ATD 2021 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Mikhailov and Crosby would likely gel together for the reasons I mentioned above. Not only does BM have the physical style that plays well next to Sid, he's regarded highly upstairs from everything that has been gathered on him. He was an incredible leader and could match Sid's intensity. It's a money duo IMO.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
The Ottawa Senators select one of the great players of the 1990s and one of the great all-time two-way centres.

Sergei Fedorov, C

hi-res-765318-center-sergei-fedorov-of-the-detroit-red-wings-skates_crop_650.jpg

Highlights:
  • An all-time great skater
  • Hart Trophy winner and two-time Selke winner
  • During his tenure in Detroit, the Wings won the Cup 3 times in 13 seasons. Fedorov led his team in regular season plus-minus (+276, GF/GA ratio of 1.49), regular season goals scored (400),and playoff plus-minus (+38). He led all players in playoff points (50 G, 113 A, 163 points in 162 GP).

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Some guys raise their games in the play offs. Marcel Dionne certainly isn’t one of those guys.

Maine guys wilt under the pressure. I do t think Dionne is one of those guys either.

His point production does go down in the playoffs, but at about the same rate as league-wide scoring. Maybe he is slightly worse in the playoffs, but even if you make him slightly worse, he’s one of the best offensive players ever.

It didn't help Dionne that he was mostly a one man show in LA for many years. I posted this in another section of the board when someone asked on who the greatest LA King was.

Agreed. It was basically Dionne and who else can you throw out there with me on most nights. In the 11 full season's Dionne was a King, he lead the team in scoring 9 times. The only 2 years that he didn't, was 1983/84 as he finished 2nd to xxx 95 to 92 points ( Dionne missed 14 games to injury) and in 1985/86 ( finished 2nd again to xxx 97 to 94 points) The 9 years he did lead the Kings in scoring, he averaged 24.8 points AHEAD of the 2nd place finisher on the team. Here are the numbers.
It was never Dionne's fault that the Kings didn't have playoff success, it was bad management from the top. He really had no one else that was near his level ( except the Triple Crown line seasons).

Reactions: Dirt 101

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
There were a couple of other centres I was looking at but in the end I wanted someone who could skate with Bobby Orr, Howie Morenz, Cyclone Taylor, and Henri Richard in my division.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’m up after BraveCanadian, and I keep going back and fourth between two options. I’m really struggling between the two. :laugh::help:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
More than in any ATD I've been in, this is the one where GMs are building their teams in function of their division. I have never seen it so pronounced before.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
More than in any ATD I've been in, this is the one where GMs are building their teams in function of their divisions. I have never seen it so pronounced before.

Probably has to do with how strong the divisions are as a whole. Two in particular are practically a murderers row of GM’s who know how to build winning clubs. But all are strong. This entire group of 24 GM’s.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Mikhailov and Crosby would likely gel together for the reasons I mentioned above. Not only does BM have the physical style that plays well next to Sid, he's regarded highly upstairs from everything that has been gathered on him. He was an incredible leader and could match Sid's intensity. It's a money duo IMO.

Was Boris fast enough? Off the top of my head, I can’t remember, but for some reason I am picturing his weakness as speed.

As I said, its not a bad match.... but if he has the speed to keep up, its a very good match.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Was Boris fast enough? Off the top of my head, I can’t remember, but for some reason I am picturing his weakness as speed.

As I said, its not a bad match.... but if he has the speed to keep up, its a very good match.

Crosby plays a lot more of a cycle game than north/south so speed isn't the factor it might with with other C's (think early era guy like Taylor). Obviously you don't want lugs on both wings but I don't recall Mikhailov reading like that as it were. I would have to brush up on on his resume though.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Probably has to do with how strong the divisions are as a whole. Two in particular are practically a murderers row of GM’s who know how to build winning clubs. But all are strong. This entire group of 24 GM’s.

If I'm being honest, I feel like a bit of a weak link. Don't get me wrong, this is fun, and it's something I think I want to remain active in in the future, but being a rookie does feel a bit like jumping into the deep end.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If I'm being honest, I feel like a bit of a weak link. Don't get me wrong, this is fun, and it's something I think I want to remain active in in the future, but being a rookie does feel a bit like jumping into the deep end.

No rookie has ever won the ATD as far as I'm aware, but many have won in their 2nd-4th drafts. The first is the toughest because there are many players you know nothing about. This gets solved subconsciously as you absorb info participating in drafts year after year. Plus you get to know some players more in depth.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

As BB stated, the deck is stacked against any rookie GM to win on their first go-around. But that’s not to say it’s impossible.

Any GM in their first year doing this should be taking in as much as possible. Study, learn, read bio’s, do your own mental breakdowns of each lineup as they are being created.

Each year you’ll be more prepared.

But do your best to kick ass this year. Remember, most of us (hopefully) ignore the name of the GM when it’s time to vote.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
@Professor What I think you are doing a damn fine job so far. It's still early, and you definitely didn't take an easy/vanilla path, but you have a strong nucleus to build around.

There are plenty of GMs that you can go to with questions/ideas- for example, I would be happy to listen/discuss things with you if you would like.

Reactions: Professor What

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
This was really tough.. there are three different positions I really liked guys for that will not be around for my next pick. But, as usual in this draft, I will throw my plan out the window and take this guy to make sure I don't give up much in net against anyone:

B88965619Z.1_20191203142320_000_GNGQIJMV.3-0_Gallery.jpg

G, Ken Dryden

@Habsfan18 - you're up!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
This was really tough.. there are three different positions I really liked guys for that will not be around for my next pick. But, as usual in this draft, I will throw my plan out the window and take this guy to make sure I don't give up much in net against anyone:

B88965619Z.1_20191203142320_000_GNGQIJMV.3-0_Gallery.jpg

G, Ken Dryden

@Habsfan18 - you're up!

That's disappointing. Good pick.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There is a winger that I think would slot really nicely beside Firsov and Messier, and it really hurts me to pass up on him..

I didn’t intend to go in this direction so soon..but, since Brodeur and Tretiak are already in my division, it looks like I should probably go ahead and get my guy now. I don’t want to be saddled with the “worst” goaltender in my division. So yes, this reactionary based on my division.

But damnit, I didn’t want to go goaltender this early.

But I also really like this guy.

Best goaltender of his era. Was probably robbed of a few more 1st-team all-star nods. And The Rocket called him the toughest goaltender to beat of those that he played against.

Mr. Zero. G, Frank Brimsek

B3A4279C-7282-474F-98CC-EE220DBEF5E8.jpeg

His biography, authored by our very own @nabby12.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
No rookie has ever won the ATD as far as I'm aware, but many have won in their 2nd-4th drafts. The first is the toughest because there are many players you know nothing about. This gets solved subconsciously as you absorb info participating in drafts year after year. Plus you get to know some players more in depth.

Right now, I feel like I have at least a decent understanding of the players and what's going on, but I feel like the deeper we go, the more I'm going to have to learn about a lot of those players, and that's where I really feel like I'm out of my depth. I'm hoping to absorb a lot in the later rounds.

As BB stated, the deck is stacked against any rookie GM to win on their first go-around. But that’s not to say it’s impossible.

Any GM in their first year doing this should be taking in as much as possible. Study, learn, read bio’s, do your own mental breakdowns of each lineup as they are being created.

Each year you’ll be more prepared.

But do your best to kick ass this year. Remember, most of us (hopefully) ignore the name of the GM when it’s time to vote.

I don't have much doubt of getting a fair shake because of my dealings with the regular HOH group, since folks around here take their hockey history pretty seriously.

Any suggestions on good ways to break down rosters and matchups?

@Professor What I think you are doing a damn fine job so far. It's still early, and you definitely didn't take an easy/vanilla path, but you have a strong nucleus to build around.

There are plenty of GMs that you can go to with questions/ideas- for example, I would be happy to listen/discuss things with you if you would like.

Thanks for the offer. I've found there's a good bit of that in this group, which I appreciate. Early on, I wanted to make sure I had a group that could physically assert itself to make sure I didn't have a team that could be pushed around easily but still get guys that had some skills. I do feel like I've had success there so far, but I hope I can fill in the holes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad