GDT: Avalanche vs Rangers @MSG 5:00PM MNT 2/5/24 (Emergency GDT) New York, New York, does it really never sleep?

Parise

• Good

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Still a dirty rotten Wild at heart

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Savior

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I enjoyed that game. Fatass looked good since he had guys who can actually move on his line. Maybe good is too far. Serviceable. It was a tight game against a good team, which is probably what we needed first thing after the break to get back into things.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Rants was sh*t all game. Can't count how many times he just fumbled the puck off his stick...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
"Even played hockey game, goes to overtime, I would have liked to have been able to grab the two points out of that, but I don't think we did enough after getting lead to extend the lead or make it tougher on them," Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said. "I thought they actually got more jump as the game went on and we were a little bit tired."

Come on Jared, really?

Your team had a week off!

This excuse only counts for Mac, Cale and Georgiev, if at all.
That's a pretty unacceptable statement for a team coming off 10+ days off. The reality is that while the 3 all stars went and did their thing the rest of the team, cough cough Mikko, went to a beach somewhere and drank too much and ate too much and didn't even remotely think about staying in game shape. I single out Mikko because he didn't even try to hide it posting on his Instagram. And once again it showed as he was arguably the worst player on the ice for either team. Just about over his shit, you want a 2C plus some other nice pieces trade his ass because soon he's going to want 13M+ and simply isn't worth it.

While I do believe they are human and deserve time off, they also should know that due to the nature of their profession that doing some light workouts would probably be smart.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Make the RyJo experience stop please. Accept that you made a terrible decision and move on. Using assets to dump the guy is a better outcome than having his lazy ass on the ice.
Oh come on. You really think they haven't accepted they made a mistake with Rylo? You just have to look at how Bednar has deployed him for the past two months to realize he knows he is not the answer for a long playoffs run. I am also sure CMac and Sakic realized that quite a while ago as well just listening at reports they were looking at Lindholm and Monahan. These guys are not stupid.

They are looking at or already have a solution. It could just be that another team is waiting to see if they still have a chance for a playoffs spot. As much as all of us want guys like Pinto, Jenner, Nelson, Zegras, etc. they have to be available in the first place before a trade can happen. Even once they are available the price could be absolutely insane and making it impossible for the Avs to pull the trigger.

People here keep forgetting it takes two teams to make a trade.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Having time off doesn't always equate to being fresh and not tired. Haven't any of you gone on vacation and come back needing a vacation to recover from your vacation? A lot of people feel tired returning to work after a break. These dudes are people, not machines that just needed to be plugged in and have their batteries topped up.
They deserve time off, but as most people they need be ready for their job when they come back.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
"Even played hockey game, goes to overtime, I would have liked to have been able to grab the two points out of that, but I don't think we did enough after getting lead to extend the lead or make it tougher on them," Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said. "I thought they actually got more jump as the game went on and we were a little bit tired."

Come on Jared, really?

Your team had a week off!

This excuse only counts for Mac, Cale and Georgiev, if at all.
Bednar did seem to run an extra hard practice the day before the game. Probably wanted them to get their legs back, but I wonder if maybe that wasn't the best choice before a B2B.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
They deserve time off, but as most people they need be ready for their job when they come back.
I personally think you are holding these guys to too high a bar. The rangers had turned things on and were pushing hard in the third. The Avs were getting hemmed in their own end. Shifts were becoming over extended. Getting tired is normal, regardless of having had time off. Hockey players are trained for short intense bursts of energy and quick recovery. But when you're having 1:30m long shifts of course they are tired.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Mikko is frustrating, but he's still the 3rd best player on this team by a mile. What's more frustrating, is how obvious it is that he doesn't perform well in OT, yet Bednar throws him out there with Colton. Both are good players, but I don't think they'll ever compliment each other very well.

Once again just boils down to not having a real 2C.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Rants: Can't count how many times he just fumbled the puck off his stick...
This has been an issue all year. He flashes some amazing passes and occasional board work, but some basic passes end up going full Graves-to-the-shinpad and he is more Bambi than last season.

George gave me a game I felt confident in until about 11-12 minutes to go. Then he fumbled a couple pucks and he seemed to be fighting it the rest of the way.

A point is a point though, so good enough start back as not to panic.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Which is exactly why we need to trade his ass. He plays like the elite version of Sam Gagner.

Play like shit, collect tons of points, get paid like a 110 pts player that plays well.
I can see the argument, but the problem with that is that we're going to get railed in our asses in that trade and they'll be worse, because 40 points are going missing.

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I can see the argument, but the problem with that is that we're going to get railed in our asses in that trade and they'll be worse, because 40 points are going missing.
Doesn't have to. You may lose 40 points on the 1W spot but you gain in quality at center (or elsewhere in the lineup).

If Rants makes 13M it's a no brainer. Replace him with a 75 pts winger (who's better defensively) making 8M AAV and you have 5M to beef up the rest of the lineup and make up for those 35 points. In the end you have a better team.

...and I've not talked about the zesty return if we trade him yet.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah Mikko at 12-13M will be a cap issue especially if Landy is coming back and especially if Mikko keeps playing the way he is. There is more to this game than scoring points.

With that said if he is ever traded that trade needs to be a home run or you will certainly be making the team worst. Very often when you trade the best player part of a trade you lose that trade. However it is not always the case. You most likely lose the trade on very short term (first year after the trade) but it can certainly make you better in the longer term.

Like I always say...it is always about the return.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah Mikko at 12-13M will be a cap issue especially if Landy is coming back and especially if Mikko keeps playing the way he is. There is more to this game than scoring points.

With that said if he is ever traded that trade needs to be a home run or you will certainly be making the team worst. Very often when you trade the best player part of a trade you lose that trade. However it is not always the case. You most likely lose the trade on very short term (first year after the trade) but it can certainly make you better in the longer term.

Like I always say...it is always about the return.
I don't believe in Landy much but if he were to come back and still be first liner quality then trading Mikko next summer becomes not only a smart thing but actually THE thing to do.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Landeskog isn't coming back and if he did he's not going to be a top six forward and if he did and he was he wouldn't be a top six forward for very long.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Which is exactly why we need to trade his ass. He plays like the elite version of Sam Gagner.

Play like shit, collect tons of points, get paid like a 110 pts player that plays well.
I'm sure they'd get equal value in a trade. Sarcasm intended. He's, despite his flaws, earning every cent of his contract at this time. Worry about next contract down the line

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Landeskog isn't coming back and if he did he's not going to be a top six forward and if he did and he was he wouldn't be a top six forward for very long.
I feel quite comfortable saying that he will come back. When and how long is the issue. Will it be for only one game, these playoffs or for the rest of his career? That is the $1M question.

I'll say it again...it is very important for the Avs that he tries to come back sometimes in the next playoffs so the they can plan next season accordingly in the offseason. Obviously you don't want him to rush back but clarity before the end of this current season would go a long way for next season.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Doesn't have to. You may lose 40 points on the 1W spot but you gain in quality at center (or elsewhere in the lineup).

If Rants makes 13M it's a no brainer. Replace him with a 75 pts winger (who's better defensively) making 8M AAV and you have 5M to beef up the rest of the lineup and make up for those 35 points. In the end you have a better team.

A lot of people (me included) though the Flames would be better off short term my trading Tkachuck as well. How did that turn out?

Trading Mikko would end up the same, mark my f***ing words.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

It's a sweet idea but in the real world we likely fall short of replacing the production.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

This so spot on.

People are so blinded by his stats, that they don't see how f***ing ass his overall play has been.

At this point in time with the way 29 plays most players will do well next to him.

Look at the guys in higher pay tier they all do something elite. McDavid is the most skilled player in the league, Pasta and Matthews are both elite goal scorers who create their own chances. MacK is just a monster who straight backpacks most nights.

Rants is a complete passenger who hops on the 29 bus almost every night. Rants struggles with his skating, isn't overly physical for his size, struggles with the 200ft game. What he was great at was finding open areas of the ice and making good shots. Now he gets open but hits the logo every single time. So that's not awesome.

If the Avs pay him based off his stats you might as well throw away any Cup chances he's not the player you pay that kind of money to.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
In the real world teams with many high paid players don't win cups. That's a fact.

You can win without 3 superstars but you can't win without depth.
That seems to be true. It's a tough situation because a good trade would be great, but I think it's straight up more likely that the return fails and the window ends in a couple years regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad