ATD Chat Thread XVIII

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The best pick of the Flyers was Peter Forsberg 6th overall in the 1991 NHL entry draft.

Just over a year later Phily traded Forsberg in a deal to get Eric Lindros.

;)

The Flyers don't get Lindros if they gadn't drafted Forsberg a year earlier.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Thanks to Hawkman PMing me a songlist, I got on Spotify this morning and, well, I've been listening to music all day. :)

Here is one of my first songlists, and one I'll listen to late at night.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My first one took me the longest because I was determined to recall my favs that slowly build and build, all ten are very similar in, well, ascending...

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
.... that the best Flyers career player they could draft is Giroux (or whoever you like best since 1976). My D&D dice could draft better than their front office. ;)
I also said "Giroux (or whoever you like best since 1976)" so you're actually arguing with yourself.

I remember when I created an NFL all time draft in the NFL forum and you begged me to get in. When I posted I was moving it to the fantasy (football sub) forum you assumed I meant the fantasy hockey forum and quit in a huff.

Remember when you created multiple accounts so you could vote for your hockey ATD teams more than once and almost got perma banned from HF. All of us vets who have been here in the ATD since 2008 remember this. First you claimed that you only did it so the "right" teams would win. The last time I read you comment on this matter you claimed that you only voted with one account. The next time you'll probably claim it never happened at all. It's interesting how the truth evolves. Yeah, you'd be a fun person to hang out with during the MLD.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
C.Q. to @Hockey Outsider and anyone else who wants to weigh in on this topic.

Currently circulating on the InterWebs is the "5 Whiskeys" challenge- select one for each category-

1. Daily drinker
2. Inexpensive mixer
3. End-of-week wind-down (wrapping up a rough work-week)
4. Impress guests
5. Special occasion

Ready? Go! [if you wish.]

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
C.Q. to @Hockey Outsider and anyone else who wants to weigh in on this topic.

Currently circulating on the InterWebs is the "5 Whiskeys" challenge- select one for each category-

1. Daily drinker
2. Inexpensive mixer
3. End-of-week wind-down (wrapping up a rough work-week)
4. Impress guests
5. Special occasion

Ready? Go! [if you wish.]

Not a whiskey person (I like the stuff but I've met plenty of examples of what a "whiskey person" actually is and I'm not that), but here are my most appropriate answers:

1. Well, I definitely don't drink any kind of whiskey daily, or every second day or anything like that, but if I randomly decide to have a glass on a non-descript weekday, it would be whatever inexpensive bottle of scotch is taking up the "inexpensive bottle of scotch" slot in my liquor cabinet. I remember Bell's taking that space somewhat recently, of which a 750ML bottle is going for $31 on the Newfoundland Liquor Corporation Website right now, and I think my most recent bottle had a bird of some kind on the label, though it's skipping my mind right now. The slot is currently open and should be filled soon enough.

2. Ah, here's where I have a real opinion. Crown Royal, going for $32 for 750ML from NLC, is appropriate for just about anything you'd want to make, and that's my thing - making high-effort bar drinks. Jenny Engine is more of a "half a shot and a soft drink" type (being five foot zero minus something), and prefers Jameson for that (going for $34 for 750ML from NLC).

3. I really like Bulleit's bourbon. $42 for the 750 ML from NLC, so it's not really a big deal but on weekdays you might steer towards the stuff you have for three quarters of the price.

4. Really, we're circling back to the Crown here, and hoping you're impressed by my choice of fruit, soda, sugar, bitters and whatever else I'm putting together.

5. A more expensive scotch. Do I know what I'm getting? No. Will I try to remember one that I enjoyed particularly? Probably not, I don't do this often enough. Will I enjoy it? Yes. Will my friends enjoy it? They'll say they do, who knows if they're pumping my tires. Should I just be asking my friend Rob what to get in a certain price range? Yes.

A friend of mine once had a session at an upscale recording studio just outside of St. John's, which was also being used for an Alan Doyle (of Great Big Sea) solo album at the time. My friend told me he went to the on site kitchen and found an expensive bottle of scotch sitting next to the remnants of a Mary Brown's snack pack (East coast equivalent to KFC or Popeye's). The very definition of a Newfoundland millionaire's lunch.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
rus-all-star-540.jpg

IIHF - All-Time Russia Team

What is the consensus team? I miss GBC, C1958, Killion, etc. I still read old posts by them and former ATD GMs who played before 2008.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Sean Burke?

His international resume

YearTeamEventGPWLTMINGASOGAA
1986CanadaWJC2110120703.50
1987CanadaWC52213001202.40
1988CanadaOLY41212381203.02
1989CanadaWC52751012.18
1991CanadaWC85124792102.63
1991CanadaCC0
1992CanadaOLY75204291702.37
1997CanadaWC117136082232.17
2003CanadaWC6329711.28
Junior totals2110120703.50
Senior totals46265810152.28
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
High- okay I guess it's not as odd as I would have thought.

Also I'm guessing Roy and Brodeur didn't play a ton of WCs.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The new IIHF teams are terrible.

They clearly had an unwritten requirement for at least one active player per team. And most of the teams (basically all of them but Canada) had a requirement for at least one "founder" type player. Bobrov and Malkin over Makarov is just...

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

Oh dear lord!

What I find funny is that Lester Patrick picture with Rangers is actually Patricks head attached to Lorne Chabot´s body with that days photoshop technology. Now almost hundred years later they made that monster alive. 100 years of technological nonsense.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Oh dear lord!

What I find funny is that Lester Patrick picture with Rangers is actually Patricks head attached to Lorne Chabot´s body with that days photoshop technology. Now almost hundred years later they made that monster alive. 100 years of technological nonsense.

We actually have film of him too, we don't need a recreation. What scares me are Cyclone Taylor's eyebrows and you don't even need technology for that.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
The eyebrows should give him an extra foot and 20 more pounds above and beyond the usual ATD height/weight adjustment.This is the only other guy I can think of in his league:
WnEsNpLwpF3qYea_kAalZPHKyVfC4XItjEtjCsBPgB0kBSrCsLNO2XDebID7stXda3Cs3hCwF0HlhzSfmaUpyxGt1p4tfGbz6N-ZEX-GtNiZck4TvBLLVQ
You can have all the education, but no one can give you common sense. These are historical figures who had an actual height/weight. They are not video game characters that can be adjusted. VsX? There are no outliers in hockey stats. Just take their top 10 scoring finishes and average them. This is same group that cowardly accepted for years that elite goal tending such as Patrick Roy doesn't matter in the playoffs, totally ignoring win probability and hockey history.

Give me 24 good common sense men and no one would even think of all this foolish nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad