Dreger: "Auston Matthews 100% is not going anywhere."

Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
What team would he play for if at $15 mil?
A team like Florida, Dallas, Nashville, Seattle or Tampa?
Is he getting majority of money in signing bonuses or salary?

Toronto will likely pay most of it in signing bonus, they already pay half of their caps worth ($41.5 mil) to players in signing bonus money. That is the Leafs single biggest advantage/incentive for keeping players in Toronto.
That. And they’re a good team. In the biggest market. That was the childhood favourite team of almost all Ontario born kids. Also provides endorsements and a platform to expand your brand. How many players have signed a 1-3 year ‘prove it’ type deals in Toronto and cashed in elsewhere?

....and still nobody wants to play in Canada! LOL!
Bit ironic to say in the thread of an American who wants to play in Canada don’t you think?

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Sanderson is our future #1 defenceman with a lot of career ahead of him.

I think Tkachuk is awesome but I can’t see us giving up that kind of asset with that much control left.

I think there’s a lot of wishful thinking in terms of getting the brothers together.

Anyway, I don’t recall hearing any rumours to that effect on our side. Could be wrong.
At the time Sanderson was only a prospect. Your #1 would have been Chabot.

To say you wouldn’t give up Sanderson and Pinto for Tkachuk is just absurd. Every GM makes that deal.

It wasn’t taken as it was purely futures as neither player was really proven.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'm totally fine being called out when wrong, not sure im wrong in this thread though.
You and a small group clearly attacked some of my opinions (FLA > TOR) just a year ago and that's why you were called out.
It is what it is.
You’re the montreal fan of lay off season bud. You think your team wasn’t propped up by a sick goaltending performance, timely goals and bounces. Better than Montreal was a couple years ago, but not many would consider it likely for them to get to the conference finals again. Unless you’re an unabashed homer of course.

Reactions: WaW

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
At the time Sanderson was only a prospect. Your #1 would have been Chabot.

To say you wouldn’t give up Sanderson and Pinto for Tkachuk is just absurd. Every GM makes that deal.

It wasn’t taken as it was purely futures as neither player was really proven.

So they just imagined up the players and the team based on the fact that it was a deal involving "futures"?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You’re the montreal fan of lay off season bud. You think your team wasn’t propped up by a sick goaltending performance, timely goals and bounces.
Better than Montreal was a couple years ago, but not many would consider it likely for them to get to the conference finals again. Unless you’re an unabashed homer of course.

@Rob Brown, see this is another one of the group that usually singles me out.
He's lashing out now because they know they were wrong as well.
It's all good, let it out, not good to bottle up the pain or disappointment of your opinions about your team and players.

Create a thread if you want to further discuss Panthers and Leafs.

I'm still thinking 5 yrs X $13.34 million for AM34

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I wonder how countries rank in safety if you only consider those who live in high-end suburbs and go to private schools.
I don’t think it’s a wild guess that America still ranks outside top 50 considering all their guns and other social and political issues if you only count that…..which would be very weird considering pretty much anyone can get gunned down at a shopping mall, schools, kindergarten etc in the US it seems

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
8x$13M = $104M
7x$15M = $105M

Tax probably doesn't matter, since Matthews probably has his primary residence in Arizona.

Probably his biggest endorsements come from league-level major superstar stuff as opposed to local ads. I doubt there is going to be much difference in that wherever he goes. The little local stuff isn't enough to shift anything.

So in the end, it should just come down to... where does he WANT to play?

If I was him, I'd just play out my contract next season and let the offers roll in on July 1st, 2024 (with a shiny new $90M+ Cap). Including Toronto's offer. But why not collect all the options and see? :dunno:

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope he stays on the Leafs, he helps them choke in the playoffs. This is better for everyone.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Homesick

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
8x$13M = $104M
7x$15M = $105M

Tax probably doesn't matter, since Matthews probably has his primary residence in Arizona.

Probably his biggest endorsements come from league-level major superstar stuff as opposed to local ads. I doubt there is going to be much difference in that wherever he goes. The little local stuff isn't enough to shift anything.

So in the end, it should just come down to... where does he WANT to play?

If I was him, I'd just play out my contract next season and let the offers roll in on July 1st, 2024 (with a shiny new $90M+ Cap). Including Toronto's offer. But why not collect all the options and see? :dunno:
Im pretty sure player taxes are paid on his NHL salary where he is playing(day to day, state to state etc) obviously the majority is from where their team is based out of. Not sure about endorsements, I would imagine where he primarily resides.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Im pretty sure player taxes are paid on his NHL salary where he is playing(day to day, state to state etc) obviously the majority is from where their team is based out of. Not sure about endorsements, I would imagine where he primarily resides.

The signing bonuses have shenanigans though based on place of residence. And Matthews contract will be max signing bonuses

Reactions: Breakers

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
@Rob Brown, see this is another one of the group that usually singles me out.
He's lashing out now because they know they were wrong as well.
It's all good, let it out, not good to bottle up the pain or disappointment of your opinions about your team and players.

Create a thread if you want to further discuss Panthers and Leafs.

I'm still thinking 5 yrs X $13.34 million for AM34
I still have no clue which posts of mine from 2 years ago you're referring to but it sounds to me like you take names and hold grudges. It's funny you tell people not to 'bottle it up' while you constantly reference people's posts from years ago that you didn't like.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Oh for sure, 41 game days in Toronto at 10% higher tax is still something. It's like 11% of the year at a 10% higher tax rate, which is still a 1% difference overall, which is still $1M out of $100M. So it's not nothing. But it's probably not enough to be a major driver? :dunno:

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
that would be fun to watch
Ottawa would be pushing for deep playoff runs for the next 4-8 years. I also think the brothers would have loved playing together as the entire family is close.
So they just imagined up the players and the team based on the fact that it was a deal involving "futures"?
The Ottawa Deal was Sanderson Pinto and a 2nd round pick.

A deal from Carolina offered almost all draft capital.

The deals were all discussed by Flames insiders. People who are invited to their alumni dinners heard a lot more.

The Florida trade was not welcomed by any of the box owners I know off that attend their alumni dinners.

Everyone was pissed as the St Louis deal was clearly the best offer.

The problem was the St Louis deal the second rumoured piece was Tarasenko and the flames management team wanted no part of that.

ST LOUIS was Tarasenko plus one of Kyrou or Thomas for Tkachuk with either a 3rd round pick or C type prospect.

The flame’s specifically wanted 1-2 players, a decent prospect and a reasonably pick.

Everyone at the time said Tkachuk didn’t have this value. Flames fans said all along the only players in the league with more value were possibly McDavid Mackinnon and even Matthews value is likely even with Tkachuk.

People seem to forget. 24 year old Tkachuk on a fresh and reasonable 8 year contract.

100 point players like Tkachuk don’t grow on trees.

Treliving rushed the return.

The alumni dinner a lot of the flames supporters were even asking why the flames did not offer Tkachuk 12+ million as well as the Captaincy.

Tkachuk was pissed that Treliving wouldn’t discuss the 8 year deal when he signed the previous contract. Treliving is always concerned about shaving 0.25 to 1.00m off a contracts AAV. All it does is piss off your premium players.

Tkachuk should have been a flames for life.

Fact is we will see flames fans no longer wanting them drafting US kids as a result.

Im sticking with $52 million over 4 years (13X4)
pure signing bonuses with 775K in salary

re-enters for the final 8 year mammoth
13x4… keep wishing.

Try average 15 x 8 if not 16 x 8 if Treliving wants to keep him.

Chicago will give him that same contract.

McDavid could literally ask for a blank check and every team in the league would comply and Matthews quite frankly is close.

You think he played in Europe in his draft year for no reason? It’s all about $$$.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Oh for sure, 41 game days in Toronto at 10% higher tax is still something. It's like 11% of the year at a 10% higher tax rate, which is still a 1% difference overall, which is still $1M out of $100M. So it's not nothing. But it's probably not enough to be a major driver? :dunno:

Players playing in Canada benefit immensely from an investment vehicle called a Retirement Compensation Arrangement, which largely evens the playing field vs low US income tax rates.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
13x4… keep wishing.

Try average 15 x 8 if not 16 x 8 if Treliving wants to keep him.

Chicago will give him that same contract.

McDavid could literally ask for a blank check and every team in the league would comply and Matthews quite frankly is close.

You think he played in Europe in his draft year for no reason? It’s all about $$$.

LOLOL
a 27% jump in salary from the last highest contract

you're clueless

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If Dreger says 100%, I believe it.

This guy often serves up so many nothing burgers, and is never this dinfitive, so he really must be positive about this.

I never really heard Matthews wanted to leave from any credible source. I think it just became a cult like meme around here due to the consistent playoff failures.

And when you look at it money wise, I remember reading a good article about how Matthews contract in Canada is basically taxed at the same rate as if he played in the US.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'll say 13.5×3, including this coming season he gets his last big long term extension going into his 30's.
This coming season, 2023-24, is the last year of his current deal. It cannot be replaced by a new deal. Any new deal has to start in 24-25.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Every reporter reporting on Matthews: “he’s going nowhere!”.

Everyone on Reddit and HF: “but where is he going!?”.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Should be less on a short term deal if anything. The leafs would be doing him a favor by giving him a chance for one more big contract in his early 30s instead of matthews just accepting max term into his mid 30s. Mathews is clearly chasing money by timing his next deal at that age, so he should be leaving something on the table in exchange for that.
He shouldn't gamble on being healthy enough for a fourth contract

Reactions: Nogatco Rd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad