Auston Matthews is heating up - 8 goals in 6 games. Will he catch up and win the rocket?

Will Auston Matthews win the Rocket for most goals this season?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't feel like looking into every single goal scorer but I am fairly certain they all score in streaks.

But for some reason saying that is triggering for a certain poster when it comes to a particular player.

If every goal scorer is considered streaky by a certain definition, then the definition should probably be adjusted if we want the word to actually mean something. The original comment clearly implies that it’s something unique to Matthews compared to his competitors. Any meaningful analysis would need to compare him to others, which wasn’t done, and if it was, would determine the assertion is not true. That’s why people took issue with it.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I don't feel like looking into every single goal scorer but I am fairly certain they all score in streaks.

But for some reason saying that is triggering for a certain poster when it comes to a particular player.
Good news: you don’t need to. I already did it for you. Yet you refuse to back down from your claim of inconsistent. Somehow
I’m the one who’s triggered when I provide a polite and researched response. Go figure.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Really what one is left to wonder is why you bring it up at all, since it is a meaningless observation if most or all goalscorers are streaky.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
If every goal scorer is considered streaky by a certain definition, then the definition should probably be adjusted if we want the word to actually mean something. The original comment clearly implies that it’s something unique to Matthews compared to his competitors. Any meaningful analysis would need to compare him to others, which wasn’t done, and if it was, would determine the assertion is not true. That’s why people took issue with it.

Definition of streaky: variable in quality; not predictable or reliable.

As I showed, at times matthews scores close to gpg while at other times he scores ~ half a gpg. That is the definition.

This is the original comment:

"Honestly he could and he could also not. He's a very talented player but he is very streaky. He goes cold for stretches and very hot for stretches. Right now he's on fire though."​

Where does it say that matthews is streaky but other players aren't? matthews has 8 in his last 6 or 17 in his last 20, which ever way you want to look at it. He isn't going to maintain that for the rest of the season. He's on a hot streak and will most likely go cold at some point. This is simple. All players do. Yet some posters are getting irrationally upset because we are talking about matthews.

I don't think I've ever seen fans as defensive regarding a player who has accomplished so little. 1 rocket, a Calder and a 0.75 ppg in the PO and yet some think he's been the 2nd best player for awhile now.

You were talking about a hot streak. It’s just as easy to frame it as a cold streak followed by consistency

Yes I was. Both 8 goals in 6 and 17 in 20 are hot streaks while 1 in 6 and 10 in 20 are not. This isn't difficult.

Last edited:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Really what one is left to wonder is why you bring it up at all, since it is a meaningless observation if most or all goalscorers are streaky.

We've seen this before. Matthew goes on a bender where he's pacing for 70+ goals and some Leafs fans tell us he will continue with this pace. But he ends up cooling off for a bit and his goals normalize with the hot and cold streak.

Right now he is on a hot streak. To mention that and to say it won't last shouldn't be that upsetting or shocking. All players do.

But for some reason if you mention "matthews" and anything slightly negative you get multiple leaf fans throwing a fit.

Reactions: The90

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
We've seen this before. Matthew goes on a bender where he's pacing for 70+ goals and some Leafs fans tell us he will continue with this pace. But he ends up cooling off for a bit and his goals normalize with the hot and cold streak.

Right now he is on a hot streak. To mention that and to say it won't last shouldn't be that upsetting or shocking. All players do.

But for some reason if you mention "matthews" and anything slightly negative you get multiple leaf fans throwing a fit.

you're making way too much out of 6 games in order to come up with some kind of weak knock on Leaf fans.

I told you, 59 goals in his last 78. that ain't a "streak". it's what this player is right now.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
you're making way too much out of 6 games in order to come up with some kind of weak knock on Leaf fans.

I told you, 59 goals in his last 78. that ain't a "streak". it's what this player is right now.

Not to mention 59 in 78 playing hurt for many of them or returning from surgery after missing training camp. That puts him in the 60-65 range in a full season being healthy for 80% of them at most. Yet I've seen basically no one expecting 70 goals out of him even in a hypothetically fully healthy season. Trolls love to be fed and some of them are getting a full course meal right here in this thread.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Definition of streaky: variable in quality; not predictable or reliable.

As I showed, at times matthews scores close to gpg while at other times he scores ~ half a gpg. That is the definition.

This is the original comment:

"Honestly he could and he could also not. He's a very talented player but he is very streaky. He goes cold for stretches and very hot for stretches. Right now he's on fire though."​

Where does it say that matthews is streaky but other players aren't? matthews has 8 in his last 6 or 17 in his last 20, which ever way you want to look at it. He isn't going to maintain that for the rest of the season. He's on a hot streak and will most likely go cold at some point. This is simple. All players do. Yet some posters are getting irrationally upset because we are talking about matthews.

I don't think I've ever seen fans as defensive regarding a player who has accomplished so little. 1 rocket, a Calder and a 0.75 ppg in the PO and yet some think he's been the 2nd best player for awhile now.

Yes I was. Both 8 goals in 6 and 17 in 20 are hot streaks while 1 in 6 and 10 in 20 are not. This isn't difficult.

A dictionary definition is irrelevant. Again, if a definition applies to everyone within a specific group, it’s meaningless as a differentiator. Using that definition would be like calling everyone in the NHL elite because they’re the top 0.1% of players. Calling a player streaky is meaningless unless it’s relative to other players. If someone suggests a player might or might not win and brings up them running hot and cold the implication is very clearly that he runs differently than the competition. This isn’t difficult.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

Where does this "6 games" you keep mentioning come from? Seems like a strange straw man to throw up.

Also what "knock"? We are discussing if auston matthews is streaky or not. I'm not sure how you can take offense to this kind of conversation but I guess that's why some Leaf fans think everyone hates them?

I have shown you multiple examples spanning 20 games that show how streaky matthews can be.

Also I already mentioned, nobody here is saying matthews is a bad goal scorer or that he scores in streaks more than any other player. The OG post even said that matthews may win the rocket and that he is very talented.

It's clear you still have no idea what "streaky" means so I suppose there is no point in further arguing this with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
A dictionary definition is irrelevant. Again, if a definition applies to everyone within a specific group, it’s meaningless as a differentiator. Using that definition would be like calling everyone in the NHL elite because they’re the top 0.1% of players. Calling a player streaky is meaningless unless it’s relative to other players. If someone suggests a player might or might not win and brings up them running hot and cold the implication is very clearly that he runs differently than the competition. This isn’t difficult.

The dictionary definition is the definition. How exactly is that irrelevant? That doesn't even make sense.

Once again, the original post does not say that matthews is unique in that he scores in streaks. It does however acknowledge that he is currently on a streak (either 8 in 6 or 17 in 20, which ever way you look at it) and will most likely cool off.

I don't understand why some of you are having such a difficult time with this. It seems like some of you just like to get offended for the sake of arguing, especially when it comes to matthews. Nobody said he sucks. In fact the the OG post said that matthews may win the rocket and that he is very talented. Yet apparently for some, that isn't enough.

If you want to ignore the streaks I've shown you that demonstrate how streaky matthews goal scoring is that's fine. But I don't see the point in arguing with you then.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I'm not going to look up the stats cause I'm lazy but I'd bet Matthew's has scored in more games than anyone except maybe Ovechkin since entering the league. So that means if you wanna call him streaky then every player is streaky which devalues the word. So no he is obviously not a streaky goal scorer but elitely consistent.

Maria Sharapova

Jun 4, 2010
The dictionary definition is the definition. How exactly is that irrelevant? That doesn't even make sense.

Once again, the original post does not say that matthews is unique in that he scores in streaks. It does however acknowledge that he is currently on a streak (either 8 in 6 or 17 in 20, which ever way you look at it) and will most likely cool off.

I don't understand why some of you are having such a difficult time with this. It seems like some of you just like to get offended for the sake of arguing, especially when it comes to matthews. Nobody said he sucks. In fact the the OG post said that matthews may win the rocket and that he is very talented. Yet apparently for some, that isn't enough.

If you want to ignore the streaks I've shown you that demonstrate how streaky matthews goal scoring is that's fine. But I don't see the point in arguing with you then.
I mean Matthews is the most consistent goal scorer since entering the league so if it’s streaky to not score in every game then I guess he is. But I think it’s more likely you have something against a certain leafs player

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
I think what @Stamkos4life is trying to say is that recency bias may be playing a part here and Matthews isn't going to continue scoring at a goal per game pace. I will have to agree with him there. However if half a goal per game is considered "cold" for someone, that person is a generational scoring talent

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I already explained for you why it doesn’t make sense to use a literal definition, but at this point it’s clear you don’t get it, and given that you still don’t see the clear subtext in the post in question, I’m going to guess that’s not going to change

Reactions: Sundinisagod

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he stays healthy then yes, because he scores every night he has 13 goals in his last 10 games.

His next 5 games are scheduled to be Vancouver, Seattle, Blues who are pretty beat up, Columbus and Pittsburgh.

That's not exactly murders row, Pittsburgh is pretty good but beyond them those are all games where he should get his opportunity to score especially against Seattle given they are an expansion team.

I will go a little bit further and suggest that if Matthews is healthy the scoring title might be possible given Edmonton's struggles

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
If he stays healthy then yes, because he scores every night he has 13 goals in his last 10 games.

His next 5 games are scheduled to be Vancouver, Seattle, Blues who are pretty beat up, Columbus and Pittsburgh.

That's not exactly murders row, Pittsburgh is pretty good but beyond them those are all games where he should get his opportunity to score especially against Seattle given they are an expansion team.

I will go a little bit further and suggest that if Matthews is healthy the scoring title might be possible given Edmonton's struggles

Than he has to score 70-80 goals, because he is on pace for just 39 asissts.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

Let’s not get carried away with the scoring title lol

Mar 26, 2010
He's 12 points back but if he stays healthy, I don't think it's impossible for him to makes that up the way he's playing
I agree, he is just that good. Generational goal scorer, the NHL has not seen a player of Matthews goal scoring caliber since Ovechkin entered the league in 2005.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad