Pre-Game Talk: Avalanche @ Senators (Thurs 7:30pm - Home Opener!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
omg why u scratch this guy and not that guy! i have no idea what's going on! :scared:

panic!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I wonder if other fan bases make this big of a fuss about who will play in their bottom 6.

Ideally I'd like Lazar and Condra in, but whatcha gonna do. Sometimes there are reasons we don't get to hear about for coaching decisions. I'm trying to give Mac the benefit of the doubt, as I've been quick to jump on him in the past.

Considering our lack of scoring, I wouldn't mind Hoffman back in, but it's not like he's been a scoring machine in the NHL.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I'd even prefer trying Cowen on that LW as an alternative to Greening. Because why not?...maybe Jared goes all Brent Burns or Big Buff on us.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
There's obviously something more to the decision making then "let's play the best guys"

They don't want greenings contract on the bench, you can't trade him from the press box.

As much sense as that makes, it's also just a best guess. Another possibility. Match-ups versus any given opponent could be another consideration. Perhaps a bigger body against the Avs bottom six makes more sense than relying on Hoffman's speed? Weir playing further reduces Hoff's potential role as well.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
As much sense as that makes, it's also just a best guess. Another possibility. Match-ups versus any given opponent could be another consideration. Perhaps a bigger body against the Avs bottom six makes more sense than relying on Hoffman's speed? Weir playing further reduces Hoff's potential role as well.

Fair enough. The point is there's more at play then who's the best player. Context always important.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's not a crazy idea. Lots of big defenseman that haven't been able to stay in the lineup have been fairly successful on the wing.

Schubert was most successful on the wing.
Carkner made it to the nhl on the wing.

Hell, even Phillips played wing.

I'm not saying I support the idea, but [...]

Last edited by a moderator:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's not a crazy idea. Lots of big defenseman that haven't been able to stay in the lineup have been fairly successful on the wing.

Schubert was most successful on the wing.
Carkner made it to the nhl on the wing.

Hell, even Phillips played wing.

I'm not saying I support the idea, but [...]

Cowen isn't a speedster. Granted, his mobility is much improved. However, if you're not a fast guy, you have to have high hockey IQ, which is something a guy like, for argument's sake, Stone has (Heatley being the champion of slow but in the right spot) but IMO Cowen does not have high hockey IQ, nor is he a finisher. Cowen's role on the team right now is to be in the right spots defensively. That's it. And he can't even do that properly seeing as he's in the press box right now. There are other reasons why he wouldn't be a good forward (he also isn't playing nearly physical enough to make up for other deficiencies, it's not like he has good hands or great vision...) but that's the biggest one IMO.

Even Condra, a guy with no offensive talents, gets by because of his strong hockey sense.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
the difference between Greening, Hoffman Condra and Lazar is pretty insignificant imo....they won't be the difference between losing and winning thats up to the top 4 d and the top 6-9 forwards

it would be nice to see Greening moved so we can get some new blood in but we will see

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don't mind Greening playing over Hoff. But Condra shouldn't be scratched. Play him over Neil.

Greening - Legwand - Condra
Michalek - Smith - Lazar or Smith - Lazar - Michalek

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Cowen isn't a speedster. Granted, his mobility is much improved. However, if you're not a fast guy, you have to have high hockey IQ, which is something a guy like, for argument's sake, Stone has (Heatley being the champion of slow but in the right spot) but IMO Cowen does not have high hockey IQ, nor is he a finisher. Cowen's role on the team right now is to be in the right spots defensively. That's it. And he can't even do that properly seeing as he's in the press box right now. There are other reasons why he wouldn't be a good forward (he also isn't playing nearly physical enough to make up for other deficiencies, it's not like he has good hands or great vision...) but that's the biggest one IMO.

Even Condra, a guy with no offensive talents, gets by because of his strong hockey sense.

All the guys I named fall under your category of cowen. Big, slow, no skill.

Basically if he's too dumb to play d, isn't I simpler for him to just forecheck and hit? Much easier for a dumb player to play 4th line then d.

Once again, I'm just playing devils advocate. I'd rather try to develop him as a d, but if that doesn't work there's always the option of wing.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Anybody been yet this year to CTC, if so what do you think of the new lighting system? I was at the Habs preseason game and it completely transformed the arena.

It is almost uncomfortably bright, took a while to get used to it, it almost looks like a real live version of NHL 15. Also, you can hardly see people in the stands so it has a look of a theater.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Anybody been yet this year to CTC, if so what do you think of the new lighting system? I was at the Habs preseason game and it completely transformed the arena.

It is almost uncomfortably bright, took a while to get used to it, it almost looks like a real live version of NHL 15. Also, you can hardly see people in the stands so it has a look of a theater.

I'm curious to hear about this too.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The New Lighting is REALLY REALLY nice, they can even use them to make a light show, some might complain that it makes it look a little to bright on the ice.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There's obviously something more to the decision making then "let's play the best guys"

They don't want greenings contract on the bench, you can't trade him from the press box.

If he plays well enough for teams to want to trade for him, then we would probably want to keep him.

If he doesn't do well enough for teams to want to trade for him, then he shouldn't play.

But how much longer does he get? He's already at 1 useless season. And now at 2.6 million, do you let that drag out to 1.25 seasons? 1.5 seasons? 2 seasons? 3 seasons? Do we send him down? Buy him out?

I know people will say its only 1 bad year so far, but its looking like its gonna be 2. There's also a big difference between a top 6 forward having a bad year and a 4th liner having a bad year-or two. Most 4th liners who have a bad year find themselves replaced and are out of the league. The 4th liners are the guys who need to bring it every night because they're the most easily replaced by someone else for cheaper.

How much rope does greening have?

Frodo

Nov 8, 2008
I'm excited to see Greening play. He was sixth on the team in scoring during the lockout year and we have a similar attitude/mental makeup this year.

Go Greening! Prove the nay sayers wrong so that I may lord it over them when we win on Thursday!

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Even if these coaching decisions are a little baffling I'm at least thankful that they only impact the bottom six

I don't want greening in the line up but from a long term perspective it's not the worst idea to give him a shot to get on track

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Saw a bit of the lighting ability during fan fest. It was really neat.

As for Greening, it is easy to trade a player when you show him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad