News Article: Auston Matthews - August 1st., Contract Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

Matthews wants extension with Maple Leafs before next season

By Kyle Cushman

Auston Matthews doesn't plan on leaving the Toronto Maple Leafs.
"My intention is to be (in Toronto)," Matthews said Monday during the team's end-of-season availability, according to the Toronto Sun's Terry Koshan.
"I think I've reciprocated that before, how much I enjoy playing here and what it means to me, the organization, my teammates. … The work that we're putting in to continue to strive for that end result is extremely motivating."

Matthews said signing an extension before next season is "important" and that a potential deal "will work itself out in due time."
He signed a five-year contract with a cap hit of just over $11.6 million in February 2019. That deal is set to expire after next season, which would make Matthews an unrestricted free agent.
Colorado Avalanche star Nathan MacKinnon signed an eight-year contract extension in September that will give him the league's highest cap hit in the fall at $12.6 million.
After scoring key goals in the first round against the Tampa Bay Lightning, Matthews was unable to find the back of the net in Toronto's five-game series loss versus the Florida Panthers. He finished the postseason with five goals and 11 points after tallying 40 goals and 85 points in the regular season.
The 25-year-old said he was dealing with bumps and bruises throughout the 2022-23 campaign but noted it's his "job to push through that," per The Hockey News' David Alter.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Mackinnon won a cup. McDavid is the greatest player of this generation. Matthews does not deserve to make more than either of them.

I get that the cap increases, and they go by % as well, but if Matthews is serious he needs to leave some on the table and not handcuff us moving forward.

11.5-13 max is what it should be. He didn't score another 60 and scored nothing in the 2nd round, he cannot ask for the moon here.

He needs to be like Rielly, if he truly loves his teammates, well leave some on the table for them to also re-sign at a small discount and when Tavares comes up we use that extra 7-8 million from signing him back at 3-4 to add another difference maker on the back end.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Would we be ok with the same deal as MacKinnon? Basically takes him through his whole prime. Maybe Matthews doesn't go for that and wants another 5 year deal to cash in again at the end.

Interesting offseason ahead.
Its acceptable, but not ideal. Basically anything under $13M/yr is something you accept and the lower it goes the better the deal is.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You have to get him to take less. MacKinnon deal or lower. If he truly wants to be here and win he cannot eat that much of the cap.

What I will say is, I believe more than ever that the core wants to stay here. Even mitch’s comments a few days ago about the core all has years left and they want to stay. I truly believe they want to, but I’m not sure I believe it’s the best thing for long term success.

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
Mackinnon won a cup. McDavid is the greatest player of this generation. Matthews does not deserve to make more than either of them.

I get that the cap increases, and they go by % as well, but if Matthews is serious he needs to leave some on the table and not handcuff us moving forward.

11.5-13 max is what it should be. He didn't score another 60 and scored nothing in the 2nd round, he cannot ask for the moon here.

He needs to be like Rielly, if he truly loves his teammates, well leave some on the table for them to also re-sign at a small discount and when Tavares comes up we use that extra 7-8 million from signing him back at 3-4 to add another difference maker on the back end.
I want none of the Tavares shit in this town ever again.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
IF he truly cares about the Leafs AND wiining a Stanley Cup, he needs to not ask for the moon and accept that some money is to be left on the table.
We´ll see if it happens or if it´s just empty words for the press.
I hope i´m wrong but i´m not seeing AM taking a discount in order to better the team and maximize our chances of winning a cup.

Last edited:

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
IF he truly cares about the Leafs AND wiining a Stanley Cup, he needs to not ask for the moon and accept that some money is to be left on the table.
We´ll see if it happens or if it´s just empty words for the press.
It's obviously empty words lol.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Eliot Friedman just reported he believes Matthews wants to sign at a medium term at highest cap hit in the league.
I just saw that, if that’s the case I’ll be disgusted. 5 years 14 million would be a travesty. It would be worse than 8 years 14 million. It would be worse than the contract he signed now

He hasn’t warranted earning more than Mack or McD. He should come in at around his same caphit at 8 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino