Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
Matthews, Marner , Nylander are all young and set for life, their kids will be set for life, their kids.. I can see the work ethic no longer being there. having so much money and being so young is a bad combination IMO, maybe once they mature.

Anyways Firing Babcock wont do much, might put a jolt in their step for a few games but does not resolve the fact this team is flawed and unless they plan on getting rid of one of these over priced forwards they will not be fixing it anytime soon.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Its certainly lot easier to change a coach than it is to remark a roster half way through the season.

I still think theres a.bit of time.to right then ship without even going that far (id like to see how.the team looks with Andersen actually playing consistently well), but if this team hasnt corrected itself by mid decemeber you definitely have to presume some sort of change is going to happen.

Roster reconstruction would be an off-season plan at the earliest, if you've changed the coach the new guy needs some time to see what he can get out of the team before you start getting the knife out

I'd give Babcock until Christmas, that's plenty of time for him to sort this team out and if he can't he's not the right guy for the job

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At this point if there’s no improvement you could see Babcock getting the boot in the mid season, after Christmas during a January tailspin.

The roster reset will start in earnest at the trade deadline and I think a core player (Nylander or a Marner) could go in a blockbuster in the summer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Had nothing to do with that and everything to do with Eichel continuing to grow as a player.

I have asked many times, when will Matthews' inability to grow as a player ever be Matthews' fault?

Matthews strength of character will be put to the test how he responds to the early struggles. He’s had a pretty smooth upward trajectory minus injuries the whole time he’s been in the NHL. Comparatively, guys like Eichel and Mackinnon have had setbacks and moments where they had to really bear down to get to the next level.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm really wondering where the hell that energy went from those 2 seasons.

By most metrics they were one of the most dominant lines at even strength those 2 years. What the hell happened!?! They've yet to replicate even close to that same play since. If it really is Hyman that's the missing ingredient (I doubt it), then put him back with those boys when he's healthy and get that line back to dominating ES.
You once said that you would bet every cent you had that AM and WN would see a new level of production once they lost Hyman. You crapped on Babs for playing him in the top 6.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Matthews strength of character will be put to the test how he responds to the early struggles. He’s had a pretty smooth upward trajectory minus injuries the whole time he’s been in the NHL. Comparatively, guys like Eichel and Mackinnon have had setbacks and moments where they had to really bear down to get to the next level.
That's fair.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
What worries me is he appears to be afraid of contact.. Likely afraid to get hurt. But you can't play that way.. you're more likely to be hurt that way.

I don't know what the answer is but this guy is a flat out goal scoring machine when he feels like it. I want him to realize his own power and f***ing snipe that puck, baby.

Reactions: rumman

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What worries me is he appears to be afraid of contact.. Likely afraid to get hurt. But you can't play that way.. you're more likely to be hurt that way.

I don't know what the answer is but this guy is a flat out goal scoring machine when he feels like it. I want him to realize his own power and ****ing snipe that puck, baby.
He is afraid.

Matthews loves to let his line mates battle around the net as he circles waiting for the puck to pop free. Not only is that not fair to his line mates - they do ALL the work, it does nothing to make them better.

Then Matthews apologists say, "His ability to find empty space is amazing". LOL. He's being a coward while letting his line mates get all the bumps and bruises.

Reactions: Ports

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Roster reconstruction would be an off-season plan at the earliest, if you've changed the coach the new guy needs some time to see what he can get out of the team before you start getting the knife out

I'd give Babcock until Christmas, that's plenty of time for him to sort this team out and if he can't he's not the right guy for the job
I'm thinking US Thanksgiving at the latest. That will let everyone know what the real problem is/was, we find out if Keefe can do better, and puts Dubas on the clock sooner.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He is afraid.

Matthews loves to let his line mates battle around the net as he circles waiting for the puck to pop free. Not only is that not fair to his line mates - they do ALL the work, it does nothing to make them better.

Then Matthews apologists say, "His ability to find empty space is amazing". LOL. He's being a coward while letting his line mates get all the bumps and bruises.

You dont think its logical to have the best shooter.on the team (and one of the best in the league) to focus primarily on.... shooting?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Matthews, Marner , Nylander are all young and set for life, their kids will be set for life, their kids.. I can see the work ethic no longer being there. having so much money and being so young is a bad combination IMO, maybe once they mature.

Anyways Firing Babcock wont do much, might put a jolt in their step for a few games but does not resolve the fact this team is flawed and unless they plan on getting rid of one of these over priced forwards they will not be fixing it anytime soon.
All true, but Crosby and O.V. were rich early and they remained driven.

Sadly, for some reason I can't put my finger on, we have 3 spoiled players at the top - Nylander, Matthews and Marner.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Had nothing to do with that and everything to do with Eichel continuing to grow as a player.

I have asked many times, when will Matthews' inability to grow as a player ever be Matthews' fault?
don't hold your breathe, Leaf Nation can generate excuses at a alarming rate when they want to.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
does anyone know what happened with his court case?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You dont think its logical to have the best shooter.on the team (and one of the best in the league) to focus primarily on.... shooting?
Of course, but he has to be more than that. If all you're going to do is float around waiting for a puck to pop out, how are you helping your team mates?

Matthews can get 50 goals but if his line mates get nothing because he's not helping out, we're not going to get to the Stanley Cup. In fact, we might not even make the playoffs.

Reactions: Cobra777

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm thinking US Thanksgiving at the latest. That will let everyone know what the real problem is/was, we find out if Keefe can do better, and puts Dubas on the clock sooner.

I think you need to get a full roster back and give Babcock at least 6 weeks with it before you pull the trigger on firing him, so Christmas then coaching change then you wait until the end of the season

Then you start making some tough decisions

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think you need to get a full roster back and give Babcock at least 6 weeks with it before you pull the trigger on firing him, so Christmas the coaching change then you wait until the end of the season

Then you start making some tough decisions
not many people get axed at Christmas, I'm thinking 3 week till US Thanksgiving is more than enough time, especially if the kids are mailing it in for a coaching change.

Reactions: ORRFForever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad