ATD #9 Sign-up and Preliminary Discussion

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
an experienced drafter from ATD#3 is coming back and will g.m. the same franchise he did before :yo:

he responded to my PM invite in the affirmative and I told him to post it here

i am so jacked...

oh i can't wait: monster_bertuzzi will g.m. the Vancouver Millionaires :handclap:

Last edited:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Also, I would really like to see a division named the René Lecavalier division. He's up there with Foster Hewitt as the best announcer ever in Canada and to be honest, I hate to see the Don Cherry division. If Cherry is there, we need someone to balance it out. Also, Cherry could be considered as a coach in the ATD, MLD or AAA so I think we should rule him out.

I would also like to support a Rene Lecavalier division in the process.
I'm fine with it as well.
The best would be the René Lecavalier division...
Yeh, Cherry is a buffoon. Replace him with LaCavalier. Also would like to see Gallivan in there, Replace Cole with gallivan. nothing against Cole but Gallivan is better.
I'll give a vote to retain the Don Cherry Division. Love him or hate him, he's one of the icons of the game. He's a passionate backer of Canadian hockey, and the people who deserve our support the most - our soldiers and our police officers. Millions of fans have grown up with him at intermission.

6 For
1 Against. Anyone else?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
why not change all of the names of the divisions every year?
Too much of a whip.

I vote against this change, with caveats.

Foster Hewitt, Don Cherry, Jim Robson and Bob Cole are all broadcasters. You've gotta have broadcasters. A broadcaster is a voice you know and -- sometimes -- a face. Broadcasters talk to you personally 82 times a season.

Milt Dunnell, Red Fisher and Jim Coleman are all writers. Writers suck. You don't know their voice or their face -- just their typewriter. You read their opinions the next day, the emotions dulled by time and possibly even altered by an editor. Broadcasters are your friend on the radio who watches the game with you.

If your team's local beat writer was replaced and nobody said anything, might you not notice for a while? :amazed:

Lose Dunnell, Fisher and Coleman. Lecavalier sounds like a good replacement. Al Michaels did Miracle on Ice call for ABC sports. Sam Rosen for the Rangers and Mike Emerick for the Devils has been a two-decade tradition. Everybody has an opinion on Rick Jeannarett. Barry Melrose?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Too much of a whip.

Foster Hewitt, Don Cherry, Jim Robson and Bob Cole are all broadcasters. You've gotta have broadcasters. A broadcaster is a voice you know and -- sometimes -- a face. Broadcasters talk to you personally 82 times a season.

Milt Dunnell, Red Fisher and Jim Coleman are all writers. Writers suck. You don't know their voice or their face -- just their typewriter. You read their opinions the next day, the emotions dulled by time and possibly even altered by an editor. Broadcasters are your friend on the radio who watches the game with you. Writers aren't even neccessarily human.

If your team's local beat writer was replaced and nobody said anything, might you not notice for a while? :amazed:

Lose Dunnell, Fisher and Coleman. Lecavalier sounds like a good replacement. Al Michaels did Miracle on Ice call for ABC sports. Sam Rosen has been doing the calls for the Rangers for decades. Everybody has an opinion on Rick Jeannarett. Barry Melrose?

If we're in a position to add more than one broadcaster, Gallivan gets a nod IMO.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
aren't we going to be drafting 32 broadcasters at the end of the draft?

that should satisfy any desire to honour any more of them

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I say switch the lecavalier one and leave it at that.
picard.gif

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Too much of a whip.

Milt Dunnell, Red Fisher and Jim Coleman are all writers. Writers suck. You don't know their voice or their face -- just their typewriter. You read their opinions the next day, the emotions dulled by time and possibly even altered by an editor. Broadcasters are your friend on the radio who watches the game with you.

Lose Dunnell, Fisher and Coleman. Lecavalier sounds like a good replacement. Al Michaels did Miracle on Ice call for ABC sports. Sam Rosen for the Rangers and Mike Emerick for the Devils has been a two-decade tradition. Everybody has an opinion on Rick Jeannarett. Barry Melrose?
The censored version of what I have to say is simple: screw you.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Open hostility is disturbing.

This is supposed to be fun and what HAS set this board apart from most HFBoards has been the civility. I get pretty sick and tired of the potshots on many of the boards.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You have 10,000 posts in the last two and a half years, many of them on the History board.

That demonstrates you are active and knowledgeable.

I hope so.. While I waste tons of time on HF.. near everyday... I hope I can make the knowledgeable posts I need to make to be in the All-time draft.

LAX attack*

I would like to register for the draft, I would be willing to work with anyone as a co-GM

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Open hostility is disturbing.

This is supposed to be fun and what HAS set this board apart from most HFBoards has been the civility. I get pretty sick and tired of the potshots on many of the boards.

Open hostility? I am a hockey writer. This is what was stated from cottonking.

"Writers suck. You don't know their voice or their face -- just their typewriter."

Damn right I'm going to get hostile. A significant part of my life is devoted to writing about hockey.

Guess what, cottonking? The hockey writer is the one who still has to work the hardest. The hockey writer is the one who is at practice every day. He's the one who, in the case of the daily papers, has to work until very late at night, crafting a story for the next day's paper. The play-by-play guy works hard, don't get me wrong (I don't want mullin all over me for this post). But usually it's the beat reporter for the radio or TV station who covers the practices, and goes into the locker rooms to gather the quotes after the game. (A little different for a guy like mullin, who has to call the game and get the post-game feedback). But the radio and TV people usually just have to get a few quotes, a few sound bytes, or video clips, for the post-game show that night. If you want real insight, real in-depth coverage for the game, the hockey writers are still your best bet.

I knew who the beat writers for the papers in Vancouver were back when I was 10, long before I ever gained an interest in becoming a hockey writer.

Jim Coleman (the man who introduced many a B.C. fan to hockey and sports history), Red Fischer and Milt Dunnell are more than deserving of having their names on our championships.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The censored version of what I have to say is simple: screw you.
That is the censored version?

I was a professional journalist for a few years, even covering the Vancouver Canucks training camp. I recall Ohlund swearing at Brashear after an overly physical check into the boards during an early morning practice. :biglaugh: I wrote about it but it was cut from the final, shorter piece that ran.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad