Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
For most of the seaosn theyve been the best even strength line on the team.... and were also one of the best tandems in that 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons too.....

I mean i get havibg issues with each of them for different things, but you cant deny their chemistry.

I'm really wondering where the hell that energy went from those 2 seasons.

By most metrics they were one of the most dominant lines at even strength those 2 years. What the hell happened!?! They've yet to replicate even close to that same play since. If it really is Hyman that's the missing ingredient (I doubt it), then put him back with those boys when he's healthy and get that line back to dominating ES.

Reactions: Menzinger

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I will give AM one get out of jail free card until we change the coach .. if his lacklustre play and indifferent attitude continue after Keefe is hired , I will then say that in terms of hard working , dedicated player and generational athlete should be removed from him and that we made a mistake with him .
Until then , we will have to wait .

I'm looking at the whole picture. He started his career challenging for the best goal-scorer in the world straight out of the gate but our dipshit coach decides not to reward it. Instead, he does the opposite. He limits his PP time to 105th in the league and 43rd in the league in ES/TOI despite being the best goal scorer in the league at ES. This kid could have won the Rocket Richard as a rookie had he gotten optimal usage and Babcock took that opportunity away from him. It's no secret why he's been responding the way he has to Babcock over the last 2 years.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I'm looking at the whole picture. He started his career challenging for the best goal-scorer in the world straight out of the gate but our dip**** coach decides not to reward it. Instead, he does the opposite. He limits his PP time to 105th in the league and 43rd in the league in ES/TOI despite being the best goal scorer in the league at ES. This kid could have won the Rocket Richard as a rookie had he gotten optimal usage and Babcock took that opportunity away from him. It's no secret why he's been responding the way he has to Babcock over the last 2 years.
You could be right and probably are ,
But
I’m of the mind and era , where even if that was and is the reasoning , players , athletes , people of all kinds should always try to rise above adversities in life in whatever they do

Last edited:
Reactions: Ports

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
I'm looking at the whole picture. He started his career challenging for the best goal-scorer in the world straight out of the gate but our dip**** coach decides not to reward it. Instead, he does the opposite. He limits his PP time to 105th in the league and 43rd in the league in ES/TOI despite being the best goal scorer in the league at ES. This kid could have won the Rocket Richard as a rookie had he gotten optimal usage and Babcock took that opportunity away from him. It's no secret why he's been responding the way he has to Babcock over the last 2 years.
And it's the same thing with Willie. Be the best player on the ice and get benched in a critical 6-on-5 last-minute situation... to make some kind of point?
AM's level of indifference last night was Horacek-level mutinous. The dressing room is completely toxic. It's not that Babcock is a hardass, these guys think he's incompetent and clueless and costing them their careers. If Babcock was a good coach, this would be mutinous but I think the players are right.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
are the young player's egos this fragile? If so it's going to be a long season.
Yup.

I remember last year posters said, "Wait until next year when Matthews is healthy, he has Nylander for an entire season, and he doesn't have to worry about his contract, he will tear up the League." Well... I'm waiting.

To blame Babcock is a crock. What happens when he's gone and there still is no difference? At what point is it Matthews' fault?

Anyone who watches Buffalo will tell you Eichel has passed Matthews by. Matthews simply does not have the compete level. Matthews is content to get his PPG and collect a cheque. It is what it is.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yup.

I remember last year, posters said, "Wait until next year when Matthews is healthy, he has Nylander for an entire season, and he doesn't have to worry about his contract, he will tear up the League." Well... I'm waiting.

To blame Babcock is a crock. What happens when he's gone and there still is no difference? At what point is it Matthews' fault?

Anyone who watches Buffalo will tell you Eichel has passed Matthews by. Matthews simply does not have the compete level. Matthews is content to get his PPG and collect a cheque. It is what it is.
hard to argue with your assessment.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This year Matthews hasn’t demonstrated that he is in the tier of:

Driving speed like a McDavid, MacKinnon or Eichel.

Strength from the center position with solid D like a Barkov, Kopitar was, Bergeron, Draisaitl, etc.

Ability to carry a team through the rough patches like a Crosby, Malkin.

At present, his salary is a tier too high.
Is it the coach? Or did injuries permanently change his game and we never get the original Matthews back. In which case again, that’s a lot of money added to a NMC in the final year.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So, let's see...

Matthews does NOT :

* Play defensive hockey;
* Engage people physically;
* Make his line mates better - remember how great Nylander was going to be this year?
* Show up for every game.

He does :

* Score on the PP or via the tap in at the side of the net or by using his patented flyby where other players do the hard work in front of the net as he shows up just in time to get the goal.

And for this the Leafs pay $11.6M. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ports

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You could be right and probably are ,
But
I’m of the mind and era , where even if that was and is the reasoning , players , athletes , people of all kinds should alts try to rise above adversities in life in whatever they do

If your the coach the last thing you should want is forcing guys to overcome adversity that you created, you want to put them in the best situation for their skill set and have them thrive

That's how you get positive results

If you hit adversity you should try to overcome it but creating for yourself isn't smart

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If so, how long before he quits on a rookie coach ?

Tonedog, you're a smart and reasonable guy.

Let me task you with something - try to envision yourself as a world class athlete. You know you got skills to be the best in the world at something. You have the ability to leave a legacy that will have people talking about you for years and years. Now try to imagine playing under a coach who intentionally inhibits you from creating this legacy. How would you respond to that? Would you maintain your respect for him even though he's stripping you of an opportunity to create your legacy? Something your kids and family would grow up respecting and idolizing?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yup.

I remember last year, posters said, "Wait until next year when Matthews is healthy, he has Nylander for an entire season, and he doesn't have to worry about his contract, he will tear up the League." Well... I'm waiting.

Funny how Eichel only "passed" Matthews once Buffalo got a competent coach.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tonedog, you're a smart and reasonable guy.

Let me task you with something - try to envision yourself as a world class athlete. You know you got skills to be the best in the world at something. You have the ability to leave a legacy that will have people talking about you for years and years. Now try to imagine playing under a coach who intentionally inhibits you from creating this legacy. How would you respond to that? Would you maintain your respect for him even though he's stripping you of an opportunity to create your legacy? Something your kids and family would grow up respecting and idolizing?
just another excuse imo, if it's not the coach, it's the ref's, if not them it's the schedule, or not enough PP time, or doesn't play with quality players, or, well you get the gist. Players need to own their poor play, the last thing they need is people feeding them excuses. Excuses won't help what's wrong with this team. Suck it up Buttercups.............

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
just another excuse imo, if it's not the coach, it's the ref's, if not them it's the schedule, or not enough PP time, or doesn't play with quality players, or, well you get the gist. Players need to own their poor play, the last thing they need is people feeding them excuses. Excuses won't help what's wrong with this team. Suck it up Buttercups.............

You not addressing any of my points says it all. You don't have any sort of adequate response. Goodbye son.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Then everyone above Babcock should be fired for not realizing and acting on that.

This is where this team is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Dubas is terrified of pulling the trigger on a high-risk move like firing the coach because in the event that the move fails and the team continues to struggle, he knows that the media is going to ruthlessly eat him alive. Dubas is no fool, he saw what this media has done to previous GM's like Burke. Except it's going to be even worse with him because he doesn't have the "roster's not good enough" excuses. He's a young guy and a move like that could potentially ruin his career.

So instead of pulling the trigger on a high-risk move, he's sitting on his hands hoping and praying that these glaring issues with the team will magically solve themselves.

This team is truly stuck in no-man's land right now. We're not good enough to make any sort of progress, but we're not bad enough to force our management into making the needed changes. This franchise is just freaking cursed, I don't even know what to say anymore.

Reactions: saffronleaf

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Then everyone above Babcock should be fired for not realizing and acting on that.
if Babcock isn't the right coach someone has to be held accountable for him remaining the coach of your Toronto Maple Leafs..........

Reactions: Trapper

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
if Babcock isn't the right coach someone has to be held accountable for him remaining the coach of your Toronto Maple Leafs..........

Just to level with you man, I really don't give a f*** if it's the players or the coach who's the problem.

This team needs changing one way or another. We've drafted franchise-altering players and we have all the pieces needed to turn this team into a legit contender but it's not happening.

Dubas being terrified of the mean Toronto media raking him over the coals is absolutely a problem.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is where this team is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Dubas is terrified of pulling the trigger on a high-risk move like firing the coach because in the event that the move fails and the team continues to struggle, he knows that the media is going to ruthlessly eat him alive. Dubas is no fool, he saw what this media has done to previous GM's like Burke. Except it's going to be even worse with him because he doesn't have the "roster's not good enough" excuses. He's a young guy and a move like that could potentially ruin his career.

So instead of pulling the trigger on a high-risk move, he's sitting on his hands hoping and praying that these glaring issues with the team will magically solve themselves.

This team is truly stuck in no-man's land right now. We're not good enough to make any sort of progress, but we're not bad enough to force our management into making the needed changes. This franchise is just freaking cursed, I don't even know what to say anymore.
are you suggesting Dubas is putting his future ahead of the team's future? Guess the players aren't the only butter soft element that's plaguing this team?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Absolutely.
Like I said, let the dam break and expose the excuses with a coach change.

Right now, these guys are playing like the Carlyle to Horachek end.

No more hiding. 3 guys are being paid as franchise players.

The other guy is taking up valuable cap space that should be allocated to D and backup goalie as a result of 3 10 million dollar players.

Let’s see who they are without Babcock. If they are the same, start moving them. If Babcock shielded then from the media, let’s see them answer more questions about the uninspired play, starting on time, etc.

But let’s see it. Enough hiding behind excuses.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Absolutely.
Like I said, let the dam break and expose the excuses with a coach change.

Right now, these guys are playing like the Carlyle to Horachek end.

No more hiding. 3 guys are being paid as franchise players.

The other guy is taking up valuable cap space that should be allocated to D and backup goalie as a result of 3 10 million dollar players.

Let’s see who they are without Babcock. If they are the same, start moving them. If Babcock shielded then from the media, let’s see them answer more questions about the uninspired play, starting on time, etc.

But let’s see it. Enough hiding behind excuses.
bring on the coaching change and let it be exposed where the real problem lies: team's construction, players effort, depth in goal.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If so, how long before he quits on a rookie coach ?

Babcock has been here for years now, he's the only coach a lot of these kids have ever had at the NHL level, eventually guys tune coaches out no matter who the coach is or how good they are at the job

Babcock does give off a vibe he's a tough intense coach to play for which can be difficult to put up with over long periods of time, especially for young players who aren't used to it

As of now the best option is to get everybody back, have a look at it for 6 weeks and if it's still poor ax Babcock

If the team continues to play poorly you start making decisions on players, all the players

Reactions: Ports and ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad