ATD Chat Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Well, the Internet is certainly slower these days in South Korea. Ten years ago it was top-3 in speed. There was zero seconds waiting for loading. Nowadays it's back to at least triple-blink time instead of instant access.

And all these "updates"... some of them involve sending info from your computer. Remember the "glitch" with newer Microsoft programs with backdoor access to your computer? Now audio is being recorded and uploaded without your awareness. I'm not the most paranoid person, but the political and industrial ramifications for some of these technological "developments" are scary, and that's not even including the Chinese government efforts.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Well, the Internet is certainly slower these days in South Korea. Ten years ago it was top-3 in speed. There was zero seconds waiting for loading. Nowadays it's back to at least triple-blink time instead of instant access.

And all these "updates"... some of them involve sending info from your computer. Remember the "glitch" with newer Microsoft programs with backdoor access to your computer? Now audio is being recorded and uploaded without your awareness. I'm not the most paranoid person, but the political and industrial ramifications for some of these technological "developments" are scary, and that's not even including the Chinese government efforts.

I agree.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
What about Star Trek TNG? From season 3 to 7 there were fillers but even most of those were good.

Is there any TV series that topped TNG? I don't think so.

Granted I'm also huge on sci-fi, my favorite movie was 2001.

Season 7 had some clunkers, but I agree with you for the most part. Star Trek TNG is probably my favorite show ever. But even Ronald D. Moore openly talked about how they ran out of ideas before coming up with 25 or so episodes a season.

Have you watched The Expanse on Amazon? It's the best "stuff happens in space" show I've seen since... well, Star Trek TNG. Really tight 10-13 episode seasons too. Probably the most realistic "stuff happens in space in the future" show I've ever seen, from the space physics to the politics.

I really liked Orphan Black too, but that is an "on earth" sci fi series, not an "in space" one.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Season 7 had some clunkers, but I agree with you for the most part. Star Trek TNG is probably my favorite show ever. But even Ronald D. Moore openly talked about how they ran out of ideas before coming up with 25 or so episodes a season.

Have you watched The Expanse on Amazon? It's the best "stuff happens and space" show I've seen since... well, Star Trek TNG. Really tight 10-13 episode seasons too. I really liked Orphan Black too, but that is an "on earth" sci fi series, not an "in space" one.

I liked those episodes from season 7.Like the one where the Enterprise becomes alive.

Haven't seen, or even heard of, those two shows.Granted I haven't kept myself informed at all.I might check it out.

As I get older, I'm more hesitant to commit to a TV series, as it is a huge time sink and I can't afford to watch something ''merely good'' for hours and hours.

But if you say it's the best since TNG... that sparks my interest.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Haven't seen, or even heard of, those two shows.Granted I haven't kept myself informed at all.I might check it out.

As I get older, I'm more hesitant to commit to a TV series, as it is a huge time sink and I can't afford to watch something ''merely good'' for hours and hours.

But if you say it's the best since TNG... that sparks my interest.

Me too - it takes a lot of convincing for my girlfriend to convince me to commit to a new series.

But if you like space themed sci fi, the Expanse is just so good. It takes a few episodes before it really gets going but once it does...

It even has some 2001-esque sequences in seasons 2 and 3.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What about Star Trek TNG? From season 3 to 7 there were fillers but even most of those were good.

Is there any TV series that topped TNG? I don't think so, but I stopped watching TV a few years ago.

Granted I'm also huge on sci-fi, my favorite movie was 2001.
DS9 was better than TNG.

#comeatmebro

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Again I should probably post this in the chat thread...

But I think that seasons 1 and 2 drag TNG down so much that it's not crazy to call DS9 better. Especially Season 1. But seasons 3-6 of TNG was the best string of Star Trek ever made by a wide margin.

Reactions: VanIslander

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
go **** yourself mother****er

:lol:
I don't like most of the TNG cast. Picard is great. LaForge is fine if bland. Data was largely handled well. Outside of that there's Worf (boring), Dr. Crusher (awful), Riker (poor man's Kirk), Troi (complete garbage), Wesley (lol where do I begin), Tasha Yar (died in the first season and still was around for too long). The show was carried by Stewart.

DS9 has a much better cast top to bottom, and explores their personalities much better than "let's go to the holodeck for an episode to give these guys depth" episodes that TNG relied on.

I think I hate Troi the most. "I'M GOING TO BLOW THE ENTERPRISE OUT OF SPACE!" says generic alien. "I sense aggression from him, Captain."

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Me too - it takes a lot of convincing for my girlfriend to convince me to commit to a new series.

But if you like space themed sci fi, the Expanse is just so good. It takes a few episodes before it really gets going but once it does...

It even has some 2001-esque sequences in seasons 2 and 3.

I will look into it.

What I like is space, but also a ''metaphysical'' vibe.Space alone doesn't cut it.This is why 2001 was the best, most metaphysical movie I ever saw.TNG wasn't that metaphysical (though the intro music was lol), but it approached it.

Stripped to its essence, TNG was Picard, Data, Worf and a few outstanding guess like Q, in space exploration.And it worked.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yeah. I commit to a tv series after a season is over or the show is all finished.

I learned that lesson from the agony of following each week: Lost. Ugh.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yeah. I commit to a tv series after a season is over or the show is all finished.

I learned that lesson from the agony of following each week: Lost. Ugh.

Lost will forever be known as the show with a finale so bad that it retroactively ruined everything that came before.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I will look into it.

What I like is space, but also a ''metaphysical'' vibe.Space alone doesn't cut it.This is why 2001 was the best, most metaphysical movie I ever saw.TNG wasn't that metaphysical (though the intro music was lol), but it approached it.

Stripped to its essence, TNG was Picard, Data, Worf and a few outstanding guess like Q, in space exploration.And it worked.
Expanse is pretty good, but I would temper your expectations a bit. Star Trek this ain't. It's kind of... I don't know, it doesn't completely do it for me.

A lot of it is the geopolitics (heh) between Mars, Earth, and residents of the asteroid belt. And then there's a lot of Dutch angles and serious faces. I don't think it ever takes a breath to make you connect to the characters in a meaningful way, but that's me.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Back in the 2000s I was younger and I watched a lot of TV shows from beginning to end.This was the era where TV shows was the new game in town after The Sopranos and The Wire kicked in the door for the medium.

The Sopranos was very good and I don't regret watching it.

But the other shows, like The Wire, House MD, The Shield, Breaking Bad, and so many others, while good, could've been time better spent.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Responding to this is beneath my dignity as a human being.

giphy.gif

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Expanse is pretty good, but I would temper your expectations a bit. Star Trek this ain't. It's kind of... I don't know, it doesn't completely do it for me.

A lot of it is the geopolitics (heh) between Mars, Earth, and residents of the asteroid belt. And then there's a lot of Dutch angles and serious faces. I don't think it ever takes a breath to make you connect to the characters in a meaningful way, but that's me.

Guess I'll have to see for myself.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't like most of the TNG cast. Picard is great. LaForge is fine if bland. Data was largely handled well. Outside of that there's Worf (boring), Dr. Crusher (awful), Riker (poor man's Kirk), Troi (complete garbage), Wesley (lol where do I begin), Tasha Yar (died in the first season and still was around for too long). The show was carried by Stewart.

DS9 has a much better cast top to bottom, and explores their personalities much better than "let's go to the holodeck for an episode to give these guys depth" episodes that TNG relied on.

I think I hate Troi the most. "I'M GOING TO BLOW THE ENTERPRISE OUT OF SPACE!" says generic alien. "I sense aggression from him, Captain."

Worf boring? Wtf? Worf is one of the most interesting character.

Riker is indeed a poor man's Kirk, and he's basically just a pawn to be used.He's decoration.La Forge is OK nothing more.

The show is Picard, Data and Worf, + Q and some outstanding guess.

Troi was there cause she was good looking.

Reactions: seventieslord

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
see also, Battlestar Galactica

Haha, I hated the ending of that show too, but at least it mostly tied up loose ends.. Not always successfully by any means. But it least it didn't render meaningless what had previously made the show interesting. So much of Lost just went nowhere... But at least everyone hugged at the end!

Big difference between The Expanse and Battlestar is that The Expanse is based on a series of books so they aren't just making it up as they go along.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Yes, it has a game of thrones like political dimension for sure. I personally love it but it's not for everyone.

Only problem with the expanse is that the main actors aren't amazing like other shows. They are adequate... But nothing like Patrick Stewart or the guy who played Adama or the woman who played the President. Edit: Amos and Alex are great but they are basically sidekicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad