Auston Matthews Milestone 100th career goal at 21 yo

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
So what's the Best One?

The price goal?
My favorite was his 2nd (?) Against Ottawa in his first game in the bigs.

Just undresses two players, embarrasses Karlsson of all players, and then picks the far corner.

Maybe not the most visually appealing, but it was the most impressive to me.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Guy has a great release. Something about his shot is just deceptive, goalies don't know how to play it.
He has a way of changing the angle at the last second. He often combines that with using the defenseman as a screen... shooting right through their legs or under their stick.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
He has a way of changing the angle at the last second. He often combines that with using the defenseman as a screen... shooting right through their legs or under their stick.
Last night also showed his intelligence while shooting as well. Noticed that Fleury was cheating high, so he went low and absolutely froze a premier goalie. Good shot, good brain, good player.

Reactions: glucker and Albi34

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Congratulations to Mathews and Leafs let's hope he stays healthy next year and has a chance for 50 plus. NHL needs goal scorers and he's definitely one !

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
My favorite was in I think Game 6 against the Caps when the puck kicked off the boards and he kind of cradled it and went top cheese.
Probably my favorite too. I was speechless.

Last night also showed his intelligence while shooting as well. Noticed that Fleury was cheating high, so he went low and absolutely froze a premier goalie. Good shot, good brain, good player.
Yeah. I think it's arguably more important to have good shot selection and a good head for offensive positioning than it is to have a bomb of a shot. Nylander has a bomb and sometimes shows that by just putting it shortside top corner before the goaltender can react, but if he doesn't do that then he basically won't score. His shot selection tend to be pretty bad, and he's not great at finding soft areas or rebounds either. Comparing him and Matthews is a good way to see what makes a goalscorer.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
To me its unparalleled in any sport. Only one that maybe comes close is Tiger Woods IMO.
Jim Clark to racing in the 60's is a pretty incredible story. A tidbit, he was British and decided to come over and race the indy 500. Since they haven't really heard of him they made him do a drivers test.......he ended up winning the race by over 2 minutes LOL

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Good drafting beyond the first round.

What big contributor on the Leafs was drafted after the 1st? Matthews, Marner, Rielly top 5 picks. Kadri and Nylander top 10. Tavares huge FA signing. Andersen in a trade.

Its about nailing your 1st rounders, and tanking at the right time so you end up with Matthews and Marner instead of Yakupov, RNH and Puljujaarvi.

Winnipeg hasn't tanked per se but they are build upon great 1st rounders, as well as late bloomers like Wheeler and Buff becoming stars years after signing as FAs.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
My favorite was his 2nd (?) Against Ottawa in his first game in the bigs.

Just undresses two players, embarrasses Karlsson of all players, and then picks the far corner.

Maybe not the most visually appealing, but it was the most impressive to me.

Yep, that was the best and most unforgettable. How can anyone forget that one

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
What big contributor on the Leafs was drafted after the 1st? Matthews, Marner, Rielly top 5 picks. Kadri and Nylander top 10. Tavares huge FA signing. Andersen in a trade.
you

Its about nailing your 1st rounders, and tanking at the right time so you end up with Matthews and Marner instead of Yakupov, RNH and Puljujaarvi.

Winnipeg hasn't tanked per se but they are build upon great 1st rounders, as well as late bloomers like Wheeler and Buff becoming stars years after signing as FAs.
Brown, Johnsson, Dermot, Gauthier sparks were players that were chosen after the first round. There are also players on the Marlies that are ready to come up soon. Good player development is something the Leafs have really worked on and improved over the years.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Brown, Johnsson, Dermot, Gauthier sparks were players that were chosen after the first round. There are also players on the Marlies that are ready to come up soon. Good player development is something the Leafs have really worked on and improved over the years.
Every team has players like that though, even Edmonton.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

yeah winnipeg as a franchise has been build on top 10 picks as well.
Laine,Trouba,Ehlers,Schiefele, and a couple mid rd picks in Morrisey and COnnor

Little was 12th overall from the thrashers and lets not forget the two top 5 picks (kane and bogosian) they parlayed into Myers ++

Reactions: Hollywood North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad