ATD2020 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
We starting early? I'm not fully ready but we pick Wayne Gretzky.

99_chalkboard_rrd-k.png

Yeah the clock isn't running so you have as much time as you need till it goes live monday morning. But we start picking pre-clock

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Sorry folks - I was scanning the thread earlier on my phone. Didn't get a chance to get to my computer until now.

The Kenora Thistles are pleased to select:

DOUG HARVEY - Defence

P197301S.jpg

The best choice at 5th, especially considering he's a defenseman.

What an absolute stud he is. It was a pleasure to build around him twice in the last few years.

Harvey is a Top 3 building block in the ATD—along with Orr and Howe—given just how easy it is to build around him.

Excellent on both 1st special units, can play 26-30 minutes a night, can play both sides, controls the flow of the game; what's not to like?

Last edited:
Reactions: Habsfan18

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Last time I picked #4 I shocked the world (Well the GM's in the 2014 draft) and selected Harvey. Decided to go with Lemieux this time. IMO he would have been the best ever if not for injury.

24_1_215474c7-e80a-4644-9d41-ddcb61981b30_grande.jpg

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Last time I picked #4 I shocked the world (Well the GM's in the 2014 draft) and selected Harvey. Decided to go with Lemieux this time. IMO he would have been the best ever if not for injury.

For my money, Lemieux is certainly the greatest talent in the history of the game. Not best player, but best talent.

But yes, a healthy Lemieux could have certainly been the greatest of all-time.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
For my money, Lemieux is certainly the greatest talent in the history of the game. Not best player, but best talent.

I still think Orr holds that distinction while also being my best player ever, but Mario was the most naturally gifted hockey player I've ever seen. At his size, what he was able to do skating and skill wise was just not fair.

I do absolutely think had he not had such a terrible time with cancer, plus a really debilitating back by the early 90's, he'd have mirrored a lot of Gretzky's totals. His per game #'s are right there in a lot of categories.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Still, you'd think the "greatest talent" would come with an understanding of the importance and long-term necessity of playing a responsible defensive game. Something that Orr, Harvey and many soon-to-be drafted players (including forwards) understood.

At his absolute peak Lemieux didn't need it too much---like Gretzky---but neither matured that well. They "aged" well, in the sense of still scoring points well into their 30s, but there was little maturity acquired in their play and career arc.

Gordie Howe aged and matured well (if he even needed it). For me that's a crucial difference: ageing vs. maturing.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Still, you'd think the "greatest talent" would come with an understanding of the importance and long-term necessity of playing a responsible defensive game. Something that Orr, Harvey and many soon-to-be drafted players (including forwards) understood.

At his absolute peak Lemieux didn't need it too much---like Gretzky---but neither matured that well. They "aged" well, in the sense of still scoring points well into their 30s, but there was little maturity acquired in their play and career arc.

Gordie Howe aged and matured well (if he even needed it). For me that's a crucial difference: ageing vs. maturing.

I think Orr was the greatest all around talent. Howe just a hair behind for reasons you mentioned.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
I was between two options and had hard time to decide. With so many teams on the draft it makes things more unpredictable, than in smaller drafts, that's why I chose what is less risky one to my mind. I'm still not sure if it's the best option here, though:)

So, It's Raymond Bourque

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I was between two options and had hard time to decide. With so many teams on the draft it makes things more unpredictable, than in smaller drafts, that's why I chose what is less risky one to my mind. I'm still not sure if it's the best option here, though:)

So, It's Raymond Bourque

Another incredible ATD building block right there.

Reactions: Namba 17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad