to love the "Calvert aggressively came toward the bench" as to the reason why all the Red Wings players wanted to pummel him. hahahah

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Avs fans don’t really pay attention to “over the years”
There is just 95-2006/7 and 2017-present

Edit:95, typo

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I get the frustration but let's just move forward from here without the main board stuff guys/gals.

A spear is a spear.

We now just have to wait and see if the league really wants to go after Calvert and Bertuzzi for actual games in terms of what happened tonight.

Reactions: Winger98

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I still like how Bertuzzi pummeled Jensen at camp all those years ago injuring him and they still have each other's back in the NHL. Jensen assisted on Bert's first goal, too.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
I just came on to say that Bertuzzi was a complete boss this game.. this is the kind of hockey I miss. Little Bert punching that guy on the bench is the kid of grit and moxy I want to see. It’s great hockey! They were taking liberties with our skilled players and our team answered the call. Bravo, bravo.

Don’t worry, I’m sure he will get his hand slapped... so that all the enlightened(?) people complaining about it will feel better.

Last edited:
Reactions: loojay and ealong59

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
So Larkin didn't have to go through concussion protocol and miss a portion of the game? You must be confused.
Concussion protocol is not for just head shots, it is for anytime a player appears dazed. Whether it is from a hit or fall. I was more surprised AA wasn't sent.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Concussion protocol is not for just head shots, it is for anytime a player appears dazed. Whether it is from a hit or fall. I was more surprised AA wasn't sent.

Rantanen's head bounced off the ice when Larkin smoked him too. There isn't a whole lot of consistency on who the spotter takes.

Blashill admitting they tell guys never to grab for their head probably raised a few eyebrows in Toronto/New York.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Regarding the Burtuzzi-Calvert bench dance, it depends on whether the NHL looks more at intent or actual result.
Calvert missed with the spear. It looks like Bertuzzi punched the top of the helmet. He certainly didn't connect with Calvert's face because the result would have been much different.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Regarding the Burtuzzi-Compher bench dance, it depends on whether the NHL looks more at intent or actual result.
Compher missed with the spear. It looks like Bertuzzi punched the top of the helmet. He certainly didn't connect with Compher's face because the result would have been much different.

It was Bertuzzi and Calvert.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well they dont play again until March 5th. I'm hoping Witkowski is dressed for that one lol

I dunno if the intensity fades after a game like that, I have a feeling Calvert (who is a bit of a rat himself) will do something to Bertuzzi, as he should.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Glad I missed this one. Apparently I'm in the minority for not wanting to watch that type of play, but that's ok. The kids can keep playing well, and this tough stretch of schedule should help improve draft stock.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Dear Santa,

Please let lil'Bert not get suspended, or at the most get 1 game...I really - REALLY wanna see lil'Bert in action against the Maple Leafs this Thursday...I'm hoping he welcomes back that weiner - err - nice guy William Nylander back to the NHL with a thunderous body check, and be on him like a pitbull on a porkchop throughout the game.

Your pal,
FMichael

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Rantanen's head bounced off the ice when Larkin smoked him too. There isn't a whole lot of consistency on who the spotter takes.

Blashill admitting they tell guys never to grab for their head probably raised a few eyebrows in Toronto/New York.
Definitely not the smartest thing for Blashill to say.

Honestly though when guys get hit and fall to the ice grabbing their head it looks to me mostly like they're faking. Maybe it's unfair of me to say but when I've had my bell rung my instinct is not to grab my head but to try and figure out where the hell I am and get my bearings. It's not the same as grabbing your hand after taking a slash to the wrist. You're whole world is disoriented.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
With DoPS only wanting to talk with Bertuzzi, he will probably get a couple of games. His chasing Marchand around the ice on Saturday won't help his cause.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I guess I'm old man, because while I think that was a dirty play by Bert, I'm shocked at how many people act like these type of bench altercations never happen in hockey. There's people in the thread on the main forum saying how it hasn't happened in 10 years. Another one saying there should probably be a rule change to treat this the same as a guy leaving a bench to fight.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Taking the glove off before the hit, and then putting it right back on, is what probably what crossed the line for the DoPS.
A punch thrown right after the attempted spear would probably been ignored.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Taking the glove off before the hit, and then putting it right back on, is what probably what crossed the line for the DoPS.
A punch thrown right after the attempted spear would probably been ignored.
Bingo bango. By taking off the glove and immediately putting it right back on he knew what he was doing. If he kept his glove on nobody really cares, that is the kind of stuff that goes on that Lazlo is talking about.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Well if there's a silver lining to all of this it's that it's reminded me just how stupid people can be in the general hockey forum and that I shouldn't waste time there.

This was a dirty play by Bertuzzi that unsurprisingly got him a deserved 2 game suspension. But so many people denying that Calvert was trying to spear him in spite of all the video evidence is as baffling as it is hilarious.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess I'm old man, because while I think that was a dirty play by Bert, I'm shocked at how many people act like these type of bench altercations never happen in hockey. There's people in the thread on the main forum saying how it hasn't happened in 10 years. Another one saying there should probably be a rule change to treat this the same as a guy leaving a bench to fight.

It happened last week with Minnesota and Winnipeg. It is the removing of the glove that got him.

That looks like an in-house feed, jumbotron shot. Lesson learned I wouldn't share my in-house shot with the league. They put the scoreboard camera there primarily for interviews on the bench at intermissions, post-game, and occasionally NHL Network interviews. From here on out ours is tragically broken should they ask someone at LCA if I am the Wings... :laugh:

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad