ATD Chat Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
(The Rags add Panarin to Kakko and Trouba...)

FRANCHISE HISTORIC NEWS:

The Preds have their best 2nd line center ever in Duchene!!!!

They had Arnott and Legwand for years plus for 17 games a rental in Petr Forsberg... but center was never a team strength, until now...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
(The Rags add Panarin to Kakko and Trouba...)

FRANCHISE HISTORIC NEWS:

The Preds have their best 2nd line center ever in Duchene!!!!

They had Arnott and Legwand for years plus for 17 games a rental in Petr Forsberg... but center was never a team strength, until now...

Are you sure it's not "The Preds have their best 2nd line center ever in Johansen!!!!" ?

Reactions: VanIslander

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Intrigued by Bergevin's move to offersheet Aho.

Montreal are in a rebuild, but it's an on-the-fly rebuild.They managed to put together a strong prospect pool very fast without losing too much, made a few good trades and now here we are.The prospects shouldn't be here for at least 3-4 years as impact players, so in the meanwhile MTL is in limbo = nothing to lose.

Aho in Montreal without losing any prospect would be big.

OTOH, if Carolina doesn't sign this they might as well pack it in and relocate.As far as I understand Montreal front-loaded the contract with crazy bonuses that Carolina might struggle to pay, which is a way to gain an edge for a deep pocket team.But I'm out of the loop on the rules.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If you're a Carolina fan, coming off the year they and Aho had, and your team lets him walk, you've got to be pissed.

You go from a Cup contender to a fringe playoff team.

Don't be cheap.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Intrigued by Bergevin's move to offersheet Aho.

Montreal are in a rebuild, but it's an on-the-fly rebuild.They managed to put together a strong prospect pool very fast without losing too much, made a few good trades and now here we are.The prospects shouldn't be here for at least 3-4 years as impact players, so in the meanwhile MTL is in limbo = nothing to lose.

Aho in Montreal without losing any prospect would be big.

OTOH, if Carolina doesn't sign this they might as well pack it in and relocate.As far as I understand Montreal front-loaded the contract with crazy bonuses that Carolina might struggle to pay, which is a way to gain an edge for a deep pocket team.But I'm out of the loop on the rules.

Aho would get 21 million in year 1. That's more than Carolina's total ticket sales last season. Their owner is loaded though, so he could easily afford to pay it.

Aho at under 8.5 is unbelievable value. That's a kick in the dick for Marner's leverage.

Reactions: seventieslord

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Aho would get 21 million in year 1. That's more than Carolina's total ticket sales last season. Their owner is loaded though, so he could easily afford to pay it.

Aho at under 8.5 is unbelievable value. That's a kick in the dick for Marner's leverage.

Isn't the owner in some sort of huge legal battle right now? Also from what I understand he hates that type of contract.Bergevin probably knew all of this from Aho's agent, and maybe from Molson.

Also, the owner doesn't seem like he's well-connected NHL-wise.So he could pay it, but does he want to?

If it works it's a genius move from Bergevin.

Bergevin has been a real shark in the last 2 years or something, making strong moves after strong moves.Even the Weber-Subban trade looks better and better in retrospective, and assuming we probably don't know the real story of why he traded a very popular Norris-winning defenseman in his absolute prime just 10 days before the NMC kicked in (or something like that).

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Isn't the owner in some sort of huge legal battle right now? Also from what I understand he hates that type of contract.Bergevin probably knew all of this from Aho's agent, and maybe from Molson.

Also, the owner doesn't seem like he's well-connected NHL-wise.So he could pay it, but does he want to?

If it works it's a genius move from Bergevin.

Bergevin has been a real shark in the last 2 years or something, making strong moves after strong moves.

Oh, this is a smart gamble my Montreal. I don't see how Carolina doesn't match though - that's such a good contract, despite the early bonus.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Oh, this is a smart gamble my Montreal. I don't see how Carolina doesn't match though - that's such a good contract, despite the early bonus.

Probably yeah.We shall see.

Maybe there are more factors related to the owner we don't know, but that Molson knows.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I used the ol' journalistic nose to sniff around online and can now predict:

Palm Springs Totems will be the Seattle AHL farm team nickname.

Why?

Well, the colors of the Palm Springs government website are the same salmon and green as the official NHL Seattle website!!

And Palm Springs has a famous totem pole by legendary First Nations carver Hunt, a gift from Victoria, B.C., which is the sister city officially to Palm Springs, the totem refurbished three years ago, standing in the middle of a park in PS.

And the new hockey facilities in PS will be built on tribal land!!

And the Seattle franchise president Tim L. repeatedly talked about the fans' choice of Totems in a press conference.

(It doesn't hurt that majority owner DB is on a few board of directors for organizations that support the preservation of land including First Nations lands - yeah the irony of he having approved the ahl affiliate to be built on tribal land doesn't escape me.)

All of these tidbits of fact i collected from my web surfing/hunting.

It also helps explain how the co-owner JB is a fan boy of Kraken and the use of a deep blood red and black in many official things: initial announcement jersey, later free ski caps and tshirts and later mock arena pic with the execs in front, the bold red and black behind (not the orangy or salmonlike reds). The blood red and black have been featured in at least two Kraken jersey designs. (Adjunct supporting tidbit: A poll put on the official website heavily suggests in its inquiry to gain votes on mythical option, sea creature option, something to eat Canucks option.) But of the NHL team name i've less suggestive evidence than the affiliate's.

That said, i believe the official Seattle website salmon and light shade of green is to in part maybe throw off suspicion of Kraken, muddy the waters more and keep speculation going, as in fact they will likely use BOTH Kraken and Totems, ... for the nhl and ahl teams.

A theory.

Alternatively, there is a theme possibility: Sockeyes for the nhl club with native art imagery for the fish logo (a few examples exist that look promising).. Sockeyes (black eye, red blood) with Totems as ahl fits with most of what i researched.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Carolina is matching the Habs offer sheet for Aho.

Good.

Are they? I mean probably they will, but all I see is Dundon and Waddell talk big yet still no actual ink on paper.

Many said this is to piss off Montreal to make them wait, but I don't buy it.Montreal have enough money left to sign whoever they want right now, even this week tied with the Aho situation.The wait doesn't hurt Montreal, but it makes Carolina look bad, as if they're all talk but can't deliver or at least are struggling to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Are they? I mean probably they will, but all I see is Dundon and Waddell talk big yet still no actual ink on paper.

Many said this is to piss off Montreal to make them wait, but I don't buy it.Montreal have enough money left to sign whoever they want right now, even this week tied with the Aho situation.The wait doesn't hurt Montreal, but it makes Carolina look bad, as if they're all talk but can't deliver or at least are struggling to do so.

As I said before, if Carolina lets Aho walk for a couple of draft picks, they're going to lose fans. I'd be furious if the face of the franchise was allowed to walk over a contract that frankly isn't THAT outrageous.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
As I said before, if Carolina lets Aho walk for a couple of draft picks, they're going to lose fans. I'd be furious if the face of the franchise was allowed to walk over a contract that frankly isn't THAT outrageous.

Well, you still need to have that 21 millions.Dundon says it's nothing for him, OK.Do it then.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Well, you still need to have that 21 millions.Dundon says it's nothing for him, OK.Do it then.

Plus how bad does it make the franchise look in Aho's eyes? If you're a star player you better hope the team that drafted you, brought you along, etc, is quick to put money where their mouth is. Pony up the cash or lose fans and more games because you were cheap.

I mean I don't blame Aho for signing the tender. It'd be a great pay day at a young age and you'd be going to a more rabid hockey environment (with that comes pressure of course).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Plus how bad does it make the franchise look in Aho's eyes? If you're a star player you better hope the team that drafted you, brought you along, etc, is quick to put money where their mouth is. Pony up the cash or lose fans and more games because you were cheap.

I mean I don't blame Aho for signing the tender. It'd be a great pay day at a young age and you'd be going to a more rabid hockey environment (with that comes pressure of course).
Agreed

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
There are 271 players in the HHOF.
This is per 'wiki.'

Per the HHoF web-site, the number is 280.

When 2019 gets rendered official, I guess the new number will be 284.

Of those 284, 7 are women.

So... 277 male members of the Hall of Fame. Too many? maybe- by a little bit-- but 100 would be too fricking few.

Whaddaya want? One induction every year?!?

Niedermayer, Doug Bentley, Jean Ratelle, Perhaps even Bernie Parent(!) These are among the names who might not make the grade in a Hall of Fame of 100. I don't think the Hall would be a richer place without them...

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I could care less if we went 5 years without an induction. Every year I have to watch as multiple low hanging fruit ends up in Toronto. All it does is make a mockery of the games greatest players. Like I said, it mirrors the degradation of exceptionalism in our world today. We have lowered the bar everywhere. The HOF is no different now.

Players who were never in consideration for best at their position at any part of their career should not be in the HOF.

That's the last I'll opinion on the matter.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Carbonneau was an EXCEPTIONAL defensive forward!

Tikkanen was an exceptional agitator, shadow and clutch performer at some big moments.

Federko was an exceptional passer without a lot of quality players to pass to.

Langway was an exceptional defensive defenseman.

Billy Smith was an exceptionally clutch playoff goalie.

Some of the aforementioned are not in the Hall but should be imo exactly because of their exceptional aspects!

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Carbonneau was an EXCEPTIONAL defensive forward! - Bobby Clarke was an EXCEPTIONAL defensive forward. He was also elite offensively and was a league MVP. 3 times.

Tikkanen was an exceptional agitator, shadow and clutch performer at some big moments. - He also never won a single major award, never once led the league in any major statistical category, wasn't even a point per game player on a stacked Edmonton team in the highest scoring era in league history. He was a good defensive winger which are a dime a dozen throughout hockey history. He won 5 Cups. That is literally the only reason one could argue on his behalf, which would be absurd. Any person can find numerous players that fits this bill throughout history, but often without the luxury of having played on a dynasty.

Federko was an exceptional passer without a lot of quality players to pass to. - Were Joe Mullen and Brian Sutter better/worse than Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz? Because the latter 2 were long term wingers at even strength for some dude named Crosby.

Langway was an exceptional defensive defenseman. - Langway is about the bottom of where I'd go for a HOF'er. He at least has multiple Norris trophies and AS nods. He was considered by some to be the best pure defensemen on the back side of center ice, for a pretty decent period of time.

Billy Smith was an exceptionally clutch playoff goalie. - But never won a Smythe, wasn't a workhorse starter in the regular season, ever. His resume is about Cup wins. Take those away and are we still having a discussion? I agree he was a clutch goalie, but that's not enough to get into the Hall, IMO.

Some of the aforementioned are not in the Hall but should be imo exactly because of their exceptional aspects!

I'm bored.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
So,...

This site was down for days to "update" it to make us click extra to READ MORE?

Ugh.

Accommodating smartphones? Isn't processing speed fast enough with 3G, 4G, heck 5G soon widely available?

Gawd, the Golden Age of websites has certainly passed us by.

Monetize, streamline, sensationalize... nothing of quality has come of that.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So,...

This site was down for days to "update" it to make us click extra to READ MORE?

Ugh.

Accommodating smartphones? Isn't processing speed fast enough with 3G, 4G, heck 5G soon widely available?

Gawd, the Golden Age of websites has certainly passed us by.

Monetize, streamline, sensationalize... nothing of quality has come of that.

Is there anything of quality online right now?

EVERYTHING is dumbed down and inundated by the plebe. Also EVERYTHING is uglier than it used to be because of smart phones. Worst invention of all-time in that it killed the internet, itself one of the greatest invention of all-time.

Every month before paying my bill I stop and ponder - is this still worth it? Can't I just go online once a week in a cafe to download music and things I need and the hell with the rest? It's coming.

Reactions: VanIslander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad