Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I haven't rented this century.

Rent is a scam.

The elites control the chumps by making them pay 35-50% of their salary every month on housing. Absurd.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I haven't rented this century.

Rent is a scam.

The elites control the chumps by making them pay 35-50% of their salary every month on housing. Absurd.

In this area (Ontario), renting has gotten out of control as of late. High demand, massive waiting lists and not enough apartments to go around has driven up the prices to an absurd amount. I know people renting a small 2 bedroom apartment who pay more in monthly rent than the wife and I do for our mortgage. That’s absurd.

I’m seeing tiny 2 bedroom apartments go for $1000+ per month plus utilities. The same places were 700, everything included, just a few years ago. Seriously, many mortgages are cheaper. We have to pay property taxes which add to it, but still.

I’ve heard in the GTA it is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Congratulations, RB! Buying and moving into your first home is such a memorable and rewarding experience. Home ownership is totally worth it. Stressful times of course, but as an investment it’s great to know that your money is actually going into something rather than just the pockets of some rich apartment building owner. The wife and I did the whole apartment thing for about 8 years before we bought our 1st house back in 2013 (now on our 2nd) and although there are always hiccups involved in owning your own home, I wouldn’t want to go back to apartment life. Of course, apartment life has its benefits too and depending on lifestyles it can make more sense for so many people to stay away from home buying, but for us with knowing we would soon be starting a family, home ownership has been a damn godsend.

Enjoy!

Yeah, she had a condo that her mother bought her for school so we've lived here for 3ish years together. I'm looking forward to having my whole book collection together again it's been a while

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Canadians can buy an acre near towns in America for $5000. Tons of options.

It's my retirement plan: 6 months on my land in USA (Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Texas most attractive), six months in Mexico at $200 a month.

Give me plumbing and electricity. I can do the woodwork myself. If there's a stream/river through my property then I guess nix the plumbing requirement. And in terms of electricity, solar is easy & cheap these days!

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
In this area (Ontario), renting has gotten out of control as of late. High demand, massive waiting lists and not enough apartments to go around has driven up the prices to an absurd amount. I know people renting a small 2 bedroom apartment who pay more in monthly rent than the wife and I do for our mortgage. That’s absurd.

I’m seeing tiny 2 bedroom apartments go for $1000+ per month plus utilities. The same places were 700, everything included, just a few years ago. Seriously, many mortgages are cheaper. We have to pay property taxes which add to it, but still.

I’ve heard in the GTA it is beyond ridiculous.

I'm in the GTA and the housing prices here are astronomical. (Do we have any HOH regulars from Vancouver? Not going to complain as it's even worse there).

It's easy to say that renters are getting screwed, but it's also a result of housing prices being astronomical (so the owners need to charge high rents to attempt to cover their costs). My good friend bought a condo in the suburbs. He's charging $2K a month in rent for a two-bedroom condo (which, to me, is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on condo rent in the 'burbs). But the crazy part is, he's actually cash flow negative. (I know this because he invited me to buy another unit in that building, I ran the numbers, and it didn't make any sense, financially). So even at that high rent, he's effectively subsidizing the renter! Unless the economics change significantly, I have no plans of ever owning a rental property in the GTA.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Alex Pietrangelo to Vegas on a long-term deal.

Wow. He’s a guy that I thought would have been a Blue for his entire career. I guess the writing was on the wall though once they brought in Krug. Looking at the big picture, it’s certainly a downgrade. Pietrangelo will be missed on that blueline.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Wow. He’s a guy that I thought would have been a Blue for his entire career. I guess the writing was on the wall though once they brought in Krug. Looking at the big picture, it’s certainly a downgrade. Pietrangelo will be missed on that blueline.

I'm more surprised by Hall to Buffalo, then I read an article that if he Sabres are out of it before the deadline he can controls who he can be traded to and will be making low enough money that most contenders could try and fit him in.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

the wisdom of adding justin faulk and krug in back to back years and losing pietro is completely lost on me

otoh, nate schmidt. cyfbi?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
28287090-31F8-43DF-B4C8-8A5E5ADC782F.jpeg

Freshly published and just arrived in the mail today. It looks fantastic. Hoping it has some great info.

@BenchBrawl, you may be interested in picking up a copy.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Since I enjoy reading the ATD line-up assassinations a lot, the following came to my mind: How about an All-Time Draft All-Time Competition? ATD veterans pick the best teams each one thinks he or she has ever assembled and have a go at each other.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Since I enjoy reading the ATD line-up assassinations a lot, the following came to my mind: How about an All-Time Draft All-Time Competition? ATD veterans pick the best teams each one thinks he or she has ever assembled and have a go at each other.

This is a great idea with a few fatal flaws:
  • The value of any given player changes from year to year, so a team with Frank Nighbor as its #1 center in 2007 would not have been perceived as having a good #1 center; and unless the GM really tried to do a lot of research and push Nighbor to be perceived as he currently is, we cannot give the GM so much credit as if he had truly known how valuable Nighbor was and is, thus it would be unreasonable to assign retrospective value to Nighbor on his team.
  • ATDs don't have a stable number of teams from draft to draft. The teams from a 20 teams draft should theoretically be stronger than a team from a 30 teams draft.
But maybe we could still play around this going by memory alone, and discuss our best teams in some thread in the future.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My favorite team since 2011 is probably Rob's team from 2016.

The Top 6 was mystifying:

Krutov-Boucher-Hull
Foyston-Barry-Bathgate

With a big three on defense of:

Goodfellow-Harvey
Boucher-X

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
My favorite team since 2011 is probably Rob's team from 2016.

The Top 6 was mystifying:

Krutov-Boucher-Hull
Foyston-Barry-Bathgate

With a big three on defense of:

Goodfellow-Harvey
Boucher-X

How? How do you get Harvey and Hull?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Oh duh. Makes more sense now.

You had to be there to admire the beauty of that lineup. In real time it was amazing, because he waited so long to draft both his LWers, so for a while he had a Top 6 of:

X-Boucher-Hull
X-Barry-Bathgate

And he kept procrastinating for his LWers while building his blueline, then drafted Krutov and Foyston almost back-to-back (his picks were near the tail-end of the serpentine draft order), and once he did that the draft was his to lose. Then he build a solid 3rd line of Jiri Holik - Ivan Hlinka - Bob Nevin and drafted a great coach in Lester Patrick. His goalie was weak though, Grant Fuhr. He still comfortably won the championship, which was his second in a row (only GM with Sturminator to win back-to-back ATDs). So to do that as the defending champ was spectacular.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Gord Kluzak was drafted before Brian Bellows, Ron Sutter, Scott Stevens, Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, Pat Verbeek, Ray Ferraro, and Doug Gilmour.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
For @TheDevilMadeMe or @BM67 (or anyone else who might remember) -

I was looking something up from the 2000 playoffs and happened to notice that Claude Lemieux led the Devils forwards in ice time that spring, despite only scoring 10 points. He was 4th in PP TOI, 3rd in SH TOI, and very nearly 1st on the team in TOI despite minimal offense. (He scored 5 ES points in 346 ES minutes - 0.87 ES pts/60).

Why did he get so much icetime despite such poor production? Was it a matter of Robinson playing the proven veteran, hoping his offense would eventually click? Was Lemieux used in more of a defense role? (His heavy PK team suggests that might be the case - but five of his points were with Elias/Mogilny/Gomez, and only three of his points were with Holik/Madden/Pandolfo, which contradicts that theory).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
For @TheDevilMadeMe or @BM67 (or anyone else who might remember) -

I was looking something up from the 2000 playoffs and happened to notice that Claude Lemieux led the Devils forwards in ice time that spring, despite only scoring 10 points. He was 4th in PP TOI, 3rd in SH TOI, and very nearly 1st on the team in TOI despite minimal offense. (He scored 5 ES points in 346 ES minutes - 0.87 ES pts/60).

Why did he get so much icetime despite such poor production? Was it a matter of Robinson playing the proven veteran, hoping his offense would eventually click? Was Lemieux used in more of a defense role? (His heavy PK team suggests that might be the case - but five of his points were with Elias/Mogilny/Gomez, and only three of his points were with Holik/Madden/Pandolfo, which contradicts that theory).

At even strength, the Devils more or less rolled 4 lines, and Lemieux was one of the few players on the team to receive significant minutes on both special teams. From memory, these were the most common lines:

Elias - Arnott - Sykora
X - Gomez - Mogilny
X - Holik - McKay
Pandolfo - Madden - X

X was some mix of Claude Lemieux, Sergei Brylin, and Sergei Nemchinov, with Steve Kelly the main injury replacement.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
At even strength, the Devils more or less rolled 4 lines, and Lemieux was one of the few players on the team to receive significant minutes on both special teams. From memory, these were the most common lines:

Elias - Arnott - Sykora
X - Gomez - Mogilny
X - Holik - McKay
Pandolfo - Madden - X

X was some mix of Claude Lemieux, Sergei Brylin, and Sergei Nemchinov, with Steve Kelly the main injury replacement.

NJ's forward group from that era is so underrated.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad