Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tonedog, you're a smart and reasonable guy.

Let me task you with something - try to envision yourself as a world class athlete. You know you got skills to be the best in the world at something. You have the ability to leave a legacy that will have people talking about you for years and years. Now try to imagine playing under a coach who intentionally inhibits you from creating this legacy. How would you respond to that? Would you maintain your respect for him even though he's stripping you of an opportunity to create your legacy? Something your kids and family would grow up respecting and idolizing?

I hear you. I know something sticks in Denmark but not sure what. Now if Matty is leading the charge to get Babs fired, what's to stop him leading the charge against the next coach as soon as he does not get his way like a spoiled child ? We know Eichel forced Blysma out and Housley was gassed last year. Now onto his third coach. At the end of the day, you are the second highest paid player in the game, start performing like it and force Babs to do things your way.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Babcock has been here for years now, he's the only coach a lot of these kids have ever had at the NHL level, eventually guys tune coaches out no matter who the coach is or how good they are at the job

Babcock does give off a vibe he's a tough intense coach to play for which can be difficult to put up with over long periods of time, especially for young players who aren't used to it

As of now the best option is to get everybody back, have a look at it for 6 weeks and if it's still poor ax Babcock

If the team continues to play poorly you start making decisions on players, all the players

If the losing continues, I would welcome a change, even if that is the rookie, Keefe. This team needs a shot in the arm and firing Babs might do the trick.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I hear you. I know something sticks in Denmark but not sure what. Now if Matty is leading the charge to get Babs fired, what's to stop him leading the charge against the next coach as soon as he does not get his way like a spoiled child ? We know Eichel forced Blysma out and Housley was gassed last year. Now onto his third coach. At the end of the day, you are the second highest paid player in the game, start performing like it and force Babs to do things your way.

Reactions: ToneDog

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Does Babcock seem like someone who's going to be forced to do things someone else's way to you?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

If that really is the case and Matthews just has no interest in putting forth a championship effort no matter who's the coach, so be it.

But that's the thing, to figure it out - we have to get another coach. So in that case, what's the god damn hold up then? We only have Matthews for another 4 years after this, we better get this figured out before this kid bolts town and we lose him for nothing.

I'm trying to think of ANY logical reasoning that supports keeping Babcock and I just can't. You agree that this team won't be making any progress as is, right?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Just for the record, I don't think Babcock is a horrible coach or anything. It's just clear as day this is no group for him to be coaching. We need a coach like Buffalo or Carolina have.

Put Babcock with the Islanders and I'm pretty sure he'd be getting similar results to Trotz.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If that really is the case and Matthews just has no interest in putting forth a championship effort no matter who's the coach, so be it.

But that's the thing, to figure it out - we have to get another coach. So in that case, what's the god damn hold up then? We only have Matthews for another 4 years after this, we better get this figured out before this kid bolts town and we lose him for nothing.

I'm trying to think of ANY logical reasoning that supports keeping Babcock and I just can't. You agree that this team won't be making any progress as is, right?

Asked the same question last week. The longer we wait, the deeper the hole we could be in.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I'm not going to speculate about any apparent disconnect between coach & players. Too hard to tell from our vantage point, often seen through the lens of media trying to create a story where there isn't one. However, I will say that Matthews had one of his worse games last night, but overall has been probably Toronto's best player this season, at least offensively. I think Babcock is doing quite a bit right for him...he's given him skilled linemates in Johnsson & Nylander, he's giving him the minutes he needs, he's got him playing on a loaded PP1 just like last season, and he's giving him a ton of o-zone starts. I like that he and Matthews both seem to recognize he needs to be better defensively to be a complete 1C.

I don't see a huge problem, worth firing a coach or trading a player here. Perhaps the speculation is true, but I doubt that Matthews has quit on Babcock, because that would be quitting on the team, and quitting on himself, and I think Matthews is driven to win, even if it means putting up with a stubborn mule of a coach. But who knows. All speculation from our standpoint. I'm sure when the team results start coming in, this talk will suddenly lessen.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree.

I want to see babcock fired just so all the "fire babcock and our kids will thrive" folks can learn, grow, and develop their hockey knowledge.
They will find a new excuse but it needs to be seen.
upload_2019-11-3_14-45-57.jpeg

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I agree.

I want to see babcock fired just so all the "fire babcock and our kids will thrive" folks can learn, grow, and develop their hockey knowledge.

Firing Babs might add a spark but until proven wrong this team is not built to win in the playoffs. With every game, I see more and more teams taking runs at Matthews. Dubas needs to bring in somebody that can do the same thing against other teams' stars. Without that threat, it will be open season on our stars.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Doesn't seem like the same player he was ... lacking enthusiasm.

Something is off, looks like playing is a struggle for him.

You watch Draisaitl and Matthews and it looks like one is a star and having fun the other is doing a job he doesn't like.
Ill say it. I dont find him to be a great center. Defensively he isn't great and he isn't the fastest skater. Does really well when he has the puck in the Ozone. Forwards who cant transition the puck out of the d zone or who lack great zone entry ability due to lack of speed are better as wingers. No shame in that. Ovie is a great goal scorer and they have enough sense to play him as a winger.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Does Babcock seem like someone who's going to be forced to do things someone else's way to you?
nope, but do you think Dubas has given him the tools he needs to compete for a cup with the type of hockey he's trying to get them to play? If the players have no interest in being "gud pro's" there's little hope for this team to succeed.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
nope, but do you think Dubas has given him the tools he needs to compete for a cup with the type of hockey he's trying to get them to play? If the players have no interest in being "gud pro's" there's little hope for this team to succeed.

Sometimes you need to change your coaching style and philosophy to suit the personnel you've been given

There's enough talent to succeed on the roster but if your going to be inflexible in how you use and deploy it your asking for failure

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sometimes you need to change your coaching style and philosophy to suit the personnel you've been given

There's enough talent to succeed on the roster but if your going to be inflexible in how you use and deploy it your asking for failure
the coach should be changed if you believe this, but I know you know there's more wrong with this team than the coach, but I'm all for seeing a change. I predict it works for a couple of games before the real problems once again arise. Of course by then Dubas' head will be on the chopping block along with Keefe's head.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
the coach should be changed if you believe this, but I know you know there's more wrong with this team than the coach, but I'm all for seeing a change. I predict it works for a couple of games before the real problems once again arise. Of course by then Dubas' head will be on the chopping block along with Keefe's head.

I want a change of coach first, then if nothing changes you start moving bodies on the roster and look at the GM'S philosophy on team building

I'm not that wedded to anyone in the organization as it currently stands

If people have to go so be it

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I want a change of coach first, then if nothing changes you start moving bodies on the roster and look at the GM'S philosophy on team building

I'm not that wedded to anyone in the organization as it currently stands

If people have to go so be it

Its certainly lot easier to change a coach than it is to remake a roster half way through the season.

I still think theres a.bit of time.to right then ship without even going that far (id like to see how.the team looks with Andersen actually playing consistently well), but if this team hasnt corrected itself by mid decemeber you definitely have to presume some sort of change is going to happen.

Reactions: Kiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad