Auston Matthews Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I am confident in saying we are watching the two best Leafs of all time in AM and Mitch. Only Dougie in 92/93 and 93/94 even came close to what these two guys are doing. Sittler's peak was a bit before my time

Reactions: WillyC and Mats13

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
As a fan of the game, I'm not sure you could have better ambassador's to the game right now. A Mexican-American Kid from a non-traditional Hockey state in Arizona, and arguably one of, if not the most electric players to ever play the game in Connor McDavid. What these 2 guys are doing right now is nothing short of legendary. I find myself glued to every Oiler game hoping we see greatness and never am left disappointed. Auston is the same way. These 2 do things with the puck that has never been seen before. If you are new to the game and watch any game of theirs, it would be hard to think you wouldn't come away with your jaw dropped. The only thing that could put the game in better place would be a superstar from a visible minority that is on par with those 2. It has been a constant state of pinch me ever since Auston was drafted. As life long suffering Leaf fans know, this is not supposed to happen to us lol

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Hey guys don't take that, the North has no D bull. Interesting stat below. Team average goals scored, to date.

North 152.4 goals per team
West 152.6 goals per team
Central 153.8 goals per team
East 161.8 goals per team.​
Ya, it's remarkable what some fanbases will do to devalue what Auston and Conner are doing this year. Ironically its mostly from fans of other North division teams that don't have either player lol. Imagine what these 2 would do playing BUF and DET 10 times a year??

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Screenshot_20210507-115007_Twitter.jpg

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
The jealousy for him is evidence of how good he is. I've noticed fans in Canada don't like him. Fans in the States love him. Fans in Edmonton....well you know.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hey guys don't take that, the North has no D bull. Interesting stat below. Team average goals scored, to date.

North 152.4 goals per team
West 152.6 goals per team
Central 153.8 goals per team
East 161.8 goals per team.​

You have to adjust for games played but I agree with what you are saying. Talk of the north division being all offense and no defense is and always has been garbage.

Adjusted:
Central - 2.8614
West - 2.9206
North - 2.9469
East - 2.9963

The difference from lowest to highest, multiplied out over a 56 game schedule is either 7 or 8 goals total difference. Then consider 1) that the north isn't the worst that differential is even smaller at ~5, 2) that those numbers would need to be halved to be reflective of how many more goals each team would see on their season totals, and 3) that of a tiny number like 2.5-4 goals per team there's zero garauntees as to who contributes to those extra goals

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The McDavid thread on the main board - 95% of the thread is celebrating a great talent, rightfully so

The Matthews thread on the main board - 50% of the thread is dipshits trying to discredit him because of the Canadian division.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Auston Matthews likely feels the Toronto Maple Leafs were his ultimate destiny into the NHL... besides, already knowing he's headed for Legends Row, I would bet he's strolled through the Hockey Hall of Fame a few times thinking to himself, yeah... this town is where I'm going to make my mark on Hockey History.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He is so far ahead of everybody else it would be kind of awesome to see him endup with 112 for a 2.0 points per game avg. as long as he stops with the goals, lol.

He must've read your post before last nights game lol

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It won't and it would not make Matty either. Personal accomplishments are great but most of these guys would give their left onion for a Stanley Cup.

I'm a really big fan of great players and all time great seasons as opposed to just a die hard Leafs fan, but you're probably right that the joy of watching the Leafs hoist the cup would be greater.

Reactions: ToneDog

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
The McDavid thread on the main board - 95% of the thread is celebrating a great talent, rightfully so

The Matthews thread on the main board - 50% of the thread is dipshits trying to discredit him because of the Canadian division.
It's the typical hate towards anything Leafs. Spearheaded by the dummies here in Vancouver probably. I legit have more friends that think Petterson is better than Matthews than those who think the opposite. This city could not hate the Leafs more lol. Anything Toronto really lol

AbleFragrantLarva-size_restricted.gif

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Since Matthews entered the league:

Goals per game

1. Matthews .60 (49gl pace)
2. Ovechkin .57 (47)
3. Pastrnak .51 (42)
4. Kucherov .50 (41)
5. McDavid .49 (40)

Even Strength Goals Per Game

1. Matthews .46 (37gl pace)
2. McDavid .38 (31)
3. Ovechkin .37 (30)
4. Kucherov .36 (29)
5. Marchand .34 (28)

Power Play Goals per 60min (minimum 500min)

1. Stamkos 3.69
2. Pastrnak 3.51
3. Zibanejad 3.32
4. Matthews 3.27
5. Laine 3.09
(6. Ovechkin 2.95)

Matthews the only one on these lists whose rookie year is included. (Oh Laine too on that pp list).

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The jealousy for him is evidence of how good he is. I've noticed fans in Canada don't like him. Fans in the States love him. Fans in Edmonton....well you know.

Except for Boston and NYI. The rest of them seem to love him which is pretty cool.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
lol, they're STILL talking about him leaving for Arizona on the main board :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Because you know - with all the money Arizona is raking in nowadays - they'll totally have enough to bring Matthews in, right?!

Reactions: TopChedder

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If the NHL was a video game...

1. Press (~) to bring up the command console.
2. Type GOALSFOR34

Great now anytime Matthews gets the puck, it immediately goes into any visible part of the net.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I had to put that thread on ignore. It’s nothing but trolls and our favourite “coaching doesn’t matter” poster who’s seamlessly making his transition into the next TWS.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I had to put that thread on ignore. It’s nothing but trolls and our favourite “coaching doesn’t matter” poster who’s seamlessly making his transition into the next TWS.
Yeah poor Pookie. His opinions about Matthews and coaching around here aged like unrefrigerated milk.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad