Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion "the Beauty" Edition

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When you compare and contrast the way Matthews scores with the way Draisaitl scores, you notice Matthews does so with a lot more finesse skill and spectacular shots, whereas Draisaitl scores a lot of random big man goals where he posts up and just flicks one in, or takes advantage of his reach. Once Matthews matures even more I think we'll see even more goals via just being more of a chaotic net front presence.

Reactions: Papa Cherry

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Shanahan with some high praise for Auston Matthews today. Singles him out as someone who can win a scoring title and be a Selke winner. And being singled out like that should be a nice extra bit for Matthews as we are seeing a clear separation between him and the rest of the Big 4.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Big been playing some big boy minutes recently. Nearly 26. Good thing we don’t play him on the penalty kill. Hope he gets to see the playoffs this year. Excited to see what he would do.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Matthews better stop making these blind passes to the middle in his own zone...he did that a bunch of games ago with his skate and it resulted in a goal...did the same blind pass again tonight resulting in the GWG for the Ducks. It's better just to leave the puck along boards and battle it out.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Matthews was off these last two games, but let’s not forget he’s carried this team offensively the last 2 months. Marner and Tavares have been a joke. Willy has been our 2nd best player all year.

Reactions: saffronleaf and kb

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
When you compare and contrast the way Matthews scores with the way Draisaitl scores, you notice Matthews does so with a lot more finesse skill and spectacular shots, whereas Draisaitl scores a lot of random big man goals where he posts up and just flicks one in, or takes advantage of his reach. Once Matthews matures even more I think we'll see even more goals via just being more of a chaotic net front presence.

This is very accurate IMO. The one thing that stands out to me about Draisaitl is his steadfastness and bullish approach around the net. He's big, strong and determined around the paint. Matthews is more fancy and explosive--but he loves to do his damage by shooting darts from about 20 feet out. That said, Matthews does have a very special skill set with the potential to be the best player in the NHL--I fully believe that.

Reactions: kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We have been blessed in TO to have seen the best 2 wrist shots in NHL in their eras - Wendel and Matty. Too fast and too hard. Goalies could not even react.

Reactions: ACC1224

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs forward Auston Matthews joined Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman on Thursday to discuss how he’s staying in game shape, what gets under teammate Frederik Andersen’s skin and his friendship with Justin Bieber.

In case you missed the chat live, check out the episode in its entirety below.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I can give Matthews a pass sometimes. He has done his job this season.
He did very good, people who shit on him don't know what teyr'e talking about or are jelaous, he has some of the most consistent goal scoring i've ever seen, plus the was he gets his goals are super nice, always liked him, he's not afraid to establish dominance and put fear in his enemys hearts with the way he carries himself, my fav NA forward by far.

Reactions: stickty111

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Watching The Last Dance, I hope Matthews truly does have that competitive drive thatll get him that Stanley Cup or 6.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
kinda bummed there might not be postseason this year, i was really looking forward to see what he can do in it

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

That's because Matthews is better.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad