GDT: Avalanche vs Flames 7:00PM MST 03/12/24 (Non Emergency Edition GDT)

Do you still miss Kadri?

• Yes!

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • No (Lie)

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • Open locket from around your neck with a picture of Kadri and cry.

Votes: 30 42.3%

• Total voters

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's amazing the difference between having a 2C that can play and the shit RyJo was giving us all season.

It's not even just the offense, I've seen more backchecks that resulted in nice breakups in 2 games from Mitts than I saw all season out of RyJo. Not too mention the hustle and desire to get the puck. Mitts wants the puck and tries to go get it. RyJo was out of breath after 3 strides and never hunted the puck.

Assuming Lehk comes back soon, I'd actually prefer him on line 2 with Mitts and Drouin. Then I'd stack line 1 with 29, 96 and 13. That line is virtually unstoppable.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Great game overall. I think it's time to throw Annunen in the deep end and have him play against better teams. I'd like to see how his play will be and I'm quite confident he'll do well. He's so calm and collective. I think he might surprise a few of us
I agree. He's playing well, and has some confidence. I'd give him that St Louis game at end of the trip, see if he can bring it against a desperate team.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone know if they're going to fly home after the Vancouver game or stay on the road until Saturday?
It would be pointless to fly back to Denver. They'll probably send another night or two in Vancouver (because who honestly wants to fly to Edmonton early?) then head out to Edmonton.

That was a dominant performance. And holy hell, Sean Walker, he's playing just like Byram was supposed to play for us. Crazy good.
It's clear Bednar already has a ton of trust for him, too. Second most TOI for defensemen tonight.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Judging just by highlights but Mikko looked more elusive and crisp with the puck than all season. Flames gave him all the space in those situations though. How was his game overall?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm good with Annunen being the backup goalie. He's earned it I think. I'd like to see a larger sample size of consistent play, like he's doing now, before ever considering Annunen as "starter" .

Otherwise, how, right now, does Annunen as starting goalie with Prosvetov as backup strike you? Just a bit unsettling to me, but can change with consistent play from both these guys. Maybe to start next season?
I like Justus and the last few games, there has been such a calmness about his game. He's just technically in position so much that he doesn't really need to do anything incredible ridiculous, especially with his frame. This is his window though. If he's going to be a starter, I feel this is his one chance to go and take the job away from somebody.

That being said, I don't want to give up on Georgiev either. One year ago today, nobody was questioning our #1. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, the problem this year is between his ears. There is still time for Jusse to work with him and his play has been noticeably better since Ryan Johansen was traded. I'm glad CMac buttressed the AVs but didn't replace Alexandar. He's giving him the chance to right himself and prove that he's the goalie he was for the majority of last season.

So weird having people go apeshit after only 1 game and complaining about foot speed and such.

It's like complaining about a 25 year old Paul Stastny. Not the best skater but absolutely an adequate 2C for years and years and years.

Ah who am I kidding? The same people complaining about Mitts after 1 game are the very same who complained nightly about Stastny when we had him and nicknamed him 'Casper'. :thumbd:

AVS were very good tonight...you can tell that 3 days of practice since our last game helped get the new guys integrated.

My favourite part of tonight's game : was a little play in the neutral zone with about 2 minutes left in the 2nd where Mitts and his linemates were about to go off for a change because they had collectively gotten the puck out of their end along the boards and into the neutral zone towards their blue line but the flames handled it quickly and were starting up the ice towards the AVS end and mitts just did a super fast 180 instead of changing and skated quickly back towards his zone to make sure they didn't get an odd-man break. Color me impressed with that kind of defensive awareness. I think Bednar got a boner on the bench when he saw that...

Hey, I lovingly called Paulie Walnuts Casper on occasion, but he was streaky for a bit with his offense and like Mikko had a way of putting in a really quiet night, then you look at the stat sheet and see he had 2-3 points you don't really remember him setting up. And Stas brought a SOLID two way game. He was always defensively responsible. That's what I'm hoping for with Mitts. I know he's not a goal-scorer, but more of a play-maker. Surround him with a one of Lehky/Nuke for the defensive and one of Rants/Nuke for a goal scorer and we should have two lines rolling offensively.

Personally, I'd trust that JD and MacK will find each other at some critical moment. That chemistry just pops sometimes. And it certainly appears like both the players and Bednar prefer playing MacK and Rants together, so I'd do this...

JD-MacK-Rants
Lehky/Parise-Mitts-Nuke (I would like to see Parise given a shot in the top six with a legit center and a goal scorer on the other wing. Not sure if he still has 2nd line minutes/level of play but I'd like to find out)
Parise/Lehky-Colton-Duhaime (If Lehky was bumped down here by Parise, this line is not going to be fun to play against.)
Cogliano-Trenin-Kivi (This is where's LOC's absence will be felt the most. We've got someone in the lineup that maybe we wish was an injury callup for the playoffs instead in Kivi).

I actually think there might be a chance that Koalenko starts in the playoffs. Before LOC getting shut down, I didn't really see the path, but I think he has the chance to beat out Kivi for a spot and to be honest, Cogs hasn't been that great lately. Although, I expect a switch to be flipped with him, once the playoffs start similar to how Darren Helm did it in 21. Dude looked toast all season long and then... well, somebody obviously preferred boss battles to grinding through the levels.

I have a feeling that when Landy is finally given the green-light there is going to be at least one banged up body that is going to silently appreciate getting a night off to recuperate. There will be pain, especially if we go deep enough that Landy can make it in.

The West is going to be fun as hell to watch. Teams loaded up with everything that wasn't nailed down and in the Avs case, maybe even snuck off with a piece that was. Was Buffalo actively shopping Mitts or was this a case of the Avs being persistent like with Lehky?

[edit...Holy brick wall of text, Batman. Sorry about the longish post.]

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I like Justus and the last few games, there has been such a calmness about his game. He's just technically in position so much that he doesn't really need to do anything incredible ridiculous, especially with his frame. This is his window though. If he's going to be a starter, I feel this is his one chance to go and take the job away from somebody.

That being said, I don't want to give up on Georgiev either. One year ago today, nobody was questioning our #1. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, the problem this year is between his ears. There is still time for Jusse to work with him and his play has been noticeably better since Ryan Johansen was traded. I'm glad CMac buttressed the AVs but didn't replace Alexandar. He's giving him the chance to right himself and prove that he's the goalie he was for the majority of last season.

Hey, I lovingly called Paulie Walnuts Casper on occasion, but he was streaky for a bit with his offense and like Mikko had a way of putting in a really quiet night, then you look at the stat sheet and see he had 2-3 points you don't really remember him setting up. And Stas brought a SOLID two way game. He was always defensively responsible. That's what I'm hoping for with Mitts. I know he's not a goal-scorer, but more of a play-maker. Surround him with a one of Lehky/Nuke for the defensive and one of Rants/Nuke for a goal scorer and we should have two lines rolling offensively.

Personally, I'd trust that JD and MacK will find each other at some critical moment. That chemistry just pops sometimes. And it certainly appears like both the players and Bednar prefer playing MacK and Rants together, so I'd do this...

JD-MacK-Rants
Lehky/Parise-Mitts-Nuke (I would like to see Parise given a shot in the top six with a legit center and a goal scorer on the other wing. Not sure if he still has 2nd line minutes/level of play but I'd like to find out)
Parise/Lehky-Colton-Duhaime (If Lehky was bumped down here by Parise, this line is not going to be fun to play against.)
Cogliano-Trenin-Kivi (This is where's LOC's absence will be felt the most. We've got someone in the lineup that maybe we wish was an injury callup for the playoffs instead in Kivi).

I actually think there might be a chance that Koalenko starts in the playoffs. Before LOC getting shut down, I didn't really see the path, but I think he has the chance to beat out Kivi for a spot and to be honest, Cogs hasn't been that great lately. Although, I expect a switch to be flipped with him, once the playoffs start similar to how Darren Helm did it in 21. Dude looked toast all season long and then... well, somebody obviously preferred boss battles to grinding through the levels.

I have a feeling that when Landy is finally given the green-light there is going to be at least one banged up body that is going to silently appreciate getting a night off to recuperate. There will be pain, especially if we go deep enough that Landy can make it in.

The West is going to be fun as hell to watch. Teams loaded up with everything that wasn't nailed down and in the Avs case, maybe even snuck off with a piece that was. Was Buffalo actively shopping Mitts or was this a case of the Avs being persistent like with Lehky?

[edit...Holy brick wall of text, Batman. Sorry about the longish post.]

You forgot about Miles Wood! The craziest mofo in hockey

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Only guy I didn't like tonight was Drouin, I'm still concerned about him in our top 6 come playoff time.

Ideally Landy takes his place and the wingers for the top 6 are Rants, Nuke, Lehky, Landy.

Third line of Drouin-Colton-Parise was really good together.
Drouin is at his best when anticipating the actions of elite skaters and making cheat code passes to them. Right now, he is paired with another pass-first player, and a guy CMac got for the 4th line; having played literally only minutes with his line-mates; having never played with EITHER linemate until this week.

Furthermore, there is less than zero chance that Landy plays top 6 this year...if at all.

While Bednar is too stubborn to try it full-time, the best top 6 is:

Drouin - Mac - Nuke
Lehky - Mitts - Mikko

Each line has a facilitator, a sniper and a dirty work guy. I am not saying that Drouin is better than Mikko - not even better than Lehky. But this is placing assets where they can be most valuable on a team. Again, Landy is absolutely NOT playing 1LW in the playoffs. Do you understand what his injury is? They are literally regrowing cartilage. His physician says 12 to 18 months. Mid-May is 12. If he slips in the shower and screws up the cartilage, it is another 12 to 18 - meaning his career is functionally over.

Mac looks like he has a good shot at the Ross and Hart this year. His best production was with Drouin on his left. That is not a coincidence.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Judging just by highlights but Mikko looked more elusive and crisp with the puck than all season. Flames gave him all the space in those situations though. How was his game overall?
Pretty decent, more of what we’ve been used to historically vs what has happened at times this year. He was engaged all game long, no stupid lazy penalties and some slick plays. Overall the whole team played well but he was a definite positive tonight.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
This was a great game and effort from the squad. I fell asleep with like 5 minutes to go in the 3rd. Rants and Nuke were the best of the night IMO. Cheeks rebounded very well after the two quick Flames goals. Super happy to see some points out of Walker/Duhaime and that slick goal from MitelJost. I thought Little G and Manson looked really rough out there. Let's get that advanced stats horizontal bar chart thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00