News Article: Auston Matthews - August 1st., Contract Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Both Willy and Matty are walking to free agency next summer. Leafs missed the opportunity to trade both this summer before their trade clauses kicked in. Here comes another long term rebuild.
Oh well. As long as we get the next one right.
I just want a Leafs team that can win the cup.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
4 more years, and he claims he loves being a Leafs.
Only in Toronto where some will cheer it is a great deal

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
4 x 13.25m is like literally best case scenario. That was less than i was expecting and fair for both sides.

All of Matthews prime will be as a Leaf. There is always some risk signing an 8 year deal for any player. I’ll take his full prime and we can go from there.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
13.4mil is not good at all esp since this is a 4 yrs deal.
Don’t understand why can’t players just sign 8 yrs deal with their current market value while proclaiming they want to be here play for the Leafs….

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's definitely a contract you can live with, but he certainly did the Leafs no favours this time around either. He could have taken a little bit less or committed for a little bit longed to make it easier to build a winning team around him, but it is what it is. It was better than losing him for nothing, and the Leafs should remain a competitive team for the next 5 years

Reactions: kevsh

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Bad news is it's not 8 years. Good news is with his injury/wrist issues maybe 4 years isn't the worst idea and we can get his next 4 year deal even cheaper, but I doubt that since the cap will be up by a lot at the end of this deal.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I would say like 50 or so games but it also depends when in the season, most years the scoring starts off higher and then teams start tightening up before the playoffs resulting in lower scoring

The only possible reasoning is internal cap structure. JT was paid 11 million and Matthews is a far better player so you take 11 million and add a couple on you get to the 13+ Matthews evidently wants.

If he wants a 3 or 4 year deal I would probably look at trading him. Can't have a guy like that who is trying to milk your for every dollar and still win. It sets a precedence and effects team culture
The number of games is an arbitrary number that would vary from person to person thus rendering it basically meaningless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille