News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm not giving this an ounce of credibility. It's most likely a fake tweet, but at best it was an April 1 tweet that got deleted.

Someone's trying to stir us up.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A reporter who has had to rebuild his rep waits until the dying moments of a silly day to troll arguably the smallest fan base in the nhl with some follow up info of a story that happened months ago? Seems like a stretch.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
A reporter who has had to rebuild his rep waits until the dying moments of a silly day to troll arguably the smallest fan base in the nhl with some follow up info of a story that happened months ago? Seems like a stretch.
His issues were never crap reporting. His reporting has been rock solid IMO. Had some interaction with him and he came across very positively to me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I thought the article was pretty dumb. Not really any new revelations. Not a lot of meat and a lot of whining (a lot from former employees) over petty things. And maybe a little resistance from the old crew on how the new crew (Meruelo and Army) want to run things.

Biggest takeaways are:
1) Alex Mereuelo Jr. is too involved in hockey ops (who didn't see that coming)
2) Sullivan got canned for breaking Armstrong's "circle of trust"

Edit: One other thing is Army wants absolutely no leaks from hockey ops. Even made staff sign a document saying they wouldn’t leak.
Nevwermind.:confused:

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Before he got himself fired for his drunken rages towards women on Twitter he regularly trolled Coyotes fans whenever they played the Avs.

Sometimes old habits never die.

I honestly hope I’m wrong but I never forget those things.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Something seems odd about this.

All leadership will have their positives and negatives, whether Chayka/Armstrong, Tippett/Tocchet, Doan/OEL, or even Trump/Biden.

If the only people interviewed were former employees who got the axe, I would like to think that journalists know the difference between how to separate certain info and context in stories. If the "old" management were the issue behind it all, then why would Strang bother to state that the 50 employees interviewed also included current ones? Would bringing up sexual advances by someone in the Meruelo group do anything to advance the idea that Dater is proposing?

Seems like the truth is in between. There are still issues because Chayka made his living out of evaluation of hockey, but the business principles may not have been there. Meruelo and Gutierrez have the business chops, but the sport side of things (for hockey at least) is the portion which they are learning on the fly.

I just assume that people who like Meruelo's approach are going to only have positive things to say on him. Those who like Chayka's approach are going to have positive things to say on him. How much Dater spoke to others in the organization by casting a wide enough net for this info remains to be seen.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Strang and Chayka's sister are friends, right? Or at least acquainted?
This new angle makes sense.

I thought someone commented earlier saying that.

I certainly wasn’t aware they were friends before this fiasco but remember when the news hit I read that. Probably somewhere here on HF.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How many stories has the Athletic run since Strang story? You know a team currently in the playoffs. That’s right zero. f*** the Athletic.
I have said that a years. Two great minds think alike.;)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How many stories has the Athletic run since Strang story? You know a team currently in the playoffs. That’s right zero. f*** the Athletic.

I’m on the hook to them until September but after that they’re getting cut. Would rather spend that money on Disney+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad