ATD 2021 Draft Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Speaking of the Expos, there are always a few delusional businessmen and politicians hoping to bring them back to Montreal. It would be a monumental fiasco IMO. The passion just isn't deep enough for it. Just a nice curiosity.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
When I was a boy, I thought hockey was the most popular sport on earth, while the rest were marginal, secondary sports (football, basketball, soccer). I saw Baseball as the 2nd most important. This wasn't my opinion as much as the air I was breathing in Montreal. I wasn't aware that it was different elsewhere.

I learned to skate earlier than my living memory reaches. Hockey was just it.

When I was a boy in Montreal everyone played baseball it was equal to hockey for about 5 years until it was clear that the team was not going to be able to compete every year with the big money teams that did not fly in Montreal because we were spoiled. I remember being bored when the Habs won in 1978

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When I was a boy in Montreal everyone played baseball it was equal to hockey for about 5 years until it was clear that the team was not going to be able to compete every year with the big money teams that did not fly in Montreal because we were spoiled

Everyone played baseball in my youth too, but the popularity took second best to hockey. You grew up in the 1970s? Interesting that baseball was on equal footing back then.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
When I was a boy in Montreal everyone played baseball it was equal to hockey for about 5 years until it was clear that the team was not going to be able to compete every year with the big money teams that did not fly in Montreal because we were spoiled. I remember being bored when the Habs won in 1978

When I was young, seemed that life was so wonderful - a miracle - oh it was beautiful, magical.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I remember being bored when the Habs won in 1978

You're not the first to tell me something like that. In 1976 it was the first dynasty cup, I assume there was a huge buzz around the team finally coming together. Then in 1977 the confirmation repeat. But in 1978 it was probably too easy, too redundant. Then in 1979 cracks starting to show, and the classic Boston series.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
When I was a boy, I thought hockey was the most popular sport on earth, while the rest were marginal, secondary sports (football, basketball, soccer). I saw Baseball as the 2nd most important. This wasn't my opinion as much as the air I was breathing in Montreal. I wasn't aware that it was different elsewhere.

I learned to skate earlier than my living memory reaches. Hockey was just it.

I grew up north of Toronto. My memory as a kid in the early 90s is that baseball was bigger than hockey. We all played baseball at school and various schoolyard baseball-type games. I took my baseball glove to school regularly in the fall and spring.

Then I moved to Ottawa and nobody played baseball. Hockey was #1 and soccer was the summer sport. It was a bit of a shock. I had never played soccer in the schoolyard before outside of gym class.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm from Vancouver Island, B.C.

Soccer was the #2 sport. Tons of games at local fields on weekends. It's played through the rainy winters. My dad and I used to go watch high schoolers (like Minnesota does with hockey).

I was a huge Vancouver Whitecaps fan, MLS champions when I was 10 years old (I wore their white home jersey out! It became thinner and thinner in the wash and by high school was too small to stretch enough to wear even at home *sigh*)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I grew up north of Toronto. My memory as a kid in the early 90s is that baseball was bigger than hockey. We all played baseball at school and various schoolyard baseball-type games. I took my baseball glove to school regularly in the fall and spring.

Then I moved to Ottawa and nobody played baseball. Hockey was #1 and soccer was the summer sport. It was a bit of a shock. I had never played soccer in the schoolyard before outside of gym class.

Interesting. So baseball was bigger in Ontario than in Quebec (for the sake of discussion, I'm including the Ottawa area in Quebec). Nowadays which is most popular, the Leafs or the Blue Jays?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Can we at least all agree that soccer is an abomination, especially as all the baseball fields in municipal parks are being replaced by soccer fields?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Two picks ago i had a two-man shortlist: one should have already been drafted and is at a position i would rather wait on but the value would be good; the other would have been a bit early in terms of relative value but ideal in terms of team-building strategy.

So what did i do?

I traded down, hoping to get one later.

Now I realize I get both! :) Glenn Hall and...

(Pick to come shortly)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

I spent summers in Toronto in the late 70s and early 80s because my grandmother lived there so I played a lot of baseball there

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
LL has spoken!

Alex Delvechhio, LW/C
One of the most talented and classiest stars ever to play in the NHL, Alex "Fats" Delvecchio spent more than two decades with the Detroit Red Wings. He was a superior playmaker and team leader and one of the game's true gentlemen. When he retired in 1973, he trailed only long-time teammate Gordie Howe in games played, assists and total points. His career extended from Detroit's glory years of the early 1950s to their dismal 1970s

Thanks for making the pick

Reactions: ResilientBeast

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Interesting. So baseball was bigger in Ontario than in Quebec (for the sake of discussion, I'm including the Ottawa area in Quebec). Nowadays which is most popular, the Leafs or the Blue Jays?

I’m still in the Ottawa area so I don’t have the same firsthand experience in Southern Ontario, but I’m pretty sure the Leafs are far more popular than the Blue Jays. The Jays had a good run in the late 80s and early 90 but were never as popular after the championship glow from 1992 and 1993 wore off. And I think soccer is taking over there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad