Tribute Auston Matthews Discussion "the Beauty" Edition

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Continue here
I don't want others coming here and complaining Leafs fan think Matthews is better then the other player. This is to discuss the player positively and negatively.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You didn’t have anything Matthews to say but you opened this up to continue. Any particular reason their bro or you miss the sh!tshow. Ha Matthews is better than others

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You didn’t have anything Matthews to say but you opened this up to continue. Any particular reason their bro or you miss the sh!tshow. Ha
I thought another thread would be okay to discuss the player. It's why I put up a little warning to only discuss Matthews.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was great on Tuesday, hopefully his pulse made the trip to NY with him.

Reactions: mclaren55

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I thought another thread would be okay to discuss the player. It's why I put up a little warning to only discuss Matthews.

oh ok. I’ll start it for you:).

Matthews is the best scoring center in the league, not over paid, great defensively, never takes a shift off unless he is and any player that is currently on a hot streak in the future or has less talent on their team should be considered better value and better skilled than him regardless of small sample size. All hot takes should be given weight in the conversation just because and McDavid is better just because thats the way it is, just go along with it ok.

Big game tonight. He will likely show up again.

edit: Matthews is the reason our rebuild progressed so fast. Playoffs every year since his draft. He makes you a winner having him apparently. Still developing kid right now. Wow we are lucky to have him

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
1*8g1CteQIpk4tPh9n_AlyoQ.png

This was from last February so the stats are outdated but if anyone cares to update this to current day I doubt Auston drops much.

For the vision-impaired, Matthews has the highest goals per 60 minutes of any player in the league when usage by strength is adjusted for and empty net goals are removed. Would anyone argue Ovechkin is not one of the top wingers in the game? Okay, then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Love how he says "no argument can be made that he is." That won't stop me:

This was from last February so the stats are outdated but if anyone cares to update this to current day I doubt Auston drops much.

For the vision-impaired, Matthews has the highest goals per 60 minutes of any player in the league when usage by strength is adjusted for and empty net goals are removed. Would anyone argue Ovechkin is not one of the top wingers in the game? Okay, then.

That's also with the worst linemates on that list by far, other than Crosby/Malkin. Every other one of those guys has at least one linemate who's equal to them or close to it.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Love how he says "no argument can be made that he is." That won't stop me:

Not that Matthews doesn't have a lot of room to grow defensively, but he's probably middle of that pack defensively too. For him I think it's more commitment than lack of skill, because he's shown he can be a quality defensive player more often than not. Some of these guys are lazy and just bad defensively.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
That Athletic article where he talks about working on his one timer and that it's something he still thinks he can add to his game was exciting.

Imagine this guy learns how to consistently rip one timers from the top of the circle on the PP?

If Auston Matthews somehow manages to become an even more dangerous goal scorer, is there even a need for playoffs anymore? :laugh:

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
"laine is a better player". In what f***ing world, is laine better player than matthews...?

the guy is the second fastest player to hit 100 even strength goals in nhl ( current players) and yet hes nothing according to some haters.

lol

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
That Athletic article where he talks about working on his one timer and that it's something he still thinks he can add to his game was exciting.

Imagine this guy learns how to consistently rip one timers from the top of the circle on the PP?

He had that perfect one against Ottawa in the first game I believe and since then he hasn't had much luck with them but he's been dangerous still.

Gotta keep him on that right side.

Off topic:
We should try Engvall - Matthews - Mikheyev/Nylander

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I think he wants a strong cycle player, something the Leafs sort of lack outside of JT. But, to point out to Matthews, if he wants a strong cycle, he needs to use his body more along the boards to win battles, they aren't going to win themselves. Guys like Nylander and Marner are strong on the cycle when they have the puck, and can position themselves well, but they aren't going to dominate on 50/50 battles. Matthews sort of needs to lead his line by example. I felt he was way more competitive along the boards in his rookie season. Yes, he's a better player now, but he's left a decent amount lacking. He now focuses more on shooting from distance and getting in good shooting spots. JT has much more commitment to constantly winning battles. I feel he needs to take a page out of guys like JT and Barkov's book. He absolutely has the strength and skill to do it. I feel the shoulder injury and maybe growing tired of Babs played a part in it. But, he needs to show that again on a consistent basis. The shift to shift want to, which I never felt was lacking in year one is what's holding him back from going very elite player to clear top 5 player.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think he wants a strong cycle player, something the Leafs sort of lack outside of JT. But, to point out to Matthews, if he wants a strong cycle, he needs to use his body more along the boards to win battles, they aren't going to win themselves. Guys like Nylander and Marner are strong on the cycle when they have the puck, and can position themselves well, but they aren't going to dominate on 50/50 battles. Matthews sort of needs to lead his line by example. I felt he was way more competitive along the boards in his rookie season. Yes, he's a better player now, but he's left a decent amount lacking. He now focuses more on shooting from distance and getting in good shooting spots. JT has much more commitment to constantly winning battles. I feel he needs to take a page out of guys like JT and Barkov's book. He absolutely has the strength and skill to do it. I feel the shoulder injury and maybe growing tired of Babs played a part in it. But, he needs to show that again on a consistent basis. The shift to shift want to, which I never felt was lacking in year one is what's holding him back from going very elite player to clear top 5 player.

Agreed 100%

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

He has a fantastic slapshot that he rarely uses. Only seen glimpses of it.

Reactions: weems

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
11 points in 13 games under keefe. Works out to 69 points over 82 games. Fairly certain I saw that keefe has been playing Auston the 6th most out of all forwards (league wide) at even strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad