May 13, 2003
Ontario
$3 thrift store find!

D67A5F3F-365E-456A-83E7-F57FA98CDD9E.jpeg

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I taught a class two weeks ago the story of the woman who bought a painting at a thrift store and it turned out to be a Jackson Pollock that a guy later offered $9 million for, but ended up in a Canadian art gallery with a $50 million price tag.

I'd rather have the Punch Imlach book.

Reactions: Habsfan18

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
70% of what i can do.is banned until mid october. I can't start a thread (some i want to), i can't like anything, i can't follow or track anything, i can't receive notifications... i am on an island for three months because drunkass me back in early august on vacay posted **** i can't recall!!!! Ugh.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
70% of what i can do.is banned until mid october. I can't start a thread (some i want to), i can't like anything, i can't follow or track anything, i can't receive notifications... i am on an island for three months because drunkass me back in early august on vacay posted **** i can't recall!!!! Ugh.

Where did you holiday?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
To be clear, I thought a half dozen defensemen had better years than Hedman, though he is one of few left standing.

Josi, Hamilton, Carlson, and now Heiskanen have IMPRESSED me more than Hedman.

Hedman ain't no Bourque or Lidstrom. He might be a rich man's Rob Blake or poor man's Chris Pronger. Yeah, that's his window. That puts him on a HHOF path...

Yet,...

Of course, what separates the wheat (HHOFers) from the chaff (also-rans) is consistency and brilliance in championships. On that front, the jury is out.

EDIT: Someone else took Shea Weber 102nd in ATD 2020 and I applauded it then and since. Hedman ain't in the same tier i thought, though, again, dang, the jury has to be out given his play most recently... i ain't no scout; i am a student of hockey history, more often than not, though I also use my eyes and brain. Usually sober, sometimes not. (Dang smartphone! Tell me you haven't ever texted at 2am in bed on your smartphone?!)

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am so pissed...

At 2am Sunday morning here in South Korea I watched NCAA football's Navy (a team i've always cheered for) go down 0-24 and then tuned out but just got updated that Navy came back to win 27-24 on a late field goal that broke a tie.

AH.... That is the sort of game you get once a year in sports. Dang.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
As per nhl.com, all six members of the 2020 NHL First AS Team are making their career debut on the squad for the first time since NHL postseason All-Star Team selection began in 1930-31

And only 3 of the 6 had been 2nd Teamers previously

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The McDavid/Draisaitl ATD value watch

McDavid
Hart: 1, 3, 5, 5
AST: 1, 1, 1, 3
Lindsay: 1, 1

18 Points in 19 Playoff/Play-in games

Draisatil
Hart: 1
AST: 1, 4/8, 4/8
Lindsay: 1

22 Points in 19 Playoff/Play-in games

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Glad Tampa won. The pressure was high on them to win before their window closed.

It also gives some street cred to a few ATDers like Hedman and Kucherov (and eventually Point?).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I would have voted 1) Point 2) Hedman 3) Kucherov for the Conn Smythe because I tend to give more weight to the finals than the actual voters, but I have no problems with Hedman winning it.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Victor Hedman now sports a Norris record of 1, 3, 3, 3, 7, 9.

He also has four deep runs including a Conn Smythe.

Compare that to another 2nd overall defenseman Drew Doughty, whose Norris record is: 1, 2, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10, with three consecutive deep runs including two which arguably should have been Smythes (especially in 2014 where IMO he was the easy winner).

It is getting close.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I would have voted 1) Point 2) Hedman 3) Kucherov for the Conn Smythe because I tend to give more weight to the finals than the actual voters, but I have no problems with Hedman winning it.

Point was their best player in the Finals for sure. Overall though, still think Hedman was the most impactful over the course of the playoffs.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Palat was incredible, too.

The entire Palat - Point - Kucherov line was epic!

Seriously. The story of THE LINE's greatness has yet to be adequately written.

Hedman is the pre-playoffs biggest name and IS among the top-3 candidates, so winning the trophy isn't a travesty. After all, that's how Crosby won his Conn Smythes.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
My girlfriend and I have bought our first place together and I've been on hold for literally 4 hours to complete my home insurance quote.

They "close" in 3 hours and I am not confident they will answer my call before then

What a f***ing waste of a Saturday

I almost pity what poor sucker answers my call because it will not be pleasant

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Congratulations, RB! Buying and moving into your first home is such a memorable and rewarding experience. Home ownership is totally worth it. Stressful times of course, but as an investment it’s great to know that your money is actually going into something rather than just the pockets of some rich apartment building owner. The wife and I did the whole apartment thing for about 8 years before we bought our 1st house back in 2013 (now on our 2nd) and although there are always hiccups involved in owning your own home, I wouldn’t want to go back to apartment life. Of course, apartment life has its benefits too and depending on lifestyles it can make more sense for so many people to stay away from home buying, but for us with knowing we would soon be starting a family, home ownership has been a damn godsend.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad