News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Interesting listen? Nothing new in this piece that us Coyote followers didn't already know.
I disagree. They gave her more time to respond. It was less hustled along and perfunctory than the other podcasts. The longer she talked about any bulletin point, the more flimsy it seemed. I found it very, very interesting. She gave her standard answers I read in the article and then heard in six different interviews. But unlike the rest, this felt less like a “segment” for which we they had exactly five or ten minutes to alot and more like a conversation. These guys obviously didn’t feel the urgent need other interviewers have to jump in a quickly and as often as possible. They seemed content to listen to her speak, rather than needing to hear themselves talk.

What she did with all that rope was interesting to me. Everything became much less compelling rather than much more.

rt

May 13, 2004
I can give you a scathing review of my company. I can paint it in an even worse light than Strang did the Coyotes. And I can give you 12 names of current and former employees that would corroborate a good deal of it. At least as much corroboration as Strang got from unnamed sources.

I could also paint a picture of my company as one that’s given me tremendous opportunities for growth and career advancement. One with a truly entrepreneurial spirit like other organizations only pretend to have. Autonomy like whoa. And I could give you the names of 12 absolute champions who would sing the same praises. Essentially the exact opposite of the Strang type story.

It would be very, very easy for me to paint either picture and find a dozen sources to support either version. I would guess that’s true of most companies.The funny thing is in my 8 years with the company, I’ve fully believed bother versions at different times in my career. I would guess an awful lot of employees are like that. Ask them how they feel about the company and it may depend on the season. It has for me.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
There's always two sides to a story when someone is fired or disciplined and the truth is usually in the middle. Bottom line, you don't like how the company operates, get another job. If anything they were doing was against the law, there would be tons of lawsuits, especially in the my feelings are your responsibility world we live in now.

rt

May 13, 2004
There's always two sides to a story when someone is fired or disciplined and the truth is usually in the middle. Bottom line, you don't like how the company operates, get another job. If anything they were doing was against the law, there would be tons of lawsuits, especially in the my feelings are your responsibility world we live in now.
My wife recently switched jobs. She was at a small and very hungry agency. It was run fairly ruthlessly out of necessity. As a project manager, this did suit her in some ways. Projects tended to run more smoothly. She's now at a very large, international non-profit. It's a lot more lackadaisical. This does not suit her very well as a project manager. Despite (or maybe because of) this organization being far from desperate and always on the brink, she now has to work much harder to get projects done right. I'm sure if you asked a graphic designer at her last agency how they enjoyed their work, they'd tell you it was awful. If you asked a graphic designer at her new job how they enjoyed it, they'd probably be gushing about it.

The point is, much of it is a matter of perspective and it's highly dependent on the individual.

Reactions: Kaizen and Grimes

Yotes2000

Jan 13, 2021
Chandler, AZ
The canary in the Coal mine is Shane Doan, I said this earlier in the thread. He jumped on board after mass exodus and remains after this article.

I don't doubt the Coyotes changed culture that didn't work for many old employees but the team did need new culture even if it is brutal and hard to work for. They are 1 of 32 organizations and orgs like that can hire-re-hire quickly and easily.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Sorry. I thought most have already heard the news.
What an ego she has....wow!!

8 min mark she starts talking GMBA, I get the sense that Sullivan was the one who broke code and spoke to her....and then abruptly fired. She's insulted that Army questioned her integrity, but she has no issue questioning his. And at the 13 min mark she uses the term "sure as sh*t"......haha!

One continued miss is the Coyotes lack of professional PR and communication. The content and theme of press releases is pouring gasoline on a fire. A bit of finesse would benefit all.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I get the sense that Sullivan was the one who broke code and spoke to her....and then abruptly fired.
No doubt. Sullivan was probably disgruntled after seeing his responsibilities taken away from him. And many of the employees she spoke to were probably from the old camp and loyal to chayka/sully.

Saw someone pointing out that Strang was close to Chaykas sister. If that's the case, it makes even more sense.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
No doubt. Sullivan was probably disgruntled after seeing his responsibilities taken away from him. And many of the employees she spoke to were probably from the old camp and loyal to chayka/sully.

Saw someone pointing out that Strang was close to Chaykas sister. If that's the case, it makes even more sense.
Where’d you see that sister bit?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think that the entire purpose of the story was that the organization had this really weird segue in Chayka leaving, to where not a lot has been mentioned on that, and there were probably many assumptions as to what direction the team was starting to head in.

Look at this forum. Many are saying now that Chayka is gone, "good riddance," "Eff him," etc. And there are reasons for people to say that.

If the primary concern of Meruelo has long been that we are losing more money than expected, how does one solve that with a sports franchise? The easy answer is to win and to win, you need players that elevate the team. That may have been half the reason for the pursuit of Hall. If the goal was to get butts in seats, adding Hall does that.

In the end, the piece is a little disorganized because I think the idea was to say that this transition to BA and with Meruelo's group may have quite a few more flaws than realized, and things are not quite as smooth as they would appear. By comparison, take Vegas, as an example. I think Foley and the Maloofs have far more experience in the sports world than Meruelo. However, I do believe that when you compare the owners, Meruelo is far more interested in controlling things his way, whereas I would say Foley is letting his people do the right work and not getting overly involved.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think that the entire purpose of the story was that the organization had this really weird segue in Chayka leaving, to where not a lot has been mentioned on that, and there were probably many assumptions as to what direction the team was starting to head in.

Look at this forum. Many are saying now that Chayka is gone, "good riddance," "Eff him," etc. And there are reasons for people to say that.

If the primary concern of Meruelo has long been that we are losing more money than expected, how does one solve that with a sports franchise? The easy answer is to win and to win, you need players that elevate the team. That may have been half the reason for the pursuit of Hall. If the goal was to get butts in seats, adding Hall does that.

In the end, the piece is a little disorganized because I think the idea was to say that this transition to BA and with Meruelo's group may have quite a few more flaws than realized, and things are not quite as smooth as they would appear. By comparison, take Vegas, as an example. I think Foley and the Maloofs have far more experience in the sports world than Meruelo. However, I do believe that when you compare the owners, Meruelo is far more interested in controlling things his way, whereas I would say Foley is letting his people do the right work and not getting overly involved.
I think you are John Chayka.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think you are John Chayka.

Eat the same lunch every day?

Hell no. Although I am fond of Wendy's...

EDIT: Very diverse sports background from my end. Both in participation and coaching. I was fortunate to have a very good set of coaches in my teens - ones who I will still quote. My favorite: the difference between being committed and being involved is like a ham and eggs breakfast. You see the chicken is involved. But the pig makes the ultimate commitment.

A lot of the things done actually resonate, and sometimes the answers as to why things are as they are can be more simplistic than people make them out to be.

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
There's no chance Chayka has ever eaten Wendy's.

What are some of your favorite lunch spots, and menu items? And do you like a cold beer now and then?

Big fan of Jersey Mike's. Gotta go Mike's way. I also like most Greek food from some Mediterranean places. Wendy's has great chili. I will get a nice salad every so often too. Preferably with the fattiest dressings slathered all over every item.

I would find myself drinking two beers during games when I lived in AZ and had season tickets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad