ATD Chat Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Drouin is the perfect example of an all tools with no toolbox type of player. So skilled, yet such a garbage player. If that makes sense?

If he truly wanted, he could be a dominant offensive player. He just doesn’t have it. The skills of a 90 point player but the execution and production of a 40 point guy.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Crosby.

Shot block. Puck retrieval in the D zone.

Outlet pass, skates his ass off 175 feet.

Retrieves on flight and snaps it 5 hole.

He's still the best player in hockey.

Roll your eyes if you want.

Just tied Gordie in goals scored in the postseason as well. Tip of the cap sir.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It was all my callout, he was reading the chat thread and told himself he was going to show me that he can play with any intensity at ES

He's such a treat to watch from a pure entertainment standpoint. Fastest skater I've ever seen with the puck on his stick. Vision is on par with Sid's. Just a handful of players in history that have that 6th sense and play the game, at least offensively, like a chess master. They see the game flow 3 and 4 steps ahead of the comp.

One area McD really needs to improve, and this is so overlooked among C's, by the casual fan is his draws. For an elite C he's awful in the dot which is odd to me given his reflexes and hand speed. The other stuff, like defensive awareness and strength on the puck will come with time, especially as he slows down and needs to adopt a more overall game.

But yeah, when he's on, he's literally unstoppable. I don't get to see as much of him being on the other side of North America but damn I do enjoy watching him skate/play when the times line up.

Hopefully Edmonton gets the ship righted and he doesn't feel the pull to leave. I'd have been devastated had Pittsburgh screwed around with 87 in the early years and pissed him off enough that he would have possibly entertained leaving.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The biggest thing he needs to work on, is the play in his own zone. He makes such careless plays when he comes back to support the defence. In game 1, he just like softly chipped to behind the net that got immediately intercepted leading to a goal.

It's so frustrating

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The biggest thing he needs to work on, is the play in his own zone. He makes such careless plays when he comes back to support the defence. In game 1, he just like softly chipped to behind the net that got immediately intercepted leading to a goal.

It's so frustrating

Yeah, I saw that one. That's flat out effort. If you're behind the net and the only option is up the boards it needs to be hammered. He'll get better as long as he wants to. If the work ethic is there, I have little doubt 97 will improve defensively. And I think he's that sort of player. He doesn't strike me as a complacent worker. He has his lapses like most young guys, even stars do.

I want to see him get stronger on the puck as far as board battles and strength with it on his stick. At some point, the speed will start to wane and you won't be able to just fly by people.

That's one of a handful of things that Crosby is in the legendary class of. His lower body strength is just insane. He's not exactly a big player (not small) but his legs especially are freaking massive. Jagr was like that, though he had the size going for him. There's something so gritty yet beautiful watching a player on the cycle, keeping the puck off a defender(s) with nothing but his strength, balance and stick handling.

McD has plenty enough size I think he can get to that level. But right now he doesn't need it w/ that speed. Arguably the fastest skater in NHL history.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Got another Gordie Howe signed book in the mail today. That’s 4 in the collection now.

There was a Goodwill sticker on the back for $2.99. Meaning that someone bought it brand new only to donate it to Goodwill, then someone else paid $3 for a Howe signed book there, and then also chose to give it away..since I bought it from Thriftbooks. Geeze, show the man some respect. :laugh:

07185F69-CE94-4216-B21F-EF9080C16162.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
As an ATDer, I think Winnipeg should really move Matthieu Perrault down a line with Bourque and Shore.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'd be so pissed if I were a Pittsburgh fan... losing to a team that really has no business in the playoffs.

But really, Pittsburgh should have played better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad