Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion "the Beauty" Edition

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I bet Matthews would settle for 50 goals if it meant his team wins the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately, unless the script changes, or he gets injured, he's hitting 60-70 this season.

Unfortunately?

The peanut gallery is in full force on the main board now. They'll lose their collective minds even more if Matthews hits 60 or more this year.
Matthews will need 65+ to keep people from just claiming McDavid is the better goal scorer. Based on one season a good number of them already decided McDavid is ahead.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Unfortunately?

Matthews will need 65+ to keep people from just claiming McDavid is the better goal scorer. Based on one season a good number of them already decided McDavid is ahead.
I was responding to the post that said Ovi only scored 50 in their cup winning season despite scoring 6 goals in their first two games. If the script remained the same, then if Matthews scores 50 we win the Cup. If the script changes and Matthews scores 60-70, then we don't win the Cup, therefore "unfortunate". I bet Matthews takes the 50 for a Cup. Clearer? My post was obviously half in jest.

Reactions: kb and Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I was responding to the post that said Ovi only scored 50 in their cup winning season despite scoring 6 goals in their first two games. If the script remained the same, then if Matthews scores 50 we win the Cup. If the script changes and Matthews scores 60-70, then we don't win the Cup, therefore "unfortunate". I bet Matthews takes the 50 for a Cup. Clearer? My post was obviously half in jest.

Ah got it. Yes clearer. I saw the post you replied to but interpreted the second part of what you said wrong.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Another fun tidbit:
After starting with 6 goals in first 2 games, he needs 64 in last 80 to hit 70. Which would be a .800gpg rate. A number he has eclipsed in his MVP season (.822gpg) and was pretty close to in the Covid year as well (.788gpg)

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Another fun tidbit:
After starting with 6 goals in first 2 games, he needs 64 in last 80 to hit 70. Which would be a .800gpg rate. A number he has eclipsed in his MVP season (.822gpg) and was pretty close to in the Covid year as well (.788gpg)
He can definitely get there if our powerplay is truly elite this year.

And I gotta say, our powerplay does look very encouraging so far… I really like Mitch playing down low and Klingberg has done a great job so far getting Willy enough puck touches, something our powerplay has struggled with in the past.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The last time a player scored 70 was in 92-93, when both Mogilny and Selanne got 76

Fun fact: Selanne played 84 games that year

Fun fact #2: Hull scored 70 in 91-92 and a whopping 86 in 90-91

Reactions: bax and CabanaBoy5

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He can definitely get there if our powerplay is truly elite this year.

And I gotta say, our powerplay does look very encouraging so far… I really like Mitch playing down low and Klingberg has done a great job so far getting Willy enough puck touches, something our powerplay has struggled with in the past.

Actually crunching a few numbers now. If he scores the rest of the way at the same rate he scored in his MVP season, he can afford to miss 2 games and still hit 70

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When he's healthy there is no one in this league better than him at goal-scoring

I hope he can stay healthy, an official 50 in 50 is legitimately possible for him
I'm in the "who cares about individual accomplishments when the team keeps losing in the playoffs club" myself but I have to say, even I would get off on watching him chase 50 in 50.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm in the "who cares about individual accomplishments when the team keeps losing in the playoffs club" myself but I have to say, even I would get off on watching him chase 50 in 50.

I cannot understand this joyless viewpoint. They can’t do anything about the playoff record until the playoffs. 82 games is a long season if you’re just not going to care about any of the player accomplishments or how they are making their marks on the leafs and nhl record books.

50 in 38… why not?

I mean, he’s currently on pace for 114 in 38 so that’d be a huge let down. :P

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I cannot understand this joyless viewpoint. They can’t do anything about the playoff record until the playoffs. 82 games is a long season if you’re just not going to care about any of the player accomplishments or how they making their marks on the leafs and nhl record hooks
My POV is far from "joyless" - I've watched 2 games this season and I've enjoyed both of them. And I think it's great that Matthews has 2 hatties already but that enjoyment would be much less than it is had we lost both games because when the team wins, individual accomplishments are a nice cherry on top but when the team loses, it doesn't matter that much to me which individuals are in the record books because it's a team game after all.

Does that help? The team has millions of fans, we all have our own POV's and if you don't understand mine, that's fine too.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
My POV is far from "joyless" - I've watched 2 games this season and I've enjoyed both of them. And I think it's great that Matthews has 2 hatties already but that enjoyment would be much less than it is had we lost both games because when the team wins, individual accomplishments are a nice cherry on top but when the team loses, it doesn't matter that much to me which individuals are in the record books because it's a team game after all.

Does that help? The team has millions of fans, we all have our own POV's and if you don't understand mine, that's fine too.

Eh, fair enough I guess. I personally think it’s very strange not to care about the record books of a team you passionately follow. The tracking of individual records doesn’t take away from or work in opposition of the team aspect of it at all imo, but to each their own

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's getting carried away IMO. I mean I like the way you think, and no reason not to think big but 50 in 50 would be MASSIVE and is unlikely enough that I don't feel the need to hope for anything more than that. If I really wanted to hope for more I'd say 50 in 49, ;)

Yeah even to achieve 50 in 50, he needs to score 44 in the next 48 games, without missing any ideally because that compounds the challenge. 44/48 = .916gpg which would be aggressive.

Definitely not impossible, we’ve seen him do it (unofficially), but tall tall order

If he scored 50 in 50, his totals this year would be a virtual lock to be just filthy. Like mid 70s, maybe even more

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Eh, fair enough I guess. I personally think it’s very strange not to care about the record books of a team you passionately follow
It's not that I don't care at all, it's that I don't care all that much as long as the star players keep underperforming and the team keeps losing in the playoffs.

Yeah even to achieve 50 in 50, he needs to score 44 in the next 48 games, without missing any ideally because that compounds the challenge. 44/48 = .916gpg which would be aggressive.

Definitely not impossible, we’ve seen him do it (unofficially), but tall tall order

If he scored 50 in 50, his totals this year would be a virtual lock top he just filthy. Like mid 70s, maybe even more
Yeah 50 in 50 is a long shot, would be absolutely incredible if it actually happened. But in any case, the main thing is that Matthews looks healthy and in top form, let's hope he looks this good in the playoffs!

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015

Matty's gonna break every Leaf scoring record. Just looking at totals and games played, his numbers are ridiculous. Although Vaive's were pretty decent too actually.
1697415536977.png

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Another fun tidbit:

He played hurt for 12-15 games stretches of both seasons, also came back from off season wrist surgery and got off to a slow start in his 60 goal season. If he could manage to be as healthy as he was in his rookie year I would put money on him scoring at a .9gpg rate the rest of the way with this stacked offense he's now playing with, possibly even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad