Auston Matthews Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With all the (understandable) flak Matthews has gotten for losing important faceoffs in the defensive zone and having goals against on set plays from those faceoffs...

Gotta respect what Matthews did last night. Solid faceoff win (he was great on faceoffs all night). Set play that he and Marner seemed like they were discussing on the bench just before the faceoff. Well executed. Game winning goal.

That was a great set play on the Marner goal. Would be nice to see them surprise with more of these in the playoffs.

Reactions: saffronleaf

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If the NHL was a video game...

1. Press (~) to bring up the command console.
2. Type GOALSFOR34

Great now anytime Matthews gets the puck, it immediately goes into any visible part of the net.

You, me, and like one other guy get this :)

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
He is the best Leaf ever and will end the Ballard curse!

I know they won't have anyone wearing the "C" out of respect for JT and I agree with that, but Auston is our Captain now, please bring Stanley home Big Daddy!

Reactions: CocoaDrink

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I remember the Habs were one ball away from getting Matthews in the draft lottery. In some parallel universe Matthews is a hab. I call that "the darkest universe".
Considering we were also ONE ball away from drafting McDavid. I called that the Fantasy Universe where Leafs drafted McDavid and Matthews, traded for Mackinnon when he was struggling and added Jones when Nash didn’t want to pay him. Lol.
Honestly, I didn’t know Habs was one ball away from drafting AM

Reactions: The Beyonder

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
You have to adjust for games played but I agree with what you are saying. Talk of the north division being all offense and no defense is and always has been garbage.

Adjusted:
Central - 2.8614
West - 2.9206
North - 2.9469
East - 2.9963

The difference from lowest to highest, multiplied out over a 56 game schedule is either 7 or 8 goals total difference. Then consider 1) that the north isn't the worst that differential is even smaller at ~5, 2) that those numbers would need to be halved to be reflective of how many more goals each team would see on their season totals, and 3) that of a tiny number like 2.5-4 goals per team there's zero garauntees as to who contributes to those extra goals

Those numbers would mean something if it was one league, instead of four.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Those numbers would mean something if it was one league, instead of four.

Those numbers directly show how much the goals for I'm each individual division was. It shows, very clearly, that the North is average in this regard, which seriously undercuts the idea it's a no defense division

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
He's just getting better all the time.

I love seeing the more aggressive side of him this year. I know he's not an animated guy, he's measured. But he for sure is adding more and more facets to his game. He can put the puck in the net for fun, but the other parts that can be easy to neglect if you're so impactive, he's developing at an impressive rate.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I like his maturity and composure when it comes to picking spots to engage physically. He understands his value of being on the ice.

Yet another improving attribute of this amazing kid.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Absolutely love him! Kid has skill, personality, character and style and isn't afraid to show it! He should be the face the of the league. Hockey has this silent culture of boring players off the ice like Crosby and McDavid. At least Crsoby can speak well and is good on camera. McDavid is just plain awkward on camera and doesnt have a face for TV.

What an opportunity for the league to market it self to a larger American audience. If I were ESPN with the new TV deal, Auston is the guy I am marketing.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

pretty tough to get 40 without a single ENG. Which further illuminates just how impressive that gap from his goal total to the second most. Incredible is the only way to describe it

He's the only player who has put up elite goal totals with borderline 2nd line player ice time and no empty net goals, and starting from the age of 19. He's an absolute phenom.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Screenshot (2).png

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Love that he's finally throwing his weight around. He can dominate the game, not just by scoring goals. He is built like a redwood. Before he was too passive. Hopefully now he has realized his true potential and can become a force in playoff hockey!

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Love that he's finally throwing his weight around. He can dominate the game, not just by scoring goals. He is built like a redwood. Before he was too passive. Hopefully now he has realized his true potential and can become a force in playoff hockey!

I wonder how much the presence of the vets on the team have helped him and encouraged him to be a bit more physically engaged and use his size.

He is becoming a complete player!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I wonder how much the presence of the vets on the team have helped him and encouraged him to be a bit more physically engaged and use his size.

He is becoming a complete player!
Even if you're a tough guy as Mathews seems to be, I think anyone is a little braver when you know you can count on backup and it's not just you.

Reactions: saffronleaf

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
We needed Matthews to answer the bell last night and he did.

Simple as that. Commanding performance from the Rocket Richard Winner.

Matthews should be getting Selke talk too imo.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Can we take a moment to appreciate that Matthews is leading this series in shots, hits and takeaways so far! (would probably be leading in goals if not for those 2 post as well)
What an all around beast he has become! Definitely feel confident with him leading our team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad