GDT: Avalanche vs Rangers @MSG 5:00PM MNT 2/5/24 (Emergency GDT) New York, New York, does it really never sleep?

Parise

• Good

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Still a dirty rotten Wild at heart

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Savior

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I feel quite comfortable saying that he will come back. When and how long is the issue. Will it be for only one game, these playoffs or for the rest of his career? That is the $1M question.

I'll say it again...it is very important for the Avs that he tries to come back sometimes in the next playoffs so the they can plan next season accordingly in the offseason. Obviously you don't want him to rush back but clarity before the end of this current season would go a long way for next season.
The worst possible outcome is that Landeskog comes back as Andrew Ladd 2.0. I'm reeeeeeaaaaaally scared that will happen

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Rants struggles with his skating, isn't overly physical for his size, struggles with the 200ft game. What he was great at was finding open areas of the ice and making good shots. Now he gets open but hits the logo every single time. So that's not awesome.
The guy is on pace for 40+ goals.

Reactions: Murzu and LOFIN

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
While often optically offensive, Rantanen will get a massive contract because he's earned it.

Since breaking through in the 17/18 season he has 541 points in 456 games. He's scored 227 goals in that time. He's 8th in points and 8th in PPG in this period.

If Avs doesn't pay through the nose, there will be long line of teams willing to.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A lot of people (me included) though the Flames would be better off short term my trading Tkachuck as well. How did that turn out?

Trading Mikko would end up the same, mark my f***ing words.
I’m not advocating trading Mikko as we’d likely loose that trade. But there’s a difference there as calgary was trading away basically all his prime years where the Avs would be ridding Mikko at the end of his prime. Again not saying we should, but there is a bit of a difference between the Tkachuk trade and a hypothetical Mikko trade.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
The worst possible outcome is that Landeskog comes back as Andrew Ladd 2.0. I'm reeeeeeaaaaaally scared that will happen
Worst case the Avs buy out his contract and deal with the 2.5 mil cap hit for 8-10 years. More than likely they would LTIR him due to the surgery/procedure never fully fixing the original injury.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’m not advocating trading Mikko as we’d likely loose that trade. But there’s a difference there as calgary was trading away basically all his prime years where the Avs would be ridding Mikko at the end of his prime. Again not saying we should, but there is a bit of a difference between the Tkachuk trade and a hypothetical Mikko trade.
Not just "a bit of difference", it's a massive difference.

If anything Rants' is much closer to the Huberdeau situation. He'll be near 30, sign for 8 years at a huge AAV and likely won't deliver.

Reactions: cinchronicity

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Not just "a bit of difference", it's a massive difference.

If anything Rants' is much closer to the Huberdeau situation. He'll be near 30, sign for 8 years at a huge AAV and likely won't deliver.
Tkachuk's point total is taking a dip this year, by the way. They're a year apart.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Which is exactly why we need to trade his ass. He plays like the elite version of Sam Gagner.

Play like shit, collect tons of points, get paid like a 110 pts player that plays well.

Yeah, love Mikko and all, but I can't help think could we spend 12mil better? Can we make a better team by trading him and then fixing our weaknesses and replacing him with a worse player?

Of course it would be a ballsy move. Moving elite talent usually doesn't end up well for the team who sells.

I don't know. It's very tough situation. 12 mil would handcuff us badly though, that's for.sure.

A lot of people (me included) though the Flames would be better off short term my trading Tkachuck as well. How did that turn out?

Trading Mikko would end up the same, mark my f***ing words.

Yep, but it did work for Florida I guess.

It would be a huge gamble, trading Rantanen.

Tkachuk's point total is taking a dip this year, by the way. They're a year apart.
True but not as worried about him as Hub.

Reactions: AvsWraith

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I do not think the Avs WANT to trade Mikko. I don't think most HP posters WANT to trade Mikko. That said, the salary cap is a real thing. It is absolutely true - as many in this thread submit - that there will be teams out there which will offer Mikko $13M. That simply does not fit under the Avs cap functionally. Georgie, Byram and LOC have contracts due at the same time. With Mikko at #13M, there is not room to give each of those guys merely another $1M per year. Either Manson or Girard - and possibly both if Landy is also on the roster - will need to be jettisoned.

There is also the RSN implosion to consider. There is no guarantee that the cap will see huge increases as a significant source of league income could be off the table.

Finally, the one thing that everyone in the Avs nation does not WANT to see is Mikko leave as a free agent as some team gives him $13M or more, with the Avs getting nothing in return. Mikko's value lies in the fact that some bottom dweller thinks he is outperforming his current contract (He currently has the 29th highest salary BEFORE any raise.) If humanly possible, the Avs should find a trade partner(s) by this trade deadline. Is it possible that the return is not as productive as Mikko? Pf course! But a worse scenario is getting to this point, next year, when no partner is going to offer much for about a half season of Mikko.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
We'd be absolutely crazy to give Rants anything close to 12M. I don't care how many points he has, I'd rather not put all our eggs into one basket.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Trading Rants next summer does sound semi appealing. You probably get a monster return and avoid the cap headache. Also, assuming that he wants near max value out of the extension that will be one ugly contract once regression starts. I doubt the Avs do it though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Should be noted that Laviolette made a couple adjustments that pretty much swung momentum in the game. Sometime in the 2nd, he went from sending his checking line out against the MacKinnon line to Zibanejad's line, and that completely turned things around. It got even more lopsided when he swapped out Panarin for Wheeler and it led directly to the GTG.

That speaks to the continued lack of depth. Once they shut down MacKinnon there's not much the Avs can do, and when you get that line hemmed in, their defensive shortcomings become readily apparent. Wasn't such a huge issue when Nichushkin was on the LW but it's obvious with Drouin there. Might explain why Bednar finally broke them up in the third period of the Devils game and put Lehkonen there. Still, the Roaring 20s aren't really able to be a true 2nd line, and I don't need to mention anything about the flabby misshapen blob rolling around on the ice wearing #12.

Reactions: The Moops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad