ATD 2021 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's not adjusted, but it's a peer. One man's trivia is another man's fact. He did win a Retro Connie tho.

Most of their careers didn't overlap, and two of Richard's over ppg playoffs were in war years when Syl Apps was serving... ie. Richard's best statistical playoff (by raw numbers) should have an * on it.

Reactions: tinyzombies

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The product of neither a dynasty nor a stacked blueline, the 7-time 1st team all-star (plus 4-time 2nd teamer - 11 years a star during a stacked HHOF-goalie league), 7-time Stanley Cup Final running netminder who played 500+ consecutive games (in a tough, physical era), known as Mr. Goalie, had begun by easily winning the Calder, eventually winning the Conn Smythe on a losing team, and was deemed the 16th best player of all time on The Hockey News list in 1998,...

the Jackals select 69th overall...

Glenn Hall.

Playing goal for the Chicago Black Hawks is a little like fielding bricks with an eye socket. The big, bruising, fast-skating muscular Hawk forwards are determined to beat the frozen inferno out of any team they can catch; the trouble is they can't always catch them. The result is that while Hawk forwards are milling malignantly around the other fellow's goal looking for somebody to bruise, the other fellow's forwards (particularly if they happen to be the fast-skating Montreal Canadiens) are more than likely at the Chicago end swarming all over Goalie Hall.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Been waiting for a while to make this pick as I expected a run on this position and how good this player is. I got my centre, I got my defenseman, now's the time to pick my franchise goalie and what a goalie he is.

Welcome to Cleveland at Pick 71 of the 2021 ATD Goaltender Martin Brodeur.

635579674528607169-martin-brodeur-main.jpg

Next has been pmed.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I could soon be otc again but I'm looking to trade down from 74 to the 80's if anyone is interested.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have Johnny's proxy

Evgeni Malkin, C

When Syl Apps was being discussed earlier, it made me think of Malkin. Both dynamic, equally dangerous as both a goal scorer and playmaker, big, and physical in the sense that they used/use their size to fight through opponents, never backing down, but not ones to initiate. Does this track with anyone else?

One area of difference seems to be leadership, with Apps a strong leader and Malkin not having much of a reputation there.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When Syl Apps was being discussed earlier, it made me think of Malkin. Both dynamic, equally dangerous as both a goal scorer and playmaker, big, and physical in the sense that they used/use their size to fight through opponents, never backing down, but not ones to initiate. Does this track with anyone else?

One area of difference seems to be leadership, with Apps a strong leader and Malkin not having much of a reputation there.

Apps bigger star in his era, seen in a more favorable light.

Malkin is weird in the ATD, he's stuck in some sort of limbo, a no man's land among 1st line centers. It's been what? Ever since the 2017 run it's like we don't really know what to do with him.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Apps bigger star in his era, seen in a more favorable light.

Malkin is weird in the ATD, he's stuck in some sort of limbo, a no man's land among 1st line centers. It's been what? Ever since the 2017 run it's like we don't really know what to do with him.

Agree, I definitely have Apps over Malkin, I was just talking about style of play.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I have Glitch's proxy:

Mark Howe, D

Marcel Dionne, C

Mark Howe is absolutely a legit #1 dman at even strength in this, albeit lower end. But nice job getting him now when you didn't have one of those.

He's not really a #1 on either special team, so you need to work around that. But "#1 by committee" absolutely can work.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The praise on Apps is more often on his CHARACTER, on him as a gentleman and model for youth to follow.

I have never drafted him because when i scratch and sniff (beyond the popularity contest of his era of Hart voting), he doesn't tick so many other boxes for top-50 all time (though ninja-discounting his WWII years helps).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The praise on Apps is more often on his CHARACTER, on him as a gentleman and model for youth to follow.

I have never drafted him because when i scratch and sniff (beyond the popularity contest of his era of Hart voting), he doesn't tick so many other boxes for top-50 all time (though ninja-discounting his WWII years helps).

Apps was one of the guys most hurt by leaving during the war.

Probably hurt more than any player who wasn't a Kraut

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm a diehard Penguins fan and would take Apps without hesitation if I could only choose between the 2 for my #1 C role.

That's not an indictment on Malkin, he's absolutely worthy to go where he did. I just think Apps proved more as THE GUY. Malkin has largely benefited from getting easier assignments due to some guy named Crosby. Apps is also MONEY in the postseason. Malkin has a nice peak but can't match longevity.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Apps was one of the guys most hurt by leaving during the war.

Probably hurt more than any player who wasn't a Kraut

Five straight top-3 Hart finishes interrupted by the war makes me wonder how long that might have gone on, especially when looking at how well he played after the interruption. There's no doubt he could still play when he retired.

Reactions: tinyzombies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad