ATD Chat Thread XVIII

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Watching the highlights of Eddie Shore, he was clearly doing what is now known as surfing.

There is another Bruins video of Shore from one of their practices where they demonstrate that the first dman's job is to steer or cut the ice or skate at and surf the attacker wide, and the last defender (Shore in the example shown) applies the hurt.

Hitchman was also known to be a master at one-on-one though, but it's not clear if that's because Shore was lurking behind or what.

Shore does make several mistakes in that video, but it's from 1931 and I think it's been said here that his defensive game became elite later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirt 101

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Eddie Shore 1928 Hart trophy finalist
Eddie Shore 1929 Hart trophy finalist.
Eddie Shore 1931 Hart trophy runner-up.

Did he improve after that?

Well,I guess so....
  • Eddie Shore 1933 Hart trophy WINNER.
  • Eddie Shore 1935 Hart trophy WINNER.
  • Eddie Shore 1936 Hart trophy WINNER.
  • Eddie Shore.1938 Hart trophy WINNER.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Eddie Shore 1928 Hart trophy finalist
Eddie Shore 1929 Hart trophy finalist.
Eddie Shore 1931 Hart trophy runner-up.

Did he improve after that?

Well,I guess so....
  • Eddie Shore 1933 Hart trophy WINNER.
  • Eddie Shore 1935 Hart trophy WINNER.
  • Eddie Shore 1936 Hart trophy WINNER.
  • Eddie Shore.1938 Hart trophy WINNER.

I thought he was more of an offensive dman early on tho. Also, in the 30s Dmen got more Hart votes, right?

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
th

I found a pretty dumb mistake. They're talking about Syl Apps, Jr (pictured above) in the article. I realize they just forgot to put the Jr in the photo caption below. That's not the mistake. How can you post a B&W photo of his dad who played in the 30s & 40s in a Leafs jersey and think it's a 1970s player who never played for the Leafs?

appsSylTOR-390x480.jpg

Syl Apps played for the Rangers, Penguins and Kings.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I sent a request to Borje Salming to say a video hello to the group. I told him he was drafted 58th overall and sent him the link to our group. Not sure why I did this- boredom maybe, but I'm also a fan of the player and spent lots of time in Toronto when I was young and he was a star. So, I'll post his video response when I get it.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I sent a request to Borje Salming to say a video hello to the group. I told him he was drafted 58th overall and sent him the link to our group. Not sure why I did this- boredom maybe, but I'm also a fan of the player and spent lots of time in Toronto when I was young and he was a star. So, I'll post his video response when I get it.

That gives me an idea to order a video from one of my players just absolutely trashing my playoff opposition. Does Mark Messier offer these videos? :laugh:

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg

Ironically enough, I got Salming to wish my parents a Merry Christmas a few months back!

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
So, it would actually be a pretty big effort and quite time consuming. But I’m thinking of using FHM 7’s historical mode to simulate a full season using our exact ATD rosters this year.

Basically the steps would be as follow:

- Start a season using 1992-1993 as the base. I would do this because there were 24 teams that year, and really it was just an exciting and high scoring season from recent-ish memory. I could use another season and add/delete teams to get to 24 but this would be the quickest and easiest solution for me.

- I would then use the “import historical player” function to add every single player we drafted into the league and add them to the correct team.

- Let the game simulate a full season and playoffs.

Now, there are two issues that would come up.

1. When importing a player, say for example Gordie Howe..I have to pick a single season of Gordie Howe to add as the base. I can’t just add him as an overall player. I have to add 1958-1959 Gordie Howe, or 1975-1976 Gordie Howe etc..With so many players, how am I supposed to determine the exact season for each player to import?

2. Lines. Ideally, I’d want to use our exact line setups as listed in the roster thread. I could have all of the rosters accurate, but since the game doesn’t allow me to control each team I don’t believe there is a way to keep our lines accurate. I’d be using “commish mode” to edit the league, place players on certain rosters etc..but unless the game has a “lock lines” feature for each team (which I’m not sure of) I think the AI coach for each team will use the lines they deem the best.

So that’s where I’m at. I’m on holidays this coming week, so I had an idea to do this as it could just be fun to see how it plays out and to see who wins the cup. But it’s a big effort for something that is pretty much pointless lol and of course those issues mentioned above.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I have a non-cash pool running on who the biggest snubs among the Top 200 Players Project will be. It's based on quality, not quantity so your number of snubs doesn't matter, it's the quality of snub that matters. Each participant will select 6 players and message them to @Hawkman by midnight ET April 22nd. I'll message my list to @Bear of Bad News. A guy who picks 5 players that get in, could beat a guy who picks 6 snubs, because it's based on quality, not quantity. This negates the pick the worst possible players strategy. Your list must possess 1 snub so balloting is possible for the team. The voting will be done by all the participants after #200 is posted. I'll create a group pm for discussion and voting. Top 200 Committee members are not eligible.

• Batis, BenchBrawl, bobholly39, buffalowing88, Dennis Bonvie, DN28, Dr John Carlson, Hockey Outsider, MXD, Professor What, ResilientBeast, seventieslord, tarheelhockey, ted2019, TheDevilMadeMe, Vilica, Weztex

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
So, it would actually be a pretty big effort and quite time consuming. But I’m thinking of using FHM 7’s historical mode to simulate a full season using our exact ATD rosters this year.

Basically the steps would be as follow:

- Start a season using 1992-1993 as the base. I would do this because there were 24 teams that year, and really it was just an exciting and high scoring season from recent-ish memory. I could use another season and add/delete teams to get to 24 but this would be the quickest and easiest solution for me.

- I would then use the “import historical player” function to add every single player we drafted into the league and add them to the correct team.

- Let the game simulate a full season and playoffs.

Now, there are two issues that would come up.

1. When importing a player, say for example Gordie Howe..I have to pick a single season of Gordie Howe to add as the base. I can’t just add him as an overall player. I have to add 1958-1959 Gordie Howe, or 1975-1976 Gordie Howe etc..With so many players, how am I supposed to determine the exact season for each player to import?

2. Lines. Ideally, I’d want to use our exact line setups as listed in the roster thread. I could have all of the rosters accurate, but since the game doesn’t allow me to control each team I don’t believe there is a way to keep our lines accurate. I’d be using “commish mode” to edit the league, place players on certain rosters etc..but unless the game has a “lock lines” feature for each team (which I’m not sure of) I think the AI coach for each team will use the lines they deem the best.

So that’s where I’m at. I’m on holidays this coming week, so I had an idea to do this as it could just be fun to see how it plays out and to see who wins the cup. But it’s a big effort for something that is pretty much pointless lol and of course those issues mentioned above.

I'd say to just use your best judgment as to the player's best season as for which season to choose. That seems like the most straightforward way to handle it to me.

I'm not personally familiar with FHM, but I know that What If Sports doesn't have non-NHL seasons. Does FHM support that?

Regardless of what how you handle it, if you do it, I'd be very interested in the outcome of the sim.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Total: 2,037 (members: 718, guests: 1,186, robots: 133)

I realize this is the assn period. I drew the short straw among the guests, lurkers, peeping Toms, perverts, robots, and voyeurs. When are you ladies gonna have enough confidence to start the voting for seeds? ;)

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'd say to just use your best judgment as to the player's best season as for which season to choose. That seems like the most straightforward way to handle it to me.

I'm not personally familiar with FHM, but I know that What If Sports doesn't have non-NHL seasons. Does FHM support that?

Regardless of what how you handle it, if you do it, I'd be very interested in the outcome of the sim.

I believe they do but only from the formation of the NHL forward I believe.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In 1997 I was in my third year of grad school.

I went to Internet cafes to pick Tony Gonzalez as my Tight End in two fantasy dynasty drafts (before I discovered HfBoards for hockey).

Why? I played TE in high school and he was the most electric receiver at the time, Ertz, Kelce and now Pitts trump him.

1. Trevor Lawrence, QB
2. Kyle Pitts, TE
3. Oenwi Sewel, OT

Those are the HOFers to be, barring injury, lock and load.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
"Oopsie! Your memmo from Borje "The King" Salming has expired......but don't you worry! Life happens and sometimes it's just not that easy to keep up. Just try placing your order again and let's keep our fingers crossed
1f31f

If you paid with credit card the amount reserved will be withdrawn. If you paid with another method you will be paid back."

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
"Oopsie! Your memmo from Borje "The King" Salming has expired......but don't you worry! Life happens and sometimes it's just not that easy to keep up. Just try placing your order again and let's keep our fingers crossed
1f31f

If you paid with credit card the amount reserved will be withdrawn. If you paid with another method you will be paid back."

It actually says "oopsie?" That's funny.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
1f31f

Probably pissed he wasn’t a 1st or 2nd rounder.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Marleau scored last night (team high 3 shots despite just 13 minutes played) on a puck recovery and quick forehand-backhand stickhandling by the crease: his careerlong bread-and-butter eye-hand coordinated conversion of loose pucks by the crease.

He ties Sundin and Nieuwendyk in career regular season goals.

Next game he ties Messier for 2nd most regular season games played.

Twelve games from now he ties Gordie Howe for most career games played in the NHL regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad