Auston Matthews Milestone 100th career goal at 21 yo

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
When Laine gets out of his slump things will change.

Nobody should write off a 44 goal scorer.
What slump? The entire season? He has 18 goals, 1 assist in November and 8 goals, 10 assists the rest of the season combined.

In their career, Laine has played 26 more games, 15 less points, 4 more goals, 19 less assists. 26 more games.

So yeah he's not close.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Nah now he can get #102, 103 and 104 against them :)
Won't be the same... :( Goal number 100 would've been Amazing against Arizona! Just imagine it! Matthews scores, his childhood hero Shane Doan up in the skybox watching and the whole arena giving Matthews a 5 minute standing ovation!

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
A standing ovation from 78 people isn't all that impressive.
As Leafs fans we should be more kind to Arizona and their fans. Remember we wouldn't have Matthews without Arizona getting a team. And Matthews would most likely be stuck working at Burger King. Plus Arizona and their fans are useful when we ridicule our arch nemesis, the Winnipeg Jets.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Marner is not better than Matthews.

As for Laine, I predicted that he would the Rocket last year and this year, so I in no way underestimate his ability to score. But there is a lot more to hockey than scoring goals, so even when Laine goes on a tear, he is not as a good as Matthews is.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
hard to believe eichel hasnt hit 100 yet with a season head start

remember when matthews woulda went 3rd in the 2015 draft leafs fans?

And here is the Eichel mention, let it be known a leaf fan is the one who brought him up. A couple leaf fans pull this crap all the time and then someone comes swooping in blaming Sabres fans for talking about Eichel. He had not been mentioned once in this thread before this.

Why even present this argument? It's well known Matthews is more of a goal scorer and Eichel is more of a playmaker. Why create an argument here? Can't you just be happy with your player in a thread about him?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Why do fans have to come in and go "Player x is better"? Like who cares? Matthews is obviously one of the NHL's top talents and will be, like many said, McDavid's Malkin of the next generation. Even earlier in the year when people picked Mackinnon before he came back to earth, people ignored that MacKinnon came no where close to the play Matthews is at until he was 2 years older than him. When Matthews is 23 he'll be scoring 100 points and 50 goals regularly.

Just enjoy him.

So you say this, right after liking this post:

hard to believe eichel hasnt hit 100 yet with a season head start

remember when matthews woulda went 3rd in the 2015 draft leafs fans?

Which is the first mention of Eichel in the thread.....kinda hypocritical

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So you say this, right after liking this post:

Which is the first mention of Eichel in the thread.....kinda hypocritical

I liked it for the 3rd OA part. I remember that well and I there were still some even saying it 20 games into this season. Matthews has been compared to a lot of lesser players and frame as being worse than them and he's proven all those people wrong.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I liked it for the 3rd OA part. I remember that well and I there were still some even saying it 20 games into this season. Matthews has been compared to a lot of lesser players and frame as being worse than them and he's proven all those people wrong.

So you ARE being hypocritical, okay, as long as that is established.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Can you call an entire season a "slump"? I think it is time to consider Laine isn't as terrible as he is now nor is he as good as the Jets' fans though he would be. He somewhere in the middle.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
So you ARE being hypocritical, okay, as long as that is established.

Not really. What would be hypocritical is going into an Eichel thread about his accomplishment and saying "He's still worse than Matthews" which is what several posters did. Talking about how far Matthews has come is not even close to the same thing.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Not really. What would be hypocritical is going into an Eichel thread about his accomplishment and saying "He's still worse than Matthews" which is what several posters did. Talking about how far Matthews has come is not even close to the same thing.

You need to re-read this thread. Not a single person mentioned Eichel until that other Leafs fan did. So this is a straight up lie.

I even posted earlier in the thread and the entirety of my post is "Matthews is good at the game of Hockey". So I have no idea what you are talking about. Drop the victim complex.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
You need to re-read this thread. Not a single person mentioned Eichel until that other Leafs fan did. So this is a straight up lie.

I even posted earlier in the thread and the entirety of my post is "Matthews is good at the game of Hockey". So I have no idea what you are talking about. Drop the victim complex.

My post wasn't about Eichel it was about the big P out west.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
My post wasn't about Eichel it was about the big P out west.

Okay, so to clarify again then, you are fine with leaf fans coming into Matthews threads talking about other players as long as it is a disparaging remark in comparison to Matthews, but you don't accept it the other way round?

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Okay, so to clarify again then, you are fine with leaf fans coming into Matthews threads talking about other players as long as it is a disparaging remark in comparison to Matthews, but you don't accept it the other way round?

Holy. It's pretty simple.

- Don't go into a thread to devalue accomplishments (Ok but still worse than X / not even the best in their divison type comments)

- However it is ok to talk about how far a player has come and past comparables that have been proven wrong.

So in the context of my comment, I was saying Pettersson fans need to get out if they just want to come in and try to claim he is still worse or whatever. If you want to challenge the Eichel thing, call out that poster, not me. But it is a fair topic in the thread.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Go back and look at Laine's November stats where he scored 5 goals in one game and lit up teams.

The only good thing about this slump is we get to sign Laine on the cheap.
So that one month is the real Laine but the other 3+ months is a slump? Seems like the opposite. He was on a hot streak.

Reactions: MMMOOOWWW

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Holy. It's pretty simple.

- Don't go into a thread to devalue accomplishments (Ok but still worse than X / not even the best in their divison type comments)

- However it is ok to talk about how far a player has come and past comparables that have been proven wrong.

So in the context of my comment, I was saying Pettersson fans need to get out if they just want to come in and try to claim he is still worse or whatever. If you want to challenge the Eichel thing, call out that poster, not me. But it is a fair topic in the thread.

Thank you for clarifying that your position is it is fine to compare players as long as Matthews is the winner. Enjoy the rest of the season.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Check out the first two seasons for his stats.

He definitely had 2 year hot streak.
And this season aside from one month he has been brutal. I wouldn't call a 35(ish) game streak a "slump". That's nearly half a season and it's not like he was okay that half a season. He was brutal. I made a mistake too. He has 25 goals this year not 26 so he has 7 goals outside of November. Laine is closer to Nylander than he is to Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->