GDT: Avalanche vs Devils 5:30PM MNT 2/6/24 (Emergency GDT) God help us find a 2C

What's worse to be hunted by.

• zombie horde

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • werewolf

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Vampire

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
What a horseshit broadcast by these espn amateurs. These f***in' nametags... who's moronic idea was that?? It's either you LOVE hockey and you don't need the nametags or you don't know what the f*** is going on and in that case, the nametags don't matter.

Why don't these f***tards just frikkin' watch Hockey Night in Canada during the frikkin' playoffs for indications of how it's f***ing done??

And Pukiegross, oh who were YOU rooting for? You unprofessional untalented shithead...

Trevor Olofsson ? Seriously ?

Reactions: niwotsblessing

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
To be fair to MacFarland, he has been missing an entire second line for the majority of the year. Nuke has sleep problems because of vodka, Lehkonen just came back, and RyJo is thinking of his beach house in Kelowna. On top of that, Landeskog's injury pretty much killed this team's depth as well and it wasn't something you could foresee in the past.

I am not saying we would be entirely healthy, but I suggest RyJo would look a lot more manageable/better in a lineup of...

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nuke
Lekhonen - RyJo - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - Parise
Cogliano -Olofsson - Kiviranta

That's a pretty damn good lineup, even though RyJo would probably kill that line and would need to be replaced regardless. Again, my main premise is that the lack of scoring would be much better and RyJo would look better if we weren't dealing with some weirdness this season compared to other teams (like Oilers who've been healthy for most if not all of the season).
Please replace Kiviranta with LOC.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
That 4th goal was on Mack. He was in position to tie up his guy with his stick and he just chose to bump him instead.
Agree but also on Bednar.

I don't know what to say anymore - the guy's a good coach but why the f*** does he keep having Rantanen on the ice with 2:00 left to play when we are on the back half of a back-to-back trying to get to OT to salvage a point ??? He can't seem to wrap his head around getting a bunch of guys out there that are going to skate their asses off and won't cost you the game?? If there's ONE FRIKKING GUY that can't be out there in that situation, it's f***ing #96.

He just doesn't seem to learn. It's not about skill or capability it's about EFFORT and seeing Mikko's lazy-ass stretching out his stick because skating would be too hard to try and NOT get scored on. MacKinnon was awful on that shift but so was Rantanen and I probably wouldn't of had either out there.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s asked for a trade already.
I wouldn't be shocked to find this out either. He hates it here, not hard to see that, and he is pouting his way out. He gets worse game by game. It's very disappointing watching his effort these days, such a waste.

Unfortunately for him the Avs are extremely slow on granting a trade request and almost always wait too long.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I don't know what to say anymore - the guy's a good coach but why the f*** does he keep having Rantanen on the ice with 2:00 left to play when we are on the back half of a back-to-back trying to get to OT to salvage a point ??? He can't seem to wrap his head around getting a bunch of guys out there that are going to skate their asses off and won't cost you the game?? If there's ONE FRIKKING GUY that can't be out there in that situation, it's f***ing #96.

He just doesn't seem to learn. It's not about skill or capability it's about EFFORT and seeing Mikko's lazy-ass stretching out his stick because skating would be too hard to try and NOT get scored on. MacKinnon was awful on that shift but so was Rantanen and I probably wouldn't of had either out there.
Rants was more at fault than 29 for the last goal. Rants couldn't make up his mind on who to take so what the f*** is 29 supposed to do.

I do agree that 96 is a complete liability or there and it's not just end of game situations. His defensive awareness/effort this year is absolute garbage. There is a reason why the 1st line has had more their fair share of defensive gaffs and it can usually be traced to 96. I never would have thought I'd trust Drouin to be out there defensively more than 96. But here we are.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Blaming the goalie for Avs loss is the default here
I mean a NHL goalie probably makes that stop on a bad offensive player with 2 mins left. It wasn't a top shelf piss missile or anything. I mean hell Vitek made a save on 29, seconds earlier that was much harder and much more threatening.

Facts are facts, our goalies this year, have rarely made timely big saves.

We didn't lose because of Annunen, but he absolutely blew it at the end when we needed a save.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Getting a 2C is no longer something the GM can ignore. We are nearing 2 full seasons without one. With Mackinnon having the season hes having this isnt something that can be brushed aside any longer. Mackinnon aint getting any younger. Get him the best possible roster today and dont worry about 5 yrs from now because likely you wont be the GM anyways Chris.
I honestly believe at this point that CMac doesn't even view 2C as a problem. You can't tell me that for over 2 full seasons he hasn't had 1 chance to get a real 2C, I call BS. He's either too scared to trade the necessary assets, which if this is the case he shouldn't be GM, or doesn't view 2C as a problem.

It's very frustrating watching Vancouver go out and get Lindholm to address a perceived need the first year that think they might have a chance.

It's even more frustrating seeing him step in and score twice his first game with them. He now has more goals in 1 game with Vancouver than RyJo, CMac's pathetic attempt at fixing 2C, has in his last 20 games.

Not saying Lindholm was the guy for us, just showing that it is possible to make trades that improve the team. Something that CMac doesn't seem to remotely understand.

Reactions: The Moops

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Byram is playing like a waste of 4 overall pick. He have nothing to show for. Also this might be the worst NHL game for Malinski.
In Malinski's defense it's extremely hard to go back and forth between the AHL and NHL play this game, sit the next one etc. They either need to play him full time NHL or they need to leave him in Loveland unless there is an injury.

It's almost impossible to gain traction or show consistency when your are getting yanked around guessing where you'll be next.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So why would be after Lindholm then?
Did we get Lindholm? No. And there is almost no proof that CMac even tried other than blowhard national pundits who have no ties to the Avs making guesses. Until CMac actually makes something happen with 2C, I won't believe he thinks it's a problem.

Reactions: The Moops

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Did we get Lindholm? No. And there is almost no proof that CMac even tried other than blowhard national pundits who have no ties to the Avs making guesses. Until CMac actually makes something happen with 2C, I won't believe he thinks it's a problem.
Lol. Sure, you believe what you want to believe then.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I mean a NHL goalie probably makes that stop on a bad offensive player with 2 mins left. It wasn't a top shelf piss missile or anything. I mean hell Vitek made a save on 29, seconds earlier that was much harder and much more threatening.

Facts are facts, our goalies this year, have rarely made timely big saves.

We didn't lose because of Annunen, but he absolutely blew it at the end when we needed a save.
I mean I don’t necessarily disagree, but we shouldn’t be surprised because Annunen is not an NHL goalie so I can’t blame him

Reactions: katfude

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol. Sure, you believe what you want to believe then.
What proof do you have that CMac is in there every day trying to fix the 2C problem?

All there is, is the occasional random guess by national pundits. No concrete facts.

It's been over 2 years with no resolution, so clearly CMac doesn't view this as a top priority or even a need. If CMac viewed 2C as a priority need it would have been resolved a long time ago. He clearly doesn't view it as a problem.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What proof do you have that CMac is in there every day trying to fix the 2C problem?

All there is, is the occasional random guess by national pundits. No concrete facts.

It's been over 2 years with no resolution, so clearly CMac doesn't view this as a top priority or even a need. If CMac viewed 2C as a priority need it would have been resolved a long time ago. He clearly doesn't view it as a problem.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I do believe that when a guy like LeBrun, who has been historically connected to our team and especially CMac, says that the Avs are after a #2C, then we are after a #2C. There are plenty of teams around the league looking for different pieces, and not a lot has happened. Does this mean that none of those other GMs don't care either? Look at the situation with the goalies for crying out loud, like 5 teams are looking and no trades happen.

We'll see where we are at the deadline. I do agree, that if nothing is done then it's basically fire CMac time. He has to get this done. I don't really even care how much it costs at this point. If it's f***ing Byram and a 1st (and RyJo dump) for Henrique, then do it. Without improving that spot, we are f***ed so doesn't really matter f*** all what the roster looks like until then.

I just don't believe for a second that they are not trying, and your arguments of "it hasn't happened so there it is" and "who believes in media anyways" are not really convincing in that regard.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
In Malinski's defense it's extremely hard to go back and forth between the AHL and NHL play this game, sit the next one etc. They either need to play him full time NHL or they need to leave him in Loveland unless there is an injury.

It's almost impossible to gain traction or show consistency when your are getting yanked around guessing where you'll be next.
AND, Malinski is paired with JMFJ, whose expiration date is getting closer, or Bo "I forgot how to hockey" Byram. When Big Sam had the chance to settle in before the break he was playing solid 3RD hockey, and there is no reason to think he won't be there again soon. I'd even argue there were times he was carrying JMFJ a bit, while also getting real time coaching from him.

If we are going to dissect the defense, Malinski is low down on the totem pole of who needs to step up their game.

Mikko's skating on Makar's untimely pinch and lost puck was something to behold. Moose was giving little effort, and his lack of stamina brings to mind Ismo's criticism.

We have many players more rested, and with a metric ton more GAF, sitting on the bench watching Rants screw up.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I understand not getting Lindholm because of the price and he’s a rental, but CMac does need to do something. This team doesn’t really need a high end 2C, but they do need someone solid there, and I think back up goalie might be the most important thing this team needs because if something happens to Georgiev, they can just forfeit the playoffs because no way in hell they will win a single round with Annunen back there

Reactions: xAvsx89

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I’m just as frustrated with the 2C spit as everyone else but this is a ridiculous line. Just because he hasn’t added one doesn’t mean isn’t trying.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Folks acting like they are sure Sakic/CMac haven't even tried to solve one of the 2 hardest positions to acquire top end talent in. It's not like the Avs are the only competitive team that can't seem to fill their glaring weaknesses over multiple seasons.
Avs' successes as a franchise has spoiled us all.
I can't speak for everyone but for me it's like this :

Drouin-Mack-Rantanen
Leks- -Nuke
Wood-Colton-LOC
Cogliano-Olofsson-Parise

Toews, LD 4.1m - Makar, RD 9m
Girard, LD 5m - Manson, RD 4.5m
Byram, LD3.85m - JMFJ, LD/RD .775k

Georgiev, G
Annunen, G

*(Red = need an upgrade)

We've had an OBVIOUS surplus at LD for quite a while now and sure you drafted Byram #4 overall so you don't want to just give him away but at the same time -> pick a f***ing guy to keep (either G or Bo) and trade the other one in a package for that giant gaping hole at #2C already.

Whether it's Jenner, Nelson or someone else of at least that quality - he's going to have to get it done... even if it's an overpayment. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until the TDL but if it's Henrique or some other mediocre piece that clearly doesn't give the Avs the best chance to win again this season all so he can keep this year and future years late round draft choices, then I will go apeshit on CMac and call for him to be fired every single day until it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad