ATD #9 Sign-up and Preliminary Discussion

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
That's true, but building a proper team worthy of the ATD takes alot of research and time and thought which I know for a fact I can't handle alone currently because I really overdid it this semester with school and I'm co-running the Top 100 List project with Hockey Outsider. Since I haven't done an ATD before I don't even have a working list to start off of and would definitely need to begin working on one, a task that could easily require all my time and energy for at least a weekend and probably longer. I simply can't commit to these requirements currently. Now, if someone who has been through the ATD wars needed a hand or someone to bounce thoughts off of as an assistant I'm sure there would be no problems timewise for me there and I'd gladly participate in a lesser role like that.

i gues i could learn a thing or 2 from u then mister;)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Joey's going in round 23. ;) We have 20 teams. If you posted the draft order before 6PM ET Sunday so we can start planning our strategies, it would be sweet! :thumbu:
The sign-up thread has been up for only TWO (2) days !!!!!!!!!

I just now, this very hour, PM'd some past g.m. greats to inform them about the sign-up period, so even if they are away for the weekend they'll know monday or tuesday.

Pms just sent to: wisent, Bluebleeder, pnep, #66, Pwnasaurus, murphy, reckoning, go kim johnsson, HankyFourFingers

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I can't believe we only have 20 teams so far. We thought about creating a second division since we had too much demand to get a team, and now we only have 20 teams?

Contraction, at least short-term, might not be such a bad thing, although it means a lot of first round byes or a playoff system in which only the top 16 teams in the league are in. If we go forward with fewer than 28 teams, a change in the playoff system will be pretty much a given, though that's not necessarily such a bad thing, as the 7 and 8 seeds never seem to advance past the round of sixteen, anyway.

A 24 team league, for example, would have to hand out eight first round byes to reach the magic 16 for the second round under the old system. That's past the point of absurdity, in my opinion.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
what the hell... I'll re-arrange my month-long May holiday to be close to the Internet

:bb: VanIslander & Frightened Inmate #2 will co-g.m. a team in the ATD#9

Franchise name to be announced.

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The sign-up thread has been up for only TWO (2) days !!!!!!!!!

I just now, this very hour, PM'd some past g.m. greats to inform them about the sign-up period, so even if they are away for the weekend they'll know monday or tuesday.

Pms just sent to: wisent, Bluebleeder, pnep, #66, Pwnasaurus, murphy, reckoning, go kim johnsson, HankyFourFingers

Yep. We have two weeks before the draft even starts, and draft position isn't a prerequisite for developing a list and the direction you want to take your team in. Right now the plan is to cap things off in a week, or once we hit 28 teams which seems to be the preferred # for a cap. Also, once we hear back from the former GMs who were PM'd we'll have a better idea of what the GM list will look like.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Hey all,

got a PM from one of the long-time ADT GMs. SOunds like a fine old time. I'll sign up as a GM, or co-GM as long as somebody will accept my team name:

The Brooklyn Yawning Otters
PrinceGeorgeCougars2.GIF

As a first-timer, is there some kind of mentor program? or am I left to burn and flail on my own?

Has anybody picked John Davidson as their play-by-play?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
what the hell... I'll re-arrange my month-long May holiday to be close to the Internet

:bb: VanIslander & Frightened Inmate #2 will co-g.m. a team in the ATD#9

Franchise name to be announced.
Peace in our time. The two biggest rivals in the draft have apparently joined forces.

What I wouldn't give to be able to read the PMs between these two GMs as they discuss their options.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Peace in our time. The two biggest rivals in the draft have apparently joined forces.

What I wouldn't give to be able to read the PMs between these two GMs as they discuss their options.
Well, I thought of being the Spokane Canaries, from the PCHL of 1916 and 1917 and FI#2 stated in a PM that it's "a horrible name for a hockey club". :cf: So we haven't agreed on a team name yet.

But be scared, be very scared, when we agree on things. :cheers: It'll be golden!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Well, I thought of being the Spokane Canaries, from the PCHL of 1916 and 1917 and FI#2 stated in a PM that it's "a horrible name for a hockey club". :cf: So we haven't agreed on a team name yet.

But be scared, be very scared, when we agree on things. :cheers: It'll be golden!
My Valetta squad is looking for new management ...

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My Valetta squad is looking for new management ...
ha ha.. you know what i think about that Poodle name :rolleyes:

i like silly names as long as they are REAL names of ice hockey teams (that's half the humour!): like...

Topeka ScareCrows
LOGO-PAST-TopekaScarecrows.jpg

Richmond Sockeyes
RichmondSockeyes.GIF

Muskegon Zephyrs
LogoIhlMuskegonZephyrs.jpg

San Diego Gulls
SanDiegoGulls.jpg

Fayetteville FireAntz
fireantz.jpg

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If any rookies (never been an ATD or MLD GM, AAA only GMs are welcome) are interested, I've started a rookies club. Please PM me and I'll add you to the list. :)

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Unfortunately I’ll be very busy during tax season (April) so I probably won’t be around for discussion as much as usual, but I should be good after that.

Mandatory voting-- although there’s usually less participation towards the end of the drafts, mandatory voting might force some participants into make quick, rushed votes that aren’t fully researched. Keeping tracking of who voted, and publishing those results at the end would be a good idea, as this would provide some social pressure to keep up-to-date, but mandatory voting is going too far.

The minor league drafts have proven that there’s enough talent to support 30+ teams. We could probably even extend it to 40 without watering things down too much. However, the costs of expansions are a slower draft, and less familiarity with each team. Based on what I thought about the speed and complexity of the last draft, I’d prefer limiting this to 30-32 teams.

GBC suggested “12 hours for rounds 1 to 8, 8 hours for rounds 9 to 16, 6 hours for rounds 17 to 21, and 4 hours for rounds 22 to 24?â€. This sounds good to me—PMing is the way to go.

I like the idea of choosing a play-by-play commentator at the end. Whatever we can do to shine some light on forgotten parts of NHL history would be great.

Brooklyn Yawning Otters is my favourite team name.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Changed My Vote

Mandatory voting-- although there’s usually less participation towards the end of the drafts, mandatory voting might force some participants into make quick, rushed votes that aren’t fully researched. Keeping tracking of who voted, and publishing those results at the end would be a good idea, as this would provide some social pressure to keep up-to-date, but mandatory voting is going too far.
Although I voted yes (I changed my vote), I was wrong. Forcing people to vote will mean some will flip a coin to keep eligible for future drafts. Always nice to read your posts, my friend. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad