Auston Matthews - Over/under 82 points

Auston Matthews - Over/under 82 points

• Over 82 (ppg+)

• Under 82 (<ppg)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He'll definitely get over a point a game, however after getting injured 4-5 times last year I can't see him playing a full season.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
The only reason under should be close is if we factored in the possibility of Matthews missing time, which according to the OP we are not. He was over point per game this year in an injury riddled season, doing almost all of his damage at even strength, there is no available date on planet earth to suggest he would be below. I'm not saying its impossible for Matthews to go below point per game but it should not be a 50/50 split based on anything other than how posters feel about the logo on the front of the sweater...and sadly, 2 years into his career, the name on the back.

Also good to see some of the usual suspects in here enjoying their summer.:D

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only reason under should be close is if we factored in the possibility of Matthews missing time, which according to the OP we are not. He was over point per game this year in an injury riddled season, doing almost all of his damage at even strength, there is no available date on planet earth to suggest he would be below. I'm not saying its impossible for Matthews to go below point per game but it should not be a 50/50 split based on anything other than how posters feel about the logo on the front of the sweater...and sadly, 2 years into his career, the name on the back.
I still say since Matthews has already played a full 82 game schedule in his rookie season, he's proved that he can do that. So for others to think he will have injuries and miss games next season is not a fair thing to say just based on this past season, which was bad luck for him.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If he plays 5 on 5 with Marner I'd bet both guys hitting 82+ or +ppg

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
What’s a real shame is we likely won’t get a great comparison of how the two guys perform in the playoffs since McDavid likely wont be seeing the post-season for a few years

You may or may not be right, but at least McDavid knows what the 2nd round looks like, something Matthews may never see.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Also good to see some of the usual suspects in here enjoying their summer.:D

To be fair, his career high is 69 points. Doesn't have to be about the Leafs.

Yes he had 63 in 62 this year, and we all know how good he is, so the fact that a lot of people expect him to reach 82 if he stays healthy despite not breaking 70 yet tells a lot about the respect for him. Put someone else in his position and we'd hear a lot more about how PPG is not actual points and how suggesting it's more likely for him to up his career high by ~15 than not is ridiculous. Heck, Toews had multiple seasons close to PPG in his prime but you still hear a lot of people only giving him credit for the 60-something points he usually put up.

Also, Phil Kessel had 92 points battling through nagging injuries since early on in the season. Injuries don't automatically make you lose out on possible points. Every time Matthews missed some time he had a really good game and scored (correct me if im wrong but i remember at least 2 games like that). I didn't think when he was playing that his injury slowed him down that much, we don't need to make his season sound a lot better using the injury excuse and make unnecessary expectations for what "healthy Matthews can do".

If he plays 82 games it'll be more of a grind again and chances for games when he's playing disinterested/looks tired go up. That's true for any player out there and that's why scoring 80 in 80 is always going to be harder than 60 in 60.

I think it's fair to say Matthews is good enough to say expectations are PPG right now. But it's also fair not to sound like he's done it already when he hasn't.

50/50 split is pretty spot on if you ask me. Besides, if i was a Leafs fan i couldn't care less if he puts up 78 points or 85 as long as he leads the team in goal scoring.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
To be fair, his career high is 69 points. Doesn't have to be about the Leafs.

Yes he had 63 in 62 this year, and we all know how good he is, so the fact that a lot of people expect him to reach 82 if he stays healthy despite not breaking 70 yet tells a lot about the respect for him. Put someone else in his position and we'd hear a lot more about how PPG is not actual points and how suggesting it's more likely for him to up his career high by ~15 than not is ridiculous. Heck, Toews had multiple seasons close to PPG in his prime but you still hear a lot of people only giving him credit for the 60-something points he usually put up.

Also, Phil Kessel had 92 points battling through nagging injuries since early on in the season. Injuries don't automatically make you lose out on possible points. Every time Matthews missed some time he had a really good game and scored (correct me if im wrong but i remember at least 2 games like that). I didn't think when he was playing that his injury slowed him down that much, we don't need to make his season sound a lot better using the injury excuse and make unnecessary expectations for what "healthy Matthews can do".

If he plays 82 games it'll be more of a grind again and chances for games when he's playing disinterested/looks tired go up. That's true for any player out there and that's why scoring 80 in 80 is always going to be harder than 60 in 60.

I think it's fair to say Matthews is good enough to say expectations are PPG right now. But it's also fair not to sound like he's done it already when he hasn't.

Just to address the bolded the poll question is asking if he can go ppg over the course of a season(full or otherwise) so I think it is fair to say that Matthews has already accomplished the poll question here since if this was asked before the 17/18 season and you answered "yes" you would have been correct. You raise some valid points here and I agree its harder to do 82 in 82 Im simply saying the odds should be largely in his favor, 69 points in his rookie season, ppg through 63 games this year, everything about his trajectory and where he already is would make ppg the odds on favorite answer here. Its not always about the Leafs but with Matthews resume he deserves the benefit of the doubt here more than a 50/50 split, hell I bet if you asked this question after Nathan MacKinnon's rookie season with similar point totals and without 63 games at ppg as a sophomore it would have been at least 70/30, its not all about the Leafs but its certainly not not about them.

As for the injuries, he did have a couple good games but it was the ten game stretch between injuries was by far the most sluggish he has looked. I'm not saying "lets see what a healthy Matthews can do" per se...but after his first year many posters talked about how "everything went right" now after year 2 he dealt with adversity and scored at ppg over a not insignificant part of the season. By in large the numbers STRONGLY support the ppg prediction, and I haven't even gotten into his likely powerplay points uptick with the (likely) departure of JVR and Bozak, and after a year with a dysfunctional unit.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Just to address the bolded the poll question is asking if he can go ppg over the course of a season(full or otherwise) so I think it is fair to say that Matthews has already accomplished the poll question here since if this was asked before the 17/18 season and you answered "yes" you would have been correct. You raise some valid points here and I agree its harder to do 82 in 82 Im simply saying the odds should be largely in his favor, 69 points in his rookie season, ppg through 63 games this year, everything about his trajectory and where he already is would make ppg the odds on favorite answer here. Its not always about the Leafs but with Matthews resume he deserves the benefit of the doubt here more than a 50/50 split, hell I bet if you asked this question after Nathan MacKinnon's rookie season with similar point totals and without 63 games at ppg as a sophomore it would have been at least 70/30, its not all about the Leafs but its certainly not not about them.

As for the injuries, he did have a couple good games but it was the ten game stretch between injuries was by far the most sluggish he has looked. I'm not saying "lets see what a healthy Matthews can do" per se...but after his first year many posters talked about how "everything went right" now after year 2 he dealt with adversity and scored at ppg over a not insignificant part of the season. By in large the numbers STRONGLY support the ppg prediction, and I haven't even gotten into his likely powerplay points uptick with the (likely) departure of JVR and Bozak, and after a year with a dysfunctional unit.

You bring up valid points of course but you also have to realize not everybody watch the Leafs on a regular basis. For the average non-Leafs fan projecting 82 points for a guy with career high 69 isn't that simple and it's easy for opinions to vary there. But i think for a lot of people voting no it's not a clear cut no and it wouldn't shock anyone if he did it. If there was a "no but he gets close" option i bet most of the no-votes would go there, leaving the "definitely not going to happen" in the minority.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Have him under...But not by much. 75-85 pt range. The majority of the range is just under so I went with that. Good player and wouldn't be surprised if he hit 90, hope he can stay healthy for you guys.

Edit - Apparently oiler fans are not welcome in this thread. Got a few people stirring the pot.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Flip a coin.

At this point you expect to see PPG from him so if he's healthy it'll be close.

I'd be surprised to see him challenge for the Art Ross though. He's not an assist machine like some of the top point getters.

But i voted over, finishing a full season PPG im sure is something he'd like to do.

He's actually a really good playmaker. Not McDavid level or anything, but he has great vision and his stick handling opens up easy passing lanes. It's just hard to rack up assists when Hyman is so bad at finishing them. Nylander has a great shot, but he always seems to ride a ridiculously low shooting percentage until it randomly jumps at a part of the season (ironically when Matthews was injured).

OT: Over. PPG despite multiple injuries, theoretically should be better next season (linear way of thinking). 90 points is doable. If he plays with Marner 5v5 or at least the PP, I can see 100 points being a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad