News Article: Auston Matthews - August 1st., Contract Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Ok, I'm back, Crown worked, have stopped rocking back and forth in fetal position in corner of basement.

You wonder if this would be done by now if Dubas had stuck right? Probably, right? A complete reset of the situation probably goes a long way in slowing down the process.

No no, easy there, I am not suggesting should have kept Kyle to make re-signing AM easier. Just that building a new relationship and the parameters of it takes longer then an existing relationship.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The Leafs were up 4-1 vs Boston with 12 minutes left in the 3rd period.

They were ON PACE to win that game.

So naturally, the Leafs should have protested after the game that they never really lost it, and that they were ON PACE to win it, so they should have been awarded the win

"on pace" lol

This 'statistic' absolutely takes the cake. Never heard of it until now.. I don't think I've ever heard of anything more ridiculous than this
Lol. I agree. On pace is a nonsense stat that is used by agents and plays as a substitute
for “did not achieve “

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

So naturally, the Leafs should have protested after the game that they never really lost it, and that they were ON PACE to win it, so they should have been awarded the win

"on pace" lol

This 'statistic' absolutely takes the cake. Never heard of it until now.. I don't think I've ever heard of anything more ridiculous than this
Lol. I agree. On pace is a nonsense stat that is used by agents and plays as a substitute
for “did not achieve “

I am assuming our current GM is an absolute moron then? He just paid 5.5 million for a player coming off 30 points who is bad defensively.

Don't bring up playoffs, he was tied for 36th in scoring.

Do you agree?

For the record, I do not agree with it being a dumb stat, I think it is a good way to predict the future.

By the way, remember when everyone thought McDavid was going to be a bust because he only put up 46 points in his first season?

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Just curious. Are you saying matthews doesn’t have multiple 90 point seasons?
Objectively no, he doesn't. He paced for one in a covid shortened season, but he statistically only has 1 90+ point season.

I find the "Pace" arguments slightly ridiculous. Injuries happen, cold streaks happen, etc. Great thing about forums is we get to discuss these differences of opinion, typically with others who genuinely want to discuss.

I understand the pace viewpoint, but it means very little to me.

Reactions: myleafs and geo25

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Bertuzzi was a 30 pt player last year and people are excited.

Silly argument.
Silly is comparing Bertuzzi to Matthews.
They don't. Everything is relevant in discussions, there are no rules.
How would you know? Ever take part? Is there a guidebook or "Standard" they adhere to? Pure speculation. Or else, give us uninformed members some of your insight....

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
A number of the 10,234 writers, bloggers or talking heads reported some Leafs were in town working out and skating together pre training camp...if you are in TO, that is easy to find out. A 12 yesr old on a bike can do that. Absent were Marner, still on his honeymoon travels (maybe but speculation) with his sweety, AND Austin M who is skating in Arizona.
Now, I have no issue with this, and Austin can skate, prepare during the off season where ever he wants. What I do have an issue with is the reporter/blogger who says this. These guys cannot say if he had injuries last year with back, legs or wrist. They cannot say if he had treatment or surgery to fix the wrist all which would be actual information and important to his contract and to the Leafs for this season. They do zero investigative reporting. BUT, they sell us the idea he is skating in Arizona. Did they see him, did they talk to him, did they talk to his agent and if so they didn't think to ask about health or contract.
I could say Austin is not skating, and driving a dune bugging the dessert and be just as accurate.
Toronto sports reporters and their employers are useless and NEVER specify the difference between fact and speculations.
My rant for today! Thanks for indulging!

Reactions: geo25

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
None whatsoever.

I’m not getting into a long winded pointless debate with you.
At least it’s a 1 yr contract.

If he can play 60 games and score somewhere around 20 goals, and not be too much of a defensive liability, it should fit.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A number of the 10,234 writers, bloggers or talking heads reported some Leafs were in town working out and skating together pre training camp...if you are in TO, that is easy to find out. A 12 yesr old on a bike can do that. Absent were Marner, still on his honeymoon travels (maybe but speculation) with his sweety, AND Austin M who is skating in Arizona.
Now, I have no issue with this, and Austin can skate, prepare during the off season where ever he wants. What I do have an issue with is the reporter/blogger who says this. These guys cannot say if he had injuries last year with back, legs or wrist. They cannot say if he had treatment or surgery to fix the wrist all which would be actual information and important to his contract and to the Leafs for this season. They do zero investigative reporting. BUT, they sell us the idea he is skating in Arizona. Did they see him, did they talk to him, did they talk to his agent and if so they didn't think to ask about health or contract.
I could say Austin is not skating, and driving a dune bugging the dessert and be just as accurate.
Toronto sports reporters and their employers are useless and NEVER specify the difference between fact and speculations.
Usually there’s some attribution when reporting

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Objectively no, he doesn't. He paced for one in a covid shortened season, but he statistically only has 1 90+ point season.

I find the "Pace" arguments slightly ridiculous. Injuries happen, cold streaks happen, etc. Great thing about forums is we get to discuss these differences of opinion, typically with others who genuinely want to discuss.

I understand what you’re saying. My only issue with what you’re saying is that when you look at just the total there is no context to it. Injuries are definitely part of the game that’s why I add context to it.

Me personally I don’t just look at said players overall total for the season. I look at PPG and GPG. I’ve never been into the analytics part of the game so those are the basics for me.

Just my opinion

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023

"on pace" lol

People keep inventing and fabricating new statistics and metrics to compensate for their unfortunate opinions. Sports fans like these are the equivalent of corporate bean counters: obsessed with their numbers and always using them as an excuse to justify poor management and decision making. The disconnect between the numbers and actual reality is something that escapes them.

"Player X has ABC#v#/60!!! Therfore their contract should be an AAV of CH%/Pi×2² for 5 years (factoring in leap years)!"

Everyone else just watches the games and wants Player X off the team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Silly is comparing Bertuzzi to Matthews.

How would you know? Ever take part? Is there a guidebook or "Standard" they adhere to? Pure speculation. Or else, give us uninformed members some of your insight....
It’s common sense. I can’t help anyone with that, either you have it or you don’t.

Reactions: andora

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I never thought I'd see the day that points per game of all things was called a "fabricated new statistic" that was "never heard of" before.

:biglaugh:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I thought we agreed we'd never speak of that here.

Now I have to drink whiskey.
Wait, we are supposed to need a reason to drink whiskey?

But the media in Toronto is so tough. I'm sure somebody is secretly following Matty as we speak.

Truth is our media are just a bunch of pansies who seldom like to rock the boat.
Yup. Leaf press ain't shit compared to Euro soccer press, but our players and fans still complain about it.

Reactions: Metroid and ToneDog

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

I think in the covid shortened seasons it's fair to look at point pace.

Imagine a young player who had 2 of their 3 elc years during the shortened covid seasons. Would they be paid on their raw production? Or their pace? Seems pretty unfair to pay them based on raw production....

Reactions: mclaren55

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ok, I'm back, Crown worked, have stopped rocking back and forth in fetal position in corner of basement.

You wonder if this would be done by now if Dubas had stuck right? Probably, right? A complete reset of the situation probably goes a long way in slowing down the process.

No no, easy there, I am not suggesting should have kept Kyle to make re-signing AM easier. Just that building a new relationship and the parameters of it takes longer then an existing relationship.
If the existing relationship was a bad one, the sooner you end it the better.

Wasn't Matthews on a pace for 328 goals a season at one time?

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
But the media in Toronto is so tough. I'm sure somebody is secretly following Matty as we speak.

Truth is our media are just a bunch of pansies who seldom like to rock the boat.
They’re more annoying than anything else.

Reactions: ToneDog

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
The sooner we jettison this rotten core the better...

• Love
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You would hope that there is always some knowledge, and if it speculation then that should be stated clearly.
I rarely have a problem distinguishing opinion from reporting.

Determining the accuracy of the attributed sources is the challenge.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

"on pace" lol

You've never heard of pace before?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
If the existing relationship was a bad one, the sooner you end it the better.
But the Kyle-AM relationship, from AM’s perspective, was great, by all accounts. So that’s gone, whatever preliminary discussions that might have happened are out the window, gotta start over, probably takes a little longer.

That said, nothing concerning about not having an extension done yet, still perfectly normal. Training camp opening moves that dial a bit.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Matthews is 8th in PPG over the last 5 years. How are any of you defending the perspective that he should be just behind McDavid in CH%? It makes zero sense. Nate MacKinnon who many have said is not better than Matthews is 4th in that ranking, and has a cup. I'm genuinely curious here, explain NotBias and Dekes.

Stats were pulled from Quant Hockey.

Reactions: PromisedLand
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA