ATD Chat Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
NY has a ton of talent on the flanks but nothing down the middle to make it all work.
cut.jpg

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
What is the most underrated genre of rock music? I think it's popular mainstream rock including hard rock, heavy metal, and progressive. I'll make a list of some bands I don't think are bad and post where Rolling Stone has them ranked in their top 100 artists. Now that I'm done according to Rolling Stone The Police are better than all these bands! :laugh:

AC/DC - 72
Black Sabbath - 85
Bob Seger - Unrated!
Dire Straits - Unrated!
Judas Priest - Unrated!
Ozzy Osbourne - Unrated!
(solo artist) Pete Townsend - Unrated!
Rush - Unrated!
Van Halen - Unrated!

I never understood how bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead and Soundgarden aren't in the R&R Hall of Fame, but 2Pac, NWA, Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys are. (I have nothing against rap but how is 2Pac more significant to rock and roll history than Motorhead)? If it was a popular music hall of fame, fine, but that's not the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Today has been crazy for me, so, ... let me get it out there....

THE MOST COMPLETE player in each sport is...

Russell Wilson, football.
Steve Yzerman, hockey.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, basketball.
Ken Griffey Jr., baseball.

By "complete" i mean all skill set, not necessarily the greatest player in each sport, in fact, none of them are considered the GOAT, but each have claim to the quotient of range of offensive and defensive skills.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Watching Ken Griffey Jr. play in-person at Olympic Stadium in Montreal is still my biggest personal baseball thrill. He was with the Reds and no longer in his prime by that point, but he still had a certain “aura” about him. He hit an absolute bomb that night and since he was my favourite player growing up in the early 90’s I jumped up and cheered the home run even though I was rooting for my Expos. Pretty sure I was the only one in the stadium standing and clapping. :laugh:

Man was his swing ever pretty. Just about as perfect and fluid as they come.

Watching Roger Clemens pitch in Toronto was another thrill.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
My fav Expos player was Vladimir Guerrero, whom i traveled to Montreal to see, but I did go to Seattle to see Griffey Jr., so I get it.

I watched Roger get pulled TWICE in losses in Toronto. Ugh.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My fav Expos player was Vladimir Guerrero, whom i traveled to Montreal to see, but I did go to Seattle to see Griffey Jr., so I get it.

He was great ! Used to go watch him all the time (I live near the Olympic Stadium; we even used to go drink alcohol there at night in my youth; the night security guard let us do it as long as we cleaned before leaving).

Reactions: Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

I watched Roger get pulled TWICE in losses in Toronto. Ugh.

Vladdy was another guy I loved watching. He was definitely loved in Montreal.

My mouth is watering just thinking of the salty jumbo soft pretzels at Olympic Stadium. :eek:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Washington looks like trash so there is a silver lining this hockey season. :laugh:

Honestly though. The Islanders play a very boring style but they are GREAT at what they do. Trotz has really found his stride as a coach.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
I was scared when i saw the matchup because the Caps traded away Varlamov and kept Holtby. I had more confidence in Varlamov and hated the trade, though the 1st rounder in the trade turned into Filip Forsberg.

Varlamov has something to prove, and he is doing it. He's as good as Holtby if not better.

Still, if the hat trick clinching shot hadn't gone wide and Vrana hadn't coughed up the puck on the breakaway goal against, the Caps could have evened the series.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
I just saw an old bit with Dennis Miller and Norm MacDonald and remember how i LOATHED MacDonald but LOVED Miller.

This shows how Miller was one of the most articulate scathing comedians of all time:

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Y'all need to wake up as to how good Hedman is. If he were in a traditional market he'd win the Norris every year.

53 shot attempts against in what is basically 5 games worth of ice time. That is legitimately insane.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
The 6'6 tall Hedman has an assist in two of his last four games.

He barely holds the jockstrap of Shea Weber this postseason.

Seriously.

Weber is HHOF material.
Hedman is also-ran.

Aren't we watching the same games?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Anyone knows why Frank Foyston was called "The Flash"? Was it simply because of his speed? And if so, does anyone have a newspaper source of this claim regarding his supposed speed? Reason I'm asking is because Lester Patrick claimed he "lacked color" in a 1950 interview, so from Patrick's perspective at least he couldn't have been super flashy, if the sense of the nickname relates to general "flash".

I think (hope) you get the picture.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You don't have to (try to) answer, looked it up myself. Apparently he was pretty fast. In the west coast papers though the "Flash" nickname almost always went with a "blonde" or "flaxen-haired" prefix. It also says he made pretty plays. I guess you can make pretty plays without bringing people out of their seats. Or Lester is just bullshitting us.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
The 6'6 tall Hedman has an assist in two of his last four games.

He barely holds the jockstrap of Shea Weber this postseason.

Seriously.

Weber is HHOF material.
Hedman is also-ran.

Aren't we watching the same games?

You're cracking me up. Hedman's the best defenseman in the league right now, by a fair margin too. Last playoffs when Tampa put up that iconic belly splash against CBJ it was because Hedman was injured, and the team looked like a provoked and disillusioned anthill as a result. Should tell you everything. Now he's playing (Stamkos isn't though, which doesn't seem to affect the team negatively at all) and they're looking all good at the moment against Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->