News Article: Auston Matthews - August 1st., Contract Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Matthews is 8th in PPG over the last 5 years. How are any of you defending the perspective that he should be just behind McDavid in CH%? It makes zero sense. Nate MacKinnon who many have said is not better than Matthews is 4th in that ranking, and has a cup. I'm genuinely curious here, explain NotBias and Dekes.

Stats were pulled from Quant Hockey.
Many have said that? MacKinnon is the 2nd best player right now, no one would dispute that.

Reactions: mclaren55

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
But the Kyle-AM relationship, from AM’s perspective, was great, by all accounts. So that’s gone, whatever preliminary discussions that might have happened are out the window, gotta start over, probably takes a little longer.

That said, nothing concerning about not having an extension done yet, still perfectly normal. Training camp opening moves that dial a bit.
An abusive relationship can seem to be great on the surface, but what about the effect on the children? :sarcasm:

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Many have said that? MacKinnon is the 2nd best player right now, no one would dispute that.
Check post #6199.

"It's irrelevant cause playoffs don't matter all that much, but based on individual stats/hardware (which seems to be much more relevant), Matthews is arguably #2 and for sure ahead of MacKinnon who is his closest comparable."

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Check post #6199.

"It's irrelevant cause playoffs don't matter all that much, but based on individual stats/hardware (which seems to be much more relevant), Matthews is arguably #2 and for sure ahead of MacKinnon who is his closest comparable."
There are always a couple. :laugh:
I don't need to check the post, it's always one of two.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Matthews is 8th in PPG over the last 5 years. How are any of you defending the perspective that he should be just behind McDavid in CH%?
Because a lot more goes into contract valuation than exclusively PPG ranking over the past 5 year timeframe (which, for the record, stretches back to Matthews' ELC when he was 21).

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
There are always a couple. :laugh:
I don't need to check the post, it's always one of two.

1692809081790.png

Yup, #2

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I rarely have a problem distinguishing opinion from reporting.

Determining the accuracy of the attributed sources is the challenge.
So Bill Berg as an insider says AM has agreed to a framework for a 4 yr 52m contract. Real, imagined or opinion?
Any Leaf fan could come up with that.
Are we heading to British reporting standards where one writer in a drunken state says something and another reports that.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So Bill Berg as an insider says AM has agreed to a framework for a 4 yr 52m contract. Real, imagined or opinion?
Any Leaf fan could come up with that.
Are we heading to British reporting standards where one writer in a drunken state says something and another reports that.
is there any attribution?

British? this exactly what the US MSM does.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Because a lot more goes into contract valuation than exclusively PPG ranking over the past 5 year timeframe (which, for the record, stretches back to Matthews' ELC when he was 21).
I agree, and the only things people have given examples of here are PPG, hardware (awards), and position. Hence why I'm asking what metrics you view Matthews to excel in above and beyond what players in that same PPG ranking have. I'm not being obtuse, just generally curious what makes you think he is worth significantly more cap% wise than Mackinnon (close comparable, with arguably more important awards)?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I am assuming our current GM is an absolute moron then? He just paid 5.5 million for a player coming off 30 points who is bad defensively.

Don't bring up playoffs, he was tied for 36th in scoring.

Do you agree?

For the record, I do not agree with it being a dumb stat, I think it is a good way to predict the future.

By the way, remember when everyone thought McDavid was going to be a bust because he only put up 46 points in his first season?
I’m not a big Treliving fan but here we are

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would like to know what is a sufficient number of games played in a season to make ”on pace for“ a relevant stat.
I would say like 50 or so games but it also depends when in the season, most years the scoring starts off higher and then teams start tightening up before the playoffs resulting in lower scoring

I agree, and the only things people have given examples of here are PPG, hardware (awards), and position. Hence why I'm asking what metrics you view Matthews to excel in above and beyond what players in that same PPG ranking have. I'm not being obtuse, just generally curious what makes you think he is worth significantly more cap% wise than Mackinnon (close comparable, with arguably more important awards)?
The only possible reasoning is internal cap structure. JT was paid 11 million and Matthews is a far better player so you take 11 million and add a couple on you get to the 13+ Matthews evidently wants.

If he wants a 3 or 4 year deal I would probably look at trading him. Can't have a guy like that who is trying to milk your for every dollar and still win. It sets a precedence and effects team culture

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Cool. This place will be on fire as soon as we get numbers lol..

Let’s go Bobby Mac, get it first just to show the rest of the insiders one last time.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The only possible reasoning is internal cap structure. JT was paid 11 million and Matthews is a far better player so you take 11 million and add a couple on you get to the 13+ Matthews evidently wants.

If he wants a 3 or 4 year deal I would probably look at trading him. Can't have a guy like that who is trying to milk your for every dollar and still win. It sets a precedence and effects team culture
It's because it's rare for super star players to test free agency. JT was a ppg player. He tested free agency and the Sharks gm admitted he offered him 13 mil. If JT was able to get 13 mil in 2018, what do you think Mac would have gotten if he tested the open market in 2021? We all agree he's a MASSIVE tier above JT, right?

The thing is, most super star players don't do that. Even JT took 14 mil less than what he was offered. They get to ufa, are already SUPER rich one percenters, and take a great deal that works for both the player and the team. That's what almost every other star player does. You really think if Pastrnak tested the open market, no team would offer him more than 11 mil?

Time will tell, but what Matthews seems to be doing is maximizing every single solitary last penny he can make from the team. There's no even hint of "I'm already a super rich one percenter... let's make a deal that's good for me and the club." No. It's every single solitary last penny. He's pretty much saying "This is how much I'd make if I tested the open market, so this is how much you'll have to pay me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad