Auston Matthews Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
They’re easily the weakest team to qualify for the playoffs. In non vivid divisions, they don’t sniff the playoffs. Hell, the jets and oilers possibly miss in pre covid divisions too.

The fact that this series even has the possibility of going 7 games says a lot more about us than it does about them tbh.

We've proven that we can lose series to teams that wouldn't have ordinarily qualified for the playoffs (CBJ).

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
As a fairly respected sports bettor, I can say I am in on this bet for a couple bills. I can also say, that their is some real positive indicators he will score. I have not bet him to score last 2 games. As the system I adhere to for my bets showed him a pass. Whereas next game, he has an activated Mars. Let's just say he's likely to score.

But as I always say, never bet more then what you're comfortable with. Be it $1 or 1k. Or any arbitrary #.

I'll be pretty heavy on leafs winning and Matthews scoring next game though as all indicators are pointing to.

Good luck boys
Indicators such as trends and algorithms? Those could be fine in the long run, playing the long game. As far as what we’re seeing on this ice in this isolated scenario in a playoff series on May of 2021, there aren’t much indicators at all.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why the f*** are people so worried about a piddly amount of habs fans in the stands on saturday? Its not gonna make one lick of difference... if anything just be happy we get to finish them in front of their fans

I think the fanbase’s anxiety is mirroring what they think the psychological makeup of the team is, which is usually a Princess and the Pea situation where every minor psychological discomfort can snowball into certain disaster.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Indicators such as trends and algorithms? Those could be fine in the long run, playing the long game. As far as what we’re seeing on this ice in this isolated scenario in a playoff series on May of 2021, there aren’t much indicators at all.

Right on. All I can say is I pay my bills with sports betting. People have been telling me my takes been terrible for a minute, yet I just keep producing quality results (This isnt to say i win every bet either, that's impossible) It's always you just got lucky though. I guess that's why I pay my bills thanks to sports and not having to work full time grinds like most society.

I will be surprised if Matthews doesn't score next game. At the very least he's gonna be a much more impactful player then tonight for sure.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
No issue with Matthews play. He could’ve buried more chances but the good news is he is supporting the dmen and stopping g down the cycle down low. This in turn allows Hyman and Marner to breakout cleanly with some odd man rushes.

Reactions: Papa Cherry

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Right on. All I can say is I pay my bills with sports betting. People have been telling me my takes been terrible for a minute, yet I just keep producing quality results (This isnt to say i win every bet either, that's impossible) It's always you just got lucky though. I guess that's why I pay my bills thanks to sports and not having to work full time grinds like most society.

I will be surprised if Matthews doesn't score next game. At the very least he's gonna be a much more impactful player then tonight for sure.
Got any 649 winning numbers?

Reactions: egd27

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

Fair enough. I’m still curious as to whether or not your seeing indicators pertaining to play on ice, and if so, what would they be?

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Got any 649 winning numbers?

I'm a sports bettor and poker player. I don't play slots or lotto. Ducy? Or shall i explain further?(not a smart ass comment, legit question)

Fair enough. I’m still curious as to whether or not your seeing indicators pertaining to play on ice, and if so, what would they be?

I don't put much stock in bad games. They happen. I'm not surprised he had a "bad" last couple games though. But it is what is.

Sorry my answers not great here, I know.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think a lot of people had Matthews pegged to erupt tonight actually.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
I was kidding.

You are in a tough business. Must be hard to stay disciplined.

I figured but still answered honestly. Discipline has been the reason I haven't reached bigger highs to be honest lol. It's tough somedays. Human condition and tilt is a real tough problem to solve haha

I think a lot of people had Matthews pegged to erupt tonight actually.

I would think so. I have a system I adhere to, and my system showed hard pass today. The opposite holds true for Saturday in MTL. Will see how she goes one way or another

Reactions: keonsbitterness

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

I used to have a coworker who made serious bank with a variation of a martingale betting system. Made some serious profits with it but he did get greedy with it at times and lost big with it.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews hasn't produced in the playoffs because he hasn't played at the exact same level as he did in the regular season. Many shifts I've seen him in his series he didn't give much of an effort on. The same can be said for the entire first line. Marner has been really bad in this series and his playoff woes continue year after year. They get paid the big bucks to get the job done. When Nylander has been better the first line combined, then you know something is wrong.

High pressure games and they aren't showing they can handle it when the games matter most. I'm seeing all kinds of excuses being given to Matthews. I don't buy it one single bit. When they play like ass, I'll call it out. I don't need to sugar coat it.

Reactions: LeafsRus

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Matthews has been playing well. He's more physical than ever, but that's not what he gets paid for. He gets paid to produce. While I understand small sample sizes, when it comes to the playoffs, there's no time for larger sample sizes. He needs to produce now. Simply playing well isn't good enough.

With how hot Nylander has been and how absolutely horrible Marner has been, I would put Matthews and Nylander together, at least for the first period, and see what happens. I'm sick and tired of watching Marner out there. Montreal has taken away his open ice and he can't adjust.

Hyman had a very strong game. Matthews played well but needs to produce points. Marner was pure crap.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
When Tavares got decapitated in game one, that was the chance for AM34 to show that this is his team and will it to victory. In game 2 he did that, but since then, not looking like he’s got it in him.

If the leafs are moving on, dude needs to pick up his game in a big way. This is his moment.

I said the same thing before Game 2.

Reppy

Dec 6, 2018
Any thoughts on whether Matthews might be injured? Someone mentioned it in the game thread in passing and I thought the same.

My memory is terrible but I remember in one of games 2 or 3, he looked like a man possessed, using his size and was all over the place, dominating the puck and carrying it.

Last night he looked like a shell of himself, almost refusing to handle the puck and passing off as soon as he could, then waiting for the puck to be fed to him in his usual spots.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
In fairness, although the goals have temporarily dried up, maybe due to the constant pounding and really tight checking attention Matthews is getting, he is contributing as a leader and winner should - finishing his checks hard, being nasty standing his ground against pests, excellent backchecking efforts, and generally carrying himself with pride as he figures out this Montreal team. I don't get any whiff of weakness or resignation in his game at all. To me, Auston has come of age as an elite NHL'er.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He needs to come through in a big way Saturday. It's nice that we have enough depth that we don't require him and Marner to score every game like Edmonton does with McDrai. It's the reason why we're up 3-2 and they're golfing, but we still need more production from what is at worst a top-five line in the league.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
He was super passive in game 5 and looked shell-shocked. He needs to start showing up.
getting taken down in the neutral zone and no calls can do that to you... when the skill players are allowed to be abused with no call, when not part of the play, they are at the mercy of the other team.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad