OT: Autographs/Hockey Cards Thread

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
You're going to be disappointed I'm the photos I apologize, also gotta wait for the good ones ALSO..ALSO.

When I typed in my rookie redemption from the first box, they said TBD, and NOW one of then is Ilya SOROKIN so that's cool boys.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I get them good good rookies my dudes lol. Can't Can't I pulled Stutzle and Kaprizov.
Awesome box.

Reactions: TheGreatOne11

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Just an update from my last post here.

I was under the understanding that numbered cards weren't hits it was just memorabilia or autographs?

Anyways.

I have a story to tell lol.

So. I was annoyed I didn't get a hit, and the very dumb logic in my brain was "well maybe it's every other box" so I went back, didn't take the next one in line and I grabbed the one behind it.

(someone grabbed the one behind mine after I left, so you understand the logic lol)

Now I didn't get anything insane, but, boy oh BOY am I happy I followed my dumb logic lmao.

I received

1. Game worn Thomas Chabot jersey card.
2. Tyler Seguin dual patch jersey card /35
3. Phil Kessel threads of time card
4. Washington capitals Connor McMichael rookie card.
5. TIM F'ING Stutzle rookie card out of 750
6. Karill Kaprizov gold jersey rookie out of 399.
7. Dual patch Liam Foudy rookie card out of 599.

Found myself in this thread since Strawberry has a lot of knowledge and one of his buddies sent me here from the main board. So I read a lot of your posts my dude thanks for all the knowledge.

Even as a Leafs fan I shall be checking your posts from time to time to see if I can learn anything else from you, thanks for all the help even if we've never actually communicated lol.

@Strawberry Fields

Side note. Would you recommend going for more artifacts boxes or go for the hope of high end young guns collection cards from series 1 on my next purchase my dude?

All the best.
Hard to say because of the Artifacts qc issues this year. I got a six hit box the first time around; the fact that my local shop had it for $115 (USD) made the decision to try it out easier as well. I don't know the conversion rate between USD/CAD off the top of my head but I personally wouldn't go for it if it was $200 +. But on the other hand I haven't had the greatest of luck with S1 this year either, after three hobby boxes and one tin, I haven't landed anything better YG-wise than Byram and Norris. I don't *love* the YG class for Series 1 this year, but the hitless boxes of Artifacts make me a little wary of buying more of it. Series 1 is probably the *safer* bet (depending on how much it costs locally), but I'd say it comes down to whether you're looking for hits potential or rookies. Sorry if it's kind of a non-answer but neither product has particularly won me over yet this year, haha.

If you're open to buying 19-20, a product that still hasn't failed me yet is Allure. I've opened 10 boxes and bought an 11th yesterday. It's gone up a little in price but nowhere near as badly as many other products has ($105 USD vs the ~$75-$85 it used to cost). If you haven't tried it yet and you can find it for a not-outrageous price I'd give it a go.

Reactions: TheGreatOne11

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
While we're on the Artifacts kick here are my results this year. First is the six hit box, second is a couple loose packs I bought at my shop yesterday. The two rookie redemptions are Nolan Foote and Victor Soderstrom.
IMG_20210219_193730_361.jpg

20210224_172918.jpg

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Hard to say because of the Artifacts qc issues this year. I got a six hit box the first time around; the fact that my local shop had it for $115 (USD) made the decision to try it out easier as well. I don't know the conversion rate between USD/CAD off the top of my head but I personally wouldn't go for it if it was $200 +. But on the other hand I haven't had the greatest of luck with S1 this year either, after three hobby boxes and one tin, I haven't landed anything better YG-wise than Byram and Norris. I don't *love* the YG class for Series 1 this year, but the hitless boxes of Artifacts make me a little wary of buying more of it. Series 1 is probably the *safer* bet (depending on how much it costs locally), but I'd say it comes down to whether you're looking for hits potential or rookies. Sorry if it's kind of a non-answer but neither product has particularly won me over yet this year, haha.

If you're open to buying 19-20, a product that still hasn't failed me yet is Allure. I've opened 10 boxes and bought an 11th yesterday. It's gone up a little in price but nowhere near as badly as many other products has ($105 USD vs the ~$75-$85 it used to cost). If you haven't tried it yet and you can find it for a not-outrageous price I'd give it a go.

Thanks for the reply my dude, my local hobby shop seems a little sketchy, just because 20 minutes away series 1 and artifacts hobby boxes are selling for 205 all in, but he's selling both for 230.

Seems like a good dude but the pricing is a little worrisome.

Can't complain after that last box I got but still.

Does allure keeps its value as well as series 1 and artifacts? I shall check it out the next time I'm at the shop, quick look online seems it sells for half of what series 1 and artifacts take are selling for.

Last question, I know 200 cdn is an insane amount to spend, but if I was to get another box in the next month, would you recommend another artifact or series 1, considering they are the same price?

All the best my dude and DAMN nice 6 pull on the artifacts box you got I just checked it out.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I will 100% be grabbing a box, hopefully to at the pre-order price instead of the marked up price after. Which is what my local hobby shop explained is why he had to charge so much he had to "buy back" or something.

I get that it's possible but I mean stores 30 minutes away were selling for 25 cheaper, but I'm a sucker for supporting local business lol.

Can't complain after my last box.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Thanks for the reply my dude, my local hobby shop seems a little sketchy, just because 20 minutes away series 1 and artifacts hobby boxes are selling for 205 all in, but he's selling both for 230.

Seems like a good dude but the pricing is a little worrisome.

Can't complain after that last box I got but still.

Does allure keeps its value as well as series 1 and artifacts? I shall check it out the next time I'm at the shop, quick look online seems it sells for half of what series 1 and artifacts take are selling for.

Last question, I know 200 cdn is an insane amount to spend, but if I was to get another box in the next month, would you recommend another artifact or series 1, considering they are the same price?

All the best my dude and DAMN nice 6 pull on the artifacts box you got I just checked it out.
Allure unfortunately doesn't have the best resale value but I'm a little biased based on some of the autos I've pulled- Makar, J Hughes, McDavid, a couple /10 (Pitlick and Grundstrom), Zadina /59, Mikheyev /35, etc. I'm a sucker for refractors too and the parallels look great. Again, I wouldn't spend too much on it but if you can get it for a reasonable price I'd definitely try it.

And agree with your last post to definitely go the retail route if you get more Series 1! I think it's definitely more worth it.

(For the record the standard going rate for Artifacts in the States tends to be around $140-150 USD. Or at least it was the last time I checked, lol, the prices go up all the time anymore. The price my shop has it for is definitely lower than normal.)

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
2007-08 Upper Deck Be a Player

This is the first of five birthday boxes (I don't know what the other four are, I only had this one given to me today because I needed something to upload for tomorrow, lol). This was an Upper Deck product released every year from 05/06 through 09/10; it was an autograph per pack product that also promised one dual auto card and one rookie card per box. I think I made out well with the Price auto (technically kinda-sorta a rookie auto, I think?) and the player's club Gagner rookie parallel #'d to 10. It'd never happen because it's been defunct for over a decade now but I'd love to see UD bring it back to their product lineup.
20210306_184242.jpg
20210306_184252.jpg
20210306_184320.jpg
20210306_184331.jpg

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
2010-11 Panini Certified

Certified was one of my favorite products when Panini had an NHL license and for the first time, I got a hot box. That means that every single card is a numbered parallel and there's no regular base cards. Roloson is numbered to 5 and Giguere is numbered to 25.

20210308_172856.jpg

20210308_172915.jpg

20210308_173001.jpg

20210308_173022.jpg

Big stack of #'d parallels in lieu of base cards.
20210308_173114.jpg

20210308_173133.jpg

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Very solid pulls. Pretty cool products, enjoy seeing some of the more obscure stuff for sure. I should pick up a box of something like that.

Is that a real patch on the Giguere? Or manufactured?

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Very solid pulls. Pretty cool products, enjoy seeing some of the more obscure stuff for sure. I should pick up a box of something like that.

Is that a real patch on the Giguere? Or manufactured?
Giguere is real, the jersey piece is the blue swatch in the 35 die cut.

Certified has gotten incredibly expensive, like $200 a box expensive. It was about half that two months ago (which is when this was probably bought as that's when I compiled a birthday list). I would definitely still go for a box of Portraits, and any cheap Panini product you can find, I always liked their hockey stuff a lot more than Upper Deck, haha.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Here's an alternative to the Boom Box that some of my buds have bought. It may look underwhelming based on the image but I've routinely seen stuff like Panini Prizm, 11-12 SP Authentic, O Pee Chee Platinum, older Series 2, etc. included in these boxes. It's all hobby packs as well. Only thing keeping me from trying it myself is it's a subscription service and there's no one-time option, and I don't really like to commit to that kind of thing even if you can cancel whenever.

Modern Hockey Box

There's a 5 pack version for $25, 10 packs for $50, and 15 packs for $65. Considering the Boom Box is 6-ish packs for $60 + s/h and tax it looks like a good deal to me. There's also a "vintage" version as well (pre-2000 packs including some junk wax).

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Giguere is real, the jersey piece is the blue swatch in the 35 die cut.

Certified has gotten incredibly expensive, like $200 a box expensive. It was about half that two months ago (which is when this was probably bought as that's when I compiled a birthday list). I would definitely still go for a box of Portraits, and any cheap Panini product you can find, I always liked their hockey stuff a lot more than Upper Deck, haha.
I'll keep my eye out, definitely want to grab something.

I'm done opening UD until SP Authentic is out. Have never opened SPA and am a big fan of the FWAs. Will be buying a few boxes of that.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Here's an alternative to the Boom Box that some of my buds have bought. It may look underwhelming based on the image but I've routinely seen stuff like Panini Prizm, 11-12 SP Authentic, O Pee Chee Platinum, older Series 2, etc. included in these boxes. It's all hobby packs as well. Only thing keeping me from trying it myself is it's a subscription service and there's no one-time option, and I don't really like to commit to that kind of thing even if you can cancel whenever.

Modern Hockey Box

There's a 5 pack version for $25, 10 packs for $50, and 15 packs for $65. Considering the Boom Box is 6-ish packs for $60 + s/h and tax it looks like a good deal to me. There's also a "vintage" version as well (pre-2000 packs including some junk wax).
Does that even mention what exactly you get for your money per tier?

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Does that even mention what exactly you get for your money per tier?
The site is pretty vague about it honestly. I'm not sure if getting the cheaper one would result in getting lesser packs or not. All I really have to go off of is YouTube videos (if you search Collectible Card Club hockey you'll find a few results but most of them are from last year) and what the people I know have gotten. For reference here's what my one friend got in his box from last month:
20210308_202845.jpg
20210308_202856.jpg
20210308_202907.jpg
20210308_202917.jpg
20210308_202927.jpg

Obviously there's some junkier stuff in there like MVP and Victory but also some stuff like Prizm (which is hard to find), Trilogy, Authentic. Like any random pack lot I'd assume it's a crapshoot.

I was more than willing to be a Guinea pig for this until I saw there was no one-time option. I was mostly just looking for some sort of alternative given the meteoric rise of box prices and the fact that my Boomboxes have mostly been busts (plus I haven't been impressed with the pack selection recently).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Here's the rest of the goods from my man in CA. He offered to include the Hagg jersey and he's been too kind to me for me to say no to him, lol.

View attachment 394233
If you're a Nolan Patrick collector shoot me a PM. I have a bunch of his stuff I am thinking of moving (including the Trilogy card there in the Level 3 version /25 graded PSA 10).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad