ATD2020 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I still fail to see any legitimate reasoning to rank a prime Nighbor over a prime Morenz though, but I’m certainly open to having my mind changed on that if the proper evidence came to light.

And in all my my reading and research up to this point the overwhelming/unanimous belief clearly places Morenz above. In another tier even.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I still fail to see any legitimate reasoning to rank a prime Nighbor over a prime Morenz though, but I’m certainly open to having my mind changed on that if the proper evidence came to light.

And in all my my reading and research up to this point the overwhelming/unanimous belief clearly places Morenz above. In another tier even.

You guys got it right in your rankings looks like.

All of the all-time lists I've seen look like homers to me. The Vancouver guys pick Nighbor, the Montreal guys pick Morenz. The only thing that stands out is Clancy saying Morenz was the best ever, but again his book is pretty wild with compliments. I found a newspaper article from the Sherbrooke daily record, 11.25.36 where Clancy is saying the same thing though, so he didn't change his tune. But in the article he called Morenz the "greatest center of the last 15 years" and in his autobiography he goes wild and says he the greatest player ever.

In the article he also says Cook, Nighbor, and xxx follow closely behind Morenz. And he says there's little doubt in his mind that Conacher will "rank with Morenz."

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
So I know there's still 5 picks left in the round, but I have thoughts. Going to give my top 5 favorite pairs, and top 5 least favorite pairs (excluding myself because then I'd only be giving 3 favorite pairs because mine are objectively the best).
to follow your lead Macho Man, my top 5 and bottom 5 pairings look like this...
(again my teams are objectively the best so they are kept out of the discussion)
[In b4 the thread-closure...] I enjoyed reading these posts- and (in fact) a couple of days ago, I started my own ranking- which I (in time) abandoned as an exercise in flighty vanity. I quickly re-calibrated to what I found to be interesting- since it's much easier and less arrogant for me to comment on interests than to remark on perceived effectiveness.

Four categories- Four Examples from each category- and please remember, just because your pairing isn't listed doesn't mean that I don't think it can be damned effective. That's ultimately for others to judge...

Chemistry Projects In-the-Making
Harvey-Moore, M. Richard-Lach, Bi. Cook- F. Boucher, Plante-H. Richard

Train Headed in One Obvious Direction--- But It's Got a Pretty Good Head-of-Steam
P. Esposito-Park, Makarov-Tretiak, Messier-S. Cleghorn, Clarke-S. Stevens

On This Rock Will We Stand
Chelios-C. Conacher, Robinson-Apps Sr, Crosby-Clapper, Beliveau-Keith

(Can't Wait to Hear What The Barrister Says Once This Gets to Court)
[And keep in mind- In at least half of these cases, I think the players involved deserve some energetic advocacy... so don't take this the wrong way]
G. Hall-Leetch, Coffey-Sawchuk, Lemieux-St Louis, Lidstrom-Langway

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
If someone else wants the team, please feel free to “jump” me in line. I am more than happy with one team.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Smooth resolution here! Nice thing about this is that unlike the situation with @Johnny Engine in the OPPF Draft (where he had to take over for a team that premature-ejaculated the Montreal, Detroit, and Chicago cards in Rounds 1,2 & 3), there's still plenty of time to save the position.

Edit- I've offered a little Private Consultation in certain undisclosed quarters- so me keeping my distance saves us from the spectre of conflict-of-interest.

Hope to see you all in the next OPPF and/or ATA projects, as a participant!:)

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Smooth resolution here! Nice thing about this is that unlike the situation with @Johnny Engine in the OPPF Draft (where he had to take over for a team that premature-ejaculated the Montreal, Detroit, and Chicago cards in Rounds 1,2 & 3), there's still plenty of time to save the position.

Edit- I've offered a little Private Consultation in certain undisclosed quarters- so me keeping my distance saves us from the spectre of conflict-of-interest.

Hope to see you all in the next OPPF and/or ATA projects, as a participant!:)
I wouldn’t worry about conflict of interests- if the team opens up, it’s yours if you want it as far as I am concerned.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ask someone like @seventieslord to make two picks for him, then give him the long stretch until his next set to show signs of life.

If not, then give the team to anybody.

This is a lottery pick team too with Gretzky in the bag, I'm uncomfortable taking it away from him from 48h of absence, even if I strongly suggest everyone not to do that.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Whatever the situation is, these two picks need to be made quickly. It is too early in the draft for skipped picks. I don’t care what the solution is, but I strongly dislike the idea of teams getting to jump ahead with such valuable players still on the board.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Whatever the situation is, these two picks need to be made quickly. It is too early in the draft for skipped picks. I don’t care what the solution is, but I strongly dislike the idea of teams getting to jump ahead with such valuable players still on the board.

If we decide to let an outsider make two picks for him to give him another two full rounds to show up, we'll give the outsider a clock, exceptionally.

I am contacting seventieslord as I write this post.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The issue is by the rules his next pick is auto skipped. It's been 3 days. We have a GM who can take over and run a team with no delay. It's not fair to hold up the draft at this point. We're not talking 24 hours of inactivity here.

And I say that as someone who would benefit from having 2 picks skipped since I'm about to pick myself.

I say once nabby goes we give the team to Rmartin. At least we know A, the team will be well taken care of and B, other people aren't held up in the process.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The issue is by the rules his next pick is auto skipped. It's been 3 days. We have a GM who can take over and run a team with no delay. It's not fair to hold up the draft at this point. We're not talking 24 hours of inactivity here.

And I say that as someone who would benefit from having 2 picks skipped since I'm about to pick myself.

I say once nabby goes we give the team to Rmartin. At least we know A, the team will be well taken care of and B, other people aren't held up in the process.
Yeah - I mean the complete lack of checking in is worrisome.

I agree the pick is skipped. I wouldn't mind giving him one more chance to check in, but that's just out of an abundance of generosity.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
If 70s wants the team/to make a couple picks here, I am all for it. My main interests are keeping the draft moving and keeping a level playing field, not getting a second team.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

No. Give Pominville Knows a chance, he has been a GM in the past. The draft is exceptionally long this year, he's running only one team at the tail end and he probably just let it out of his mind at the end of the week.

Obviously if he doesn't show up by the next turn, he's out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad