Auston Matthews - Over/under 82 points

Auston Matthews - Over/under 82 points

• Over 82 (ppg+)

• Under 82 (<ppg)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Over.

3rd in EV point production behind McDavid and MacKinnon.

Next season, he is assured a spot on the top PP unit so expect him PP numbers to come back to at least that of a top line player.

If he plays a full season, he passes 90 points easily.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Over.

Next season, he is assured a spot on the top PP unit so expect him PP numbers to come back to at least that of a top line player.

Agreed!

If you watch his game, he is ready to fully breakout in both the playmaking department and even more goals.

Babs needs to take off the shackles lol

I wouldn't be surprised to see him over 100 points if healthy and going strong

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
82 game pace last year was 45g/83pts

that was a decent jump from 40g/69pts

he will keep getting better. 45g/90pts if healthy is my bet

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
For those saying if he stays healthy..I also mentioned that his rate could be ppg as well. So an over 82pt vote also means over ppg, even if that's only 75 games with 76 points.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's one of the best players in the world at 5v5, but he's not that great at racking up PP points. maybe it'll change next year though

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I voted over but in any case, I think he'll be close to the PPG mark. If he misses (which I don't see him doing), it won't be by much.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Liking the over here. AM34 will have unfinished business and I can easily see him pumping 40+ past unsuspecting goalies and adding another 40 or so assists as well.
Please Auston, don't take it out on our rebuilding franchise.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he should be right around there with a more likely than not chance that he's over. I'm not sure I agree with the 100 point potential some are saying, but I can see 90 if all goes well and scoring stays higher.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Over.

I believe Matthews has the same amount of 5v5 goals scored as McDavid.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Hard to imagine he'll get less if he plays a full season given that he'll get far more PP time and potentially more ice time with guys like Marner

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I’m going over. Babcock knows it’s time to take the cuffs off and let him play 20 mins a night and 1st PP.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
44 G 42 A 86 points if he gets up to 3:00+ minutes. pp toi. 42 G 39 A if his pp toi stays under 2:30.

About the same deal with with toi/ game. The more he plays the closer to the 86 points, the less he plays the closer to 81 points.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
McDavid led the league with 30, Matthews was 4th with 26 which is pretty damn good considering he only played 62 games. No question he's one of the best goal scorers in the league, and maybe even the best goalscorer 5v5.
Actually if you ignore McDavid's rookie season it turns out Matthews has more 5v5 goals since he came into the league, because that was mentioned on TSN when they did their rankings of 1st overall picks since 1969.

Matthews total of 5v5 goals so far is 56 goals.

McDavid's total of 5v5 goals since his 2nd season only is 51 goals. Of course his actual total is 63 5v5 goals when you include his rookie season.

Auston Matthews NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com

Connor McDavid NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Actually if you ignore McDavid's rookie season it turns out Matthews has more 5v5 goals since he came into the league, because that was mentioned on TSN when they did their rankings of 1st overall picks since 1969.

Matthews total of 5v5 goals so far is 56 goals.

McDavid's total of 5v5 goals since his 2nd season only is 51 goals. Of course his actual total is 63 5v5 goals when you include his rookie season.

Auston Matthews NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com

Connor McDavid NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com
Definitely doesn't surprise me. McDavid's goal scoring game is evolving, but it wasn't one of his biggest strengths up until this past season. The progression of his goalscoring and point production in the NHL is actually eerily similar to his 3 years in the OHL so I'm excited to see what year 4 will entail.

For Matthews he definitely saw an uptick in both goals and assists on a per game basis. There's no question imo that he will be among the elite goalscorers in this league for the next decade+. What I'm curious to see is if he can get his playmaking numbers up to elite levels. He's got a long way to go to get into that elite playmaker production of 50-60+ assists per year, but he's on the right path. Even if he can get into the mid 40 range that likely leaves him as an 85-90 point player.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Definitely doesn't surprise me. McDavid's goal scoring game is evolving, but it wasn't one of his biggest strengths up until this past season. The progression of his goalscoring and point production in the NHL is actually eerily similar to his 3 years in the OHL so I'm excited to see what year 4 will entail.

For Matthews he definitely saw an uptick in both goals and assists on a per game basis. There's no question imo that he will be among the elite goalscorers in this league for the next decade+. What I'm curious to see is if he can get his playmaking numbers up to elite levels. He's got a long way to go to get into that elite playmaker production of 50-60+ assists per year, but he's on the right path. Even if he can get into the mid 40 range that likely leaves him as an 85-90 point player.
So far in his first 2 seasons Matthews has had 29 assists and chances are if he was not injured he would have got at least 30+ in that category. So I think next year you will see his numbers in that category go up.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So far in his first 2 seasons Matthews has had 29 assists and chances are if he was not injured he would have got at least 30+ in that category. So I think next year you will see his numbers in that category go up.
Yeah thats what I meant. Last season he was on pace for 38 over 82 games which was a nice uptick from his rookie year. He's going to need to keep working on that and push up near the 50 assist range if he wants to be considered a top 5 centre in the league, which imo is his potential if he can improve that part of his game.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah thats what I meant. Last season he was on pace for 38 over 82 games which was a nice uptick from his rookie year. He's going to need to keep working on that and push up near the 50 assist range if he wants to be considered a top 5 centre in the league, which imo is his potential if he can improve that part of his game.
If Matthews can play a lot more with Mitch Marner next season and even if it's just on the same power play line, I can see one of two things happening. Either Marner will set him up more goals which pads both their stats along with Matthews total goals or Marner will score more goals and Matthews will get more assists giving him the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad