Avalanche top line has combined for 38 points in 8 games.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I still remember the comment from x that it would be the biggest mistake to draft Rantanen in the top15, just doesn't have the offense.

Pretty much. Gotta love Eastern bias saying the Bruins line was always better. Anybody who actually watched the two teams knew it was the MacK line. Last night proved it.

Nobody should use 1 game sample size to anything.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I thought the Avs top line were better than the Bruins top line last night but I don’t think they dominated them by any means. Certainly more even than people here are making it sound.

What tells the story best though is the fact that Cassidy started the game confidently allowing those matchups to happen but by the third period he split up his top line and did everything he could to change those matchups and keep them away from the Gabe line.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I thought the Avs top line were better than the Bruins top line last night but I don’t think they dominated them by any means.

What tells the story best though is the fact that Cassidy started the game confidently allowing those matchups to happen but by the third period he split up his top line and did everything he could to change those matchups and keep them away from the Gabe line.

The Avs top line was better.... but that is not what happened. Boston split up the #1 line for one shift.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Pretty much. Gotta love Eastern bias saying the Bruins line was always better. Anybody who actually watched the two teams knew it was the MacK line. Last night proved it.

The only argument is because the Bruins 1st line has been the best over the past 2 years.
More importantly they have been the best Defensive top line while still contributing great offensive numbers for 3+ years.
Consistency is key here.

With that being said I'm really impressed with the Avs 1st line. It's nice to see a bigger, skilled and more physical line succeed(rare now-a-days, almost like the mythical unicorn) it's definitely a breath of fresh air :).
I could definitely see them becoming the best offensive first line in the league over the next 3-5 years(starting this year).

Reactions: tucker3434

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The only argument is because the Bruins 1st line has been the best over the past 2 years.
More importantly they have been the best Defensive top line while still contributing great offensive numbers for 3+ years.
Consistency is key here.

With that being said I'm really impressed with the Avs 1st line. It's nice to see a bigger, skilled and more physical line succeed(rare now-a-days, almost like the mythical unicorn) it's definitely a breath of fresh air :).
I could definitely see them becoming the best offensive first line in the league over the next 3-5 years(starting this year).

You do realize they played together last season as well? MacK and Rantanen put up crazy points totals last season.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
You do realize they played together last season as well? MacK and Rantanen put up crazy points totals last season.

Yes i do and so did the Bruins line, Bergeron(.98PPG) and Pastrnak (.97PPG) where nearly 1 PPG while Marchand was way over PPG (1.25PPG).
But again what makes the Bruins line impressive is not the offensive numbers IMO but their combined offensive/defensive ability.
They are the "Selke line" if there ever was such an award.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Consistency is key here.

I don’t think consistency is the right word. The Avs top line has been mighty consistent for the 100 games they’ve been together. But it is fair to tip the scales in the Bruins favor due to the defensive side of things. There’s no doubt they have the best two way line in hockey. MacKinnon and Rantanen will have to stay near the top of the art ross race and Landeskog will need to be 70+ to overcome the defensive gap.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The Bruins having three elite forwards (and defensive play) is all that keeps them ahead of Mackinnon and Rantanen. I don't think Landeskog is in the same tier as the other five players.

I've always been a fan of Mackinnon for his blazing speed but that Rantanen was very, very impressive last night. Colorado building around them is a good thing.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't think Landeskog is in the same tier as the other five players.

Landy might be the worst of the 2 lines, but he isn't a tier below. He's scoring at the same pace as Marchand and every bit the equal defensively. He's tied for third in goalscoring.

Give the guy credit, he's in his prime and every bit at their level.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I still think the Bruins’ 1st line is the best in the league. Bergeron does everything!

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Both teams are asking the question - can a team win with 1 great line and nothing great behind them? Dallas is up there too, I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 lines scored 50%+ of their teams points.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
That tactic seems to be 1 injury away from disaster.

True, but I remember Boston having injuries last year and they still came top 5 in the league.

I've always thought depth was the better strat but these two just keep winning games.

Big difference in the way they operate compared to Tampa, Nashville, Toronto or Winnipeg, who don't have the top scorers but have lots of talent depth in their lineups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad