ATD2020 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
...It's Raymond Bourque
Seems we've disagreed on a few things lately- but if "you're-playing-to-win-the-game," I think it's the right call.

Edit- fun facts in Geography: Novosibirsk is exactly 12 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. [We're in standard time now here on America's Eastern Seaboard.] Wouldn't have expected this, but @VanIslander is only two hours ahead of you. [So he's Eastern Standard Time +14.]

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I was between two options and had hard time to decide. With so many teams on the draft it makes things more unpredictable, than in smaller drafts, that's why I chose what is less risky one to my mind. I'm still not sure if it's the best option here, though:)

So, It's Raymond Bourque
Man now I'm sad.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So I realize the number is off but this particular website wouldn't let me change it but they offer a ton of neat styles and color combo's so i decided to design a Pittsburgh AC sweater while waiting to pick :)

The Pittsburgh AC are extremely proud to welcome the one of the greatest ambassadors the league has ever known, widely regarded as the greatest captain of all time and a legend across the board. A serial winner w/ a staggering 17 SC's to his name (10 as a player and 7 as an executive).

Jean Beliveau, C
"Les Gros Bill"

Jean_Beliveau_2.jpg

Pittsburgh AC Jersey 2.png

Attachments

• Pittsburgh AC Jersey 2.png
    Pittsburgh AC Jersey 2.png
    268.4 KB · Views: 0

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So I realize the number is off but this particular website wouldn't let me change it but they offer a ton of neat styles and color combo's so i decided to design a Pittsburgh AC sweater while waiting to pick :)

The Pittsburgh AC are extremely proud to welcome the one of the greatest ambassadors the league has ever known, widely regarded as the greatest captain of all time and a legend across the board. A serial winner w/ a staggering 17 SC's to his name (10 as a player and 7 as an executive).

Jean Beliveau, C
"Les Gros Bill"

Jean_Beliveau_2.jpg

View attachment 310005

In a draft this size, he's probably a better building-block than both Gretzky and Lemieux, unless you can really nail a Gretzky-like team, which is a hard task.

Would like to hear more arguments in favor of Jean being the greatest center that ever lived. If only as a thought exercise.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
In a draft this size, he's probably a better building-block than both Gretzky and Lemieux, unless you can really nail a Gretzky-like team, which is a hard task.

Would like to hear more arguments in favor of Jean being the greatest center that ever lived. If only as a thought exercise.

Yeah, he's rather easy to build around and is someone I've never had the pleasure owning here before. He's probably my favorite all time non Penguins player. Harvey/Bourque made the decision easier although there were a couple of legit options left.

Plus it's a nice ode to Canadians1958 who ranked JB 3rd overall in the top 100 project before his passing.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Gor the Richmond Renegades-

I mean - this is the guy I expected to take - was hoping to get lucky and nab one of Bourque or Beliveau, but with a pick this high you need a leader.

You need a gamebreaker.

You need a complete player.

You need a *Captain*.

You need a guy who sucks.

You need Denis Potvin.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Gor the Richmond Renegades-

I mean - this is the guy I expected to take - was hoping to get lucky and nab one of Bourque or Beliveau, but with a pick this high you need a leader.

You need a gamebreaker.

You need a complete player.

You need a *Captain*.

You need a guy who sucks.

You need Denis Potvin.

Wow really?! I had hoped Potvin would fall to me, and was 99% sure he would. More of a preference because I wanted to build around him at least once in the ATD and thought "here was my chance".

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
@BenchBrawl

I certainly don't think you'd be able to convince anyone that Beliveau is the greatest C who ever lived because people are to transfixed on offensive value as a stand alone to evaluation.

If JB had been say as good defensively couple with his offensive totals and playoff dominance you then would probably start getting a few people to take a pause.

The other factor that works against him is he's an 06'er. Many people today only know Beliveau by name. They never saw him play.

While I do think Gretzky and Mario are slightly overrated on the whole, I still have them both over JB, who is still in the 3 spot all time at C in my book 5-8 range all time regardless of position.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Wow really?! I had hoped Potvin would fall to me, and was 99% sure he would. More of a preference because I wanted to build around him at least once in the ATD and thought "here was my chance".
I think of true building blocks on the back end, theres a drop after him. I'll talk about it more when the undrafted get taken, but I dont see Potvin as a tier below Bourque *in this format*.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Denis Potvin is consistently taken in the 10th-13th range, which is higher than where you'd think he should rank based on most HoH discussions. But I think the skin in the game of ATD GMs reveals something about Potvin's value as a cornerstone player. When put to the test, many people choose him over other higher ranked players—consistently so, year after year.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Denis Potvin is consistently taken in the 10th-13th range, which is higher than where you'd think he should rank based on most HoH discussions. But I think the skin in the game of ATD GMs reveals something about Potvin's value as a cornerstone player. When put to the test, many people end up choosing him over other higher ranked players—consistently so, year after year.
Which means we probably aren't thinking about his all time ranking correctly...

And of Dmen in general. 4 are off the board in 8 picks. Should tell you how we underappreciate the position.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Which means we probably aren't thinking about his all time ranking correctly...

And of Dmen in general. 4 are off the board in 8 picks. Should tell you how we underappreciate the position.

I agree with your 1st statement, but not with your 2nd. The ATD format does put a premium on defensemen in a way that is a little bit artificial.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Denis Potvin is consistently taken in the 10th-13th range, which is higher than where you'd think he should rank based on most HoH discussions. But I think the skin in the game of ATD GMs reveals something about Potvin's value as a cornerstone player. When put to the test, many people choose him over other higher ranked players—consistently so, year after year.
I'll also say this - there was only one other player I was thinking of taking. And I was shocked at myself for considering him, because when it came to the gut I realized he was the guy I wanted.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
@BenchBrawl

I certainly don't think you'd be able to convince anyone that Beliveau is the greatest C who ever lived because people are to transfixed on offensive value as a stand alone to evaluation.

If JB had been say as good defensively as Ted Kennedy (great) or Bobby Clarke (elite), couple with his offensive totals and playoff dominance you then would probably start getting a few people to take a pause.

The other factor that works against him is he's an 06'er. Many people today only know Beliveau by name. They never saw him play.

While I do think Gretzky and Mario are slightly overrated on the whole, I still have them both over JB, who is still in the 3 spot all time at C in my book 5-8 range all time regardless of position.

Here's a thought experiment. Assume they're all consistently healthy and playing throughout their entire 30s. Who do you pick between the three of them (for their 30s)?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I agree with your 1st statement, but not with your 2nd. The ATD format does put a premium on defensemen in a way that is a little bit artificial.
I dont think its artificial- I think it's an accurate reflection of the importance of the position. But agree to disagree.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I’ve never built a team with Maurice Richard before, and I’m excited to now. I see him as a guy that should fit most centres, is a real game breaker, and does what a winger is supposed to do on a well coached team even if he’s nowhere near a defensive difference maker.
*bites lip in French*

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I’ve never built a team with Maurice Richard before, and I’m excited to now. I see him as a guy that should fit most centres, is a real game breaker, and does what a winger is supposed to do on a well coached team even if he’s nowhere near a defensive difference maker.

Great pick, certainly a better player than Denis Potvin and Ray Bourque, but yeah taking a winger is always a riskier business. But so was Amazon.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
(Bourque is a better player than Richard)

I don't see it. Richard was a major superstar at a level never attained by Bourque. Qui plus est, Rocket have great longevity himself, so Bourque cannot count on his longevity to save him as it usually does in those kind of comparisons.

Plus there is a significant playoffs advantage for Richard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad