Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion "the Beauty" Edition

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
The only thing he has to fix is those high risk moves he pulls in the d-zone. Other then that he's been far and away our best player this season.

Those kinds of plays will never go away with players like Matthews, McDavid, Crosby, OV, Dari, etc. it’s just part of the confidence they have in themselves.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
to me its clear that babcock held him back
we have a good coach now and our superstar is flying
he is one of our best players
and he found the next level
playin absolutely like a beast
awesome
im so glad we tanked for him

I feel like this next evolution for him has been stuff that Babcock wanted out of him, especially the idea that physicality and 200 foot game could actually add to his offensive strengths. But clearly they didn't have the best of working relationships.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
2 behind Pastrnak. Could be tough to catch him.

He was great all around in the last couple games, though.

Seems like this season he just keeps finding new gears we've never seen before.

2 goals for these kinds of star players isn't tough, I mean any of these guys (including Ovi) are capable of having multiple goal games. He is still 2 goals under Pasta but now 2 ahead of Ovi for the Rocket. He is also 9th overall in points (only 3 under Kucherov for 7th) where Ovi is 25th in points.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I wonder if Keefe would ever consider putting Matthews on for the full pp just like the Caps do for Ovi. He's a threat just standing there and would open up ice for the rest of the second unit.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I got a bit curious about something based on an earlier discussion. Now, I'm far from a proponent of looking primarily at points to judge players, but when I do I like to look at non-empty net primary points. The non-empty netters is pretty obvious, you are more than five times more likely to score on an empty net, which makes it very questionable to give it the same weight as a normal point. And then primary points because that's the better indicator of the player himself.

Here's how that would look for our Big Four:
PlayerRaw PointsPrimary PointsWithout Empty NetPacedDifferential
Auston Matthews7763590.89 0.28
Mitch Marner6446410.74 0.42
John Tavares5849460.78 0.2
William Nylander5747470.73 0.16
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think this lines up much better with my impressions this season, and I think it captures just the extent to which Matthews is our MVP this season. The offense he drives is just insane.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I got a bit curious about something based on an earlier discussion. Now, I'm far from a proponent of looking primarily at points to judge players, but when I do I like to look at non-empty net primary points. The non-empty netters is pretty obvious, you are more than five times more likely to score on an empty net, which makes it very questionable to give it the same weight as a normal point. And then primary points because that's the better indicator of the player himself.

Here's how that would look for our Big Four:
PlayerRaw PointsPrimary PointsWithout Empty NetPacedDifferential
Auston Matthews7763590.89 0.28
Mitch Marner6446410.74 0.42
John Tavares5849460.78 0.2
William Nylander5747470.73 0.16
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think this lines up much better with my impressions this season, and I think it captures just the extent to which Matthews is our MVP this season. The offense he drives is just insane.
Figured that it might be interesting to see how this looks under Keefe:

Matthews - 0.86
Marner - 0.76
Tavares - 0.78
Nylander - 0.83

You can really see the shift there. The other three are standing pat, but Nylander has jumped up to absolute elite level. And if you move past per game and use per 60 instead, you get:

PlayerFull Season Sheldon Era
Matthews2.582.42
Marner2.32*2.22*
Tavares2.42.38
Nylander2.442.75
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hello, Willy.

* This excludes his PK minutes, as that would have been unfair to him.

Edit:
As a point of reference, here's this process with Draisaitl.

Raw Points - 102
Primary - 76
Minus ENP - 70
Per Game - 1,08
Per 60 - 2,97

What an absolute point producing machine that boy is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad