Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
RB.

Grab a cup of coffee.

Your partnered him with

Vic Hadfield
- Connor McDavid - Yvan Cournoyer

Vic Hadfield isn't a HHOFer, so you gave him a single HHOF linemate.

Also at the time of the draft, he'd played 13 playoff games (9 points)

Literally, no one said he's better than Dionne already lol, just that he's on track to surpass him because well he is

Reactions: Dirt 101

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I was thinking powerplay.

Thanks for the correction.

I also forgot you were having him coached by Torts.....

I railed against McDavid's playoff resume this year too despite him having 13 points in 4 games against the Hawks. He played overall pretty poor hockey despite the point totals.

As a top 6 center his PO record is weaker than Dionne and Malone two centers with bad records, and it's just because he's 24. We're not playing a prediction game here, he hasn't done it yet so I won't consider it.

For someone who talks about how we use regular season offense too heavily for POs VanI I'm a little surprised.

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
2010s Scoring Leaders
RKNAMEBORNPOS
1Patrick Kane1988F
2Sidney Crosby1987F
3Alexander Ovechkin1985F
4Claude Giroux1988F
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5. John Tavares

Who is the best player in each decade? I'll post my wrong opinions and you guys can correct me.

20s Morenz
30s Shore
40s Rocket
50s Gordie
60s Hull
70s Orr
80s Gretzky
90s Super Mario
00s Lidstrom
10s Crosby - Did you know Kane was the leading scorer? (see above)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
2010s Scoring Leaders
RKNAMEBORNPOS
1Patrick Kane1988F
2Sidney Crosby1987F
3Alexander Ovechkin1985F
4Claude Giroux1988F
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5. John Tavares

Who is the best player in each decade? I'll post my wrong opinions and you guys can correct me.

20s Morenz
30s Shore
40s Rocket
50s Gordie
60s Hull
70s Orr
80s Gretzky
90s Super Mario
00s Lidstrom

That's pretty much what I have. I think that Nighbor has a case for 1920s, just because Morenz didn't get started until later in the decade. 1940s could be someone like Apps for the same reason.

Reactions: Hawkman

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
2010s Scoring Leaders
RKNAMEBORNPOS
1Patrick Kane1988F
2Sidney Crosby1987F
3Alexander Ovechkin1985F
4Claude Giroux1988F
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5. John Tavares

20s Morenz
30s Shore
40s Rocket
50s Gordie
60s Hull
70s Orr
80s Gretzky
90s Super Mario
00s Lidstrom

10s Taylor or Newsy or Nighbor?
00s Bowie?

and I think it's safe to say 2020's - McDavid even as a one dimensional player

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
That's pretty much what I have. I think that Nighbor has a case for 1920s, just because Morenz didn't get started until later in the decade. 1940s could be someone like Apps for the same reason.
Generational hockey talents' primes have tended to straddle decade lines so often it almost seems like they're doing it on purpose to mess with our "best of the decade" constructs.
With that in mind, no, I don't think you can say in 2021 that it's "safe" to say no one will touch McDavid in the 9 years we've got ahead of us. But he's certainly got the "best player 2015-2025" wrapped up by now, easily.

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
...With that in mind, no, I don't think you can say in 2021 that it's "safe" to say no one will touch McDavid in the 9 years we've got ahead of us. But he's certainly got the "best player 2015-2025" wrapped up by now, easily.
His PPG is pretty amazing. 1.38596

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm so excited about the new tv deals that I wrote this.

"The twentysomethings can do their pseudo-cool posturing all they want. NBC is your daddy's NHL. This is the huge multi-platform increase in cash and visibility that the NHL has always needed, especially in the 21st century. Hockey is made for exciting clips on Sportscenter and Youtube and (although they play in different seasons) this deal could help hockey someday overtake baseball and it's aging fanbase to become a top 3 major league sport in the US. (This is not a shot at MLB. I'm a fan and HF has great MLB fans and a great MLB forum.)"

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Generational hockey talents' primes have tended to straddle decade lines so often it almost seems like they're doing it on purpose to mess with our "best of the decade" constructs.
With that in mind, no, I don't think you can say in 2021 that it's "safe" to say no one will touch McDavid in the 9 years we've got ahead of us. But he's certainly got the "best player 2015-2025" wrapped up by now, easily.

The 2010's:

Crosby, until his injury then,
Price for three years,
Crosby again
McDavid

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
McDavid is the leading scorer for the 5 seasons between 2015-16 and 2019-20 by 4 points, and in this, the 6th season of said period, he's going to run away with the scoring race and the Hart by a mile. We don't know what's going to happen with the last 4 seasons, but in order for someone other than McDavid to be "the best player of 2015-2025":
- Crosby, Kane or Hedman would have to soundly outperform McDavid in his athletic prime while they're in their mid-30s
- Someone yet to make their mark would have to blow away McDavid's 6 years of exceptional play in the space of only 4 years (that goes for anyone drafted this summer, but also Hughes, Lafreniere, Dahlin...pick your guy who might have the goods but hasn't shown it)
- MacKinnon or Matthews would have to at least match McDavid's already-established peak in the next 4 years, while McDavid takes a big nosedive. This would have to be the most believable scenario, but...naw.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
McDavid is the leading scorer for the 5 seasons between 2015-16 and 2019-20 by 4 points, and in this, the 6th season of said period, he's going to run away with the scoring race and the Hart by a mile. We don't know what's going to happen with the last 4 seasons, but in order for someone other than McDavid to be "the best player of 2015-2025":
- Crosby, Kane or Hedman would have to soundly outperform McDavid in his athletic prime while they're in their mid-30s
- Someone yet to make their mark would have to blow away McDavid's 6 years of exceptional play in the space of only 4 years (that goes for anyone drafted this summer, but also Hughes, Lafreniere, Dahlin...pick your guy who might have the goods but hasn't shown it)
- MacKinnon or Matthews would have to at least match McDavid's already-established peak in the next 4 years, while McDavid takes a big nosedive. This would have to be the most believable scenario, but...naw.

As we all know, if you had to pick a winner for the 10's it's Crosby, doesn't matter what McDavid's trophies are. Crosby lifted back-to-back teams that couldn't play defense to Cups with his two-way play and clutch scoring. And ironically those teams played fast and looked like garbage before the coaching change. McDavid hasn't come close to matching that. Price could have been in the conversation had he lifted the Habs to Cups in 2011 and 2014, but he didn't and McD still isn't playing defense.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
As we all know, if you had to pick a winner for the 10's it's Crosby, doesn't matter what McDavid's trophies are. Crosby lifted back-to-back teams that couldn't play defense to Cups with his two-way play and clutch scoring. And ironically those teams played fast and looked like garbage before the coaching change. McDavid hasn't come close to matching that. Price could have been in the conversation had he lifted the Habs to Cups in 2011 and 2014, but he didn't and McD still isn't playing defense.

giphy.gif

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
McDavid is starting to play a bit of defense this year.

He hasn't had to play defense he's filling the net. We shall see when it matters. Montreal scored an OT goal and it was because he was lollygagging and not picking up his man, so Nurse had to step up to the middle, which gave the puck carrier enough room to move in and score. I'm a huge fan, but fact remains he has to lift his team to a championship like Crosby did when the Penguins had shite defense if he wants to be considered on Sid's level.

He's the second worst amongst all centers with Corsi Against, but that doesn't tell the whole story as he's the best at Corsi For- by far.

Screenshot_2021-05-03 Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick.png

This, however, doesn't look so good. Third worst at Expected Goals Against:

Screenshot_2021-05-03 Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick(1).png

But he's the best at Expected Goals For. However, other centers have a much better differential. Again, we'll see how it shakes out in the playoffs, if he can get his team out of the North.

Screenshot_2021-05-03 Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick(2).png

Connor faces the third highest quality of competition with the 6th strongest quality of teammate amongst centers.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He plays a ton of minutes and its high event hockey. I'd rather be trading chances with McDavid on the ice than playing defensive hockey.

Like there's a spectrum here. McDavid isn't going to win a Selke. But is he backchecking hard? Is he staying in front of his guy when he's in his zone instead of blowing the zone for a breakaway the second there's a chance possession changes? That's all I ask for a talent like that. I don't want him playing low event hockey.

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Jason Robertson is having a good year and has a chance at the Calder. All non-US posters will disagree. j/k ;)

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
McDavid has 1 Hart. Some need to calm down.

Jason Robertson is having a good year and has a chance at the Calder. All non-US posters will disagree. j/k ;)
That's really missing the forest for the trees w/r/t McDavid.

For one, two Harts puts you in pretty rarified air. Second, it will be his third Art Ross, and (as much as I hate to admit it as a Kucherov fan) probably the most impressive win in decades.

He has been the consensus best player in the world for at least four seasons now at the age of 24. It's a shame the team has not put adequate talent around him, but it is what it is. I've been a hockey fan for a long time, and I'm not totally ignorant of league history. McDavid is special.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Say Hey Kid

War's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
125Jack StewartD1917CanadaPilot Mound, Manitoba
126Alex DelvecchioC / LW1931CanadaFort William, Ontario
127Vladimir KrutovLW1960RussiaMoscow, Soviet Union
128Pavel DatsyukC1978RussiaSverdlovsk, Soviet Union
129Pavel BureRW1971RussiaMoscow, Soviet Union
130Connor McDavidC1997CanadaRichmond Hill, Ontario
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
... It's a shame the team has not put adequate talent around him, but it is what it is. I've been a hockey fan for a long time, and I'm not totally ignorant of league history. McDavid is special.
Yeah, "Kings of Leon" Draisaitl doesn't have adequate talent. :rolleyes: We're talking about a 24 year old kid with 1 Hart. You guys need to calm down and stop getting so emotional about today's NHL. This is part of the HoH forum.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad