ATD 2021 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Sorry for the delay, I'm not sure which direction to go, so I'll pick up Claude Provost, RW.

Provost is probably the best defensive RWer on board. An excellent skater, he was used along with Henri Richard to check Bobby Hull in the 1960s.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Will Provost ever fall to the 3rd line where he belongs?

He only twice hit the 20-goal mark, and his playoff scoring rate is worse.

He is the first of several EXCELLENT defensive forwards to come. The question is: Where in the line-up do they belong?

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Will Provost ever fall to the 3rd line where he belongs?

He only twice hit the 20-goal mark, and his playoff scoring rate is worse.

He is the.first of several EXCELLENT defensive forwards. The question is: Where in the line-up do they belong?

Defensive RWers of his caliber who can still chip in offensively at ES don't grow on trees. For now Provost is on my 3rd line, but he might play with Hull and Schmidt, especially because he has the speed to match those two speedy gentlemen.

Lots of elite defensive LWers and centers; very few RWers.

Reactions: Dirt 101

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
EDIT: None of OV, Lindsay or Kharlamov are in your division (and you have Hull). So it wasn't a strategic pick.

Ovechkin and Mahovlich are in my conference.

If someone in my division picked Provost, I would have been put into a tough match-up I want to avoid. And I know they would have picked him up sooner or later.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'll pick a guy who gives my defense some much added snarl, a guy who was defense-first, but still managed to finish top 5 in scoring among NHL defensemen 3 times

Fern Flaman, D

Norris record:

1955: 3rd (behind Harvey and Kelly)
1956: 5th
1957: 3rd (behind Harvey and Kelly)
1958: 3rd (behind Harvey and Gadsby)
1959: 5th

In a 1958 coach's poll, Flaman finished top 3 for "best defensive defenseman" along with Harvey (who ran away with 1st) and Pronovost. He also finished 1st in the "best fighter" category. This is the only coach's poll from the Original 6 period of which I'm aware.

Flaman was probably the best player on the Bruins teams that went to back to back Cup finals in 1957 and 1958

LOH: "Basing his game on discipline and a strong physical presence, Ferdinand Charles Flaman was one of the game's top stay-at-home defensemen in the 1950s. Although he contributed to his team's transitional game when needed, it was as an open-ice bodychecker and for his ability to clear opponents from around his goal that Flaman acquired his reputation."

Old bio: ATD2011 Bio Thread

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'll pick a guy who gives my defense some much added snarl, a guy who was defense-first, but still managed to finish top 5 in scoring among NHL defensemen 3 times

Fern Flaman, D

Norris record:

1955: 3rd (behind Harvey and Kelly)
1956: 5th
1957: 3rd (behind Harvey and Kelly)
1958: 3rd (behind Harvey and Gadsby)
1959: 5th

In a 1958 coach's poll finished top 3 for "best defensive defenseman" along with Harvey (who ran away with 1st) and Pronovost. He also finished 1st in the "best fighter" category.

Flaman was probably the best player on the Bruins teams that went to back to back Cup finals in 1957 and 1958

LOH: "Basing his game on discipline and a strong physical presence, Ferdinand Charles Flaman was one of the game's top stay-at-home defensemen in the 1950s. Although he contributed to his team's transitional game when needed, it was as an open-ice bodychecker and for his ability to clear opponents from around his goal that Flaman acquired his reputation."

Old bio: ATD2011 Bio Thread

Lucky guy, you got a steal.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'll take Bill White

I was briefly tempted to pick him just to f*** with you, but I think White is harder to find a partner for than Flaman.

On the other hand, you have the perfect partner for White. Kind of weird to draft Stapleton before White, but I guess it worked out for you

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
3 good D picks there with Flaman, White, and Thomson. My original plan was to target one of those 3 to play with Harvey on my shutdown pairing, but then Pospisil fell and I made the trade with Nabby.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’ll select a player generally considered as Bobby Hull before Bobby Hull became Bobby Hull. Widely regarded as having the hardest shot of his era as well as being the fastest skater. He provides offense while also bringing a solid overall two-way game.

“Cannonball” RW, Didier Pitre.

image.jpg

Reactions: Dirt 101

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I’ll select a player generally considered as Bobby Hull before Bobby Hull became Bobby Hull. Widely regarded as having the hardest shot of his era as well as being the fastest skater. He provides offense while also bringing a solid overall two-way game.

“Cannonball” RW, Didier Pitre.

image.jpg

If I remember correctly, there is no evidence that Pitre was a two-way forward, and every description we have of Pitre’s defensive game is from when he was playing D.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
If I remember correctly, there is no evidence that Pitre was a two-way forward, and every description we have of Pitre’s defensive game is from when he was playing D.

Well, I guess I should day he has solid two-way “capabilities” then. Not necessarily a two-way forward, but it can be assumed based on his time spent on D that he doesn’t have a mind strictly for offense-only.

But make no mistake, his will be tasked on bringing offense.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Well, I guess I should day he has solid two-way “capabilities” then. Not necessarily a two-way forward, but it can be assumed based on his time spent on D that he doesn’t have a mind strictly for offense-only.

But make no mistake, his will be tasked on bringing offense.

I feel like we kinda hashed that first point out, maybe in the previous thread. Most of these early stars played games from D occasionally like Lalonde. But the consensus was the fact they could play D doesn't really say anything about their defence as a forward. Rover is really international waters since the position seemed to do everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad